User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Results 231 to 240 of 264

  1. #231
    Senior Member ZiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I would like to point out that the poor and uneducated gave us F.D.R. and Truman. There was a time, that extended up to very recently, when you could assume that the lower class people would support the Democrats more than the upper class would.
    True. Can anyone give me a brief rundown on why that allegiance switched? Did part of it have to do with the Moral Majority and Reagan? A switch from a focus on the economy to a focus on cultural values?

    My other grandparents were dirt poor and they've been life-long Democrats, even to now.

  2. #232
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was a bad thing. It clearly violates the principle of free association.
    It's nice to know somebody else thinks this way too. Let's also address the fact that the economic and social situation of Blacks was improving anyways, which begs the question as to whether or not it was even necessary to begin with.

  3. #233
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's nice to know somebody else thinks this way too. Let's also address the fact that the economic and social situation of Blacks was improving anyways, which begs the question as to whether or not it was even necessary to begin with.
    Things were getting better for blacks post-WWII, but it was slow going. I actually think that the other huge programs of LBJ (i.e., the Great Society) have held black people back in major ways. The levels of black poverty since 1970 have remained about the same, despite hundreds of billions spent at ending poverty in America. School choice would be a great first step on this issue, because, at this point in history, a shameful lack of educational opportunities has way more to do with black poverty than does individual racism, drugs, weak "family values," or whatever chimera in which people choose to believe.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #234
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I actually think that the other huge programs of LBJ (i.e., the Great Society) have held black people back in major ways.
    Yes, that's the great irony of the legacy of the Civil Rights movement - it practically made Blacks more dependent on the government than previously; and as a result the foundations of the Black community has crumbled.

    Further tragic is the fact that many leaders of the Black community refuse to address this crisis honestly. Instead they like to blame "racism" and "slavery" for all their condition. The reality is far different, Blacks face a severe internal crisis. Whatever challenges the legacy of "racism" and "slavery" pose, the Black community in recent decades has not adequately addressed those challenges in order to overcome it.

  5. #235
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes, that's the great irony of the legacy of the Civil Rights movement - it practically made Blacks more dependent on the government than previously; and as a result the foundations of the Black community has crumbled.

    Further tragic is the fact that many leaders of the Black community refuse to address this crisis honestly. Instead they like to blame "racism" and "slavery" for all their condition. The reality is far different, Blacks face a severe internal crisis. Whatever challenges the legacy of "racism" and "slavery" pose, the Black community in recent decades has not adequately addressed those challenges in order to overcome it.
    I agree with this! It seems that whenever a celebrity of the black community, like Bill Crosby I know has often done, speaks about the problems within the community being internal, it's met with a lot of frowning and not given the foundation it should.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  6. #236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It depends on which departments you are talking about, but most universities lean left, or are dominated by the left. Economics and the applied sciences are pretty mixed.
    Not really.

    "Several studies are cited. One of them, a national survey of more than 1,000 academics, shows that Democratic professors outnumber Republicans by at least seven to one in the humanities and social sciences.

    Another faculty study found a nine-to-one ratio of Democrats to Republicans on the faculties of Berkeley and Stanford. That study included the hard sciences and engineering (where good sense is reputed to prevail)."
    Full Article - http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...dies-find.html

    I've already cited the numbers on economists and here is more back up on my claims re: higher education.

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was a bad thing. It clearly violates the principle of free association.
    Wow. So you guys are against the civil rights act too? So you guys wished the Jim Crow laws were never repealed? It's simply amazing how right wing and uninformed some of you who post in the politics section really are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I would like to point out that the poor and uneducated gave us F.D.R. and Truman. There was a time, that extended up to very recently, when you could assume that the lower class people would support the Democrats more than the upper class would.
    That was until the right co-opted the poor and un-educated with their platform of fear (terrorism), guns, the bible and gay marriage. My hats are off to the right to pull this off and get them to vote against their own best interests economically. It's pretty amazing really.
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I actually think that the other huge programs of LBJ (i.e., the Great Society) have held black people back in major ways.
    The war on poverty was changed to the war on drugs. We had tanks knocking down residences in Compton because they were doing drugs. The other wasteful and idiotic war the right sponsored (the War on Drugs) has been an utter failure at taxpayer expense. We incarcerate more people than anyone on earth with half of them there, for non violent drug offenses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Can you make yourself sound like any more of a condescending douche?
    I'm doing my best, I will try harder though. Considering many stopped posting in the politics section here because it's been dominated by ignorant right wingers without any argument for their absurd claims.

    What is the most condescending part, the fact that the better the school, or the more productive the state, the more likely they are to be democrat? or the fact the republicans have a large redneck and bible thumping constituency?

  7. #237
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Not really.

    "Several studies are cited. One of them, a national survey of more than 1,000 academics, shows that Democratic professors outnumber Republicans by at least seven to one in the humanities and social sciences.

    Another faculty study found a nine-to-one ratio of Democrats to Republicans on the faculties of Berkeley and Stanford. That study included the hard sciences and engineering (where good sense is reputed to prevail)."

    Full Article - http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...dies-find.html
    You named two universities. Congrats.


    Wow. So you guys are against the civil rights act too? So you guys wished the Jim Crow laws were never repealed? It's simply amazing how right wing and idiotic most of you who post in the politics section really are.
    Two completely different things. Jim Crow laws were BY THE GOVERNMENT to keep black people down. They are blatantly unconstitutional. However, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 forces people to accommodate each other in economic setting whether or not they want to do so. That should never happen. Since you can't see the unbelievably simple distinction there, you should really think before posting in this thread again.



    That was until the right co-opted the poor and un-educated with their platform of fear (terrorism), guns, the bible and gay marriage. My hats are off to the right to pull this off and get them to vote against their own best interests economically. It's pretty amazing really.
    People really do not vote based on economic self-interest in the United States, as I have stated countless times before on here.


    I'm doing my best, I will try harder though. Considering many stopped posting in the politics section here because it's been dominated by ignorant right wingers without any argument for their absurd claims.

    Ad hominem and baseless assertion. You're acting like everything you claim everyone else to be. Really, stop making a fool out of yourself.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Two completely different things. Jim Crow laws were BY THE GOVERNMENT to keep black people down. They are blatantly unconstitutional. However, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 forces people to accommodate each other in economic setting whether or not they want to do so. That should never happen. Since you can't see the unbelievably simple distinction there, you should really think before posting in this thread again.
    Uh yeah, I know they're different. The civil rights act REPEALED the Jim Crow laws. Without the civil rights act of '64, the south still wouldn't be serving blacks in white segregated restaurants.

    Desegregation doesn't necessarily mean affirmative action. You're arguing the act was actually bad for black people? yeah ok. I'm afraid any black person living at that time would disagree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You named two universities. Congrats.
    Opposed to your sources? Oh yeah, you have NO sources for your assertions.

    Incidentally, The 7 to 1 ratio was done with over 1,000 academics across several universities. Secondly, if you don't think this holds for Yale, Brown, MIT, etc etc, you are wrong. It's well known to anyone who attended those institutions. Try asking a friend who did.

  9. #239
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Uh yeah, I know their different. The civil rights act REPEALED the Jim Crow laws. Without the civil rights act of '64, the south still wouldn't be serving blacks in white segregated restaurants.

    Desegregation doesn't necessarily mean affirmative action. You're arguing the act was actually bad for black people? yeah ok.....
    You're completely wrong and out of your depth. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 made private discrimination illegal, which is NOT the same thing as simply repealing Jim Crow laws. Also, Jim Crow laws were being challenged in court and struck down on constitutional grounds since the 1910s. It was very slow going, but the government went the wrong way in 1964 and actually took rights away from people (i.e., the right of free association). You're not even making a coherent argument here. Did I mention affirmative action?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You're completely wrong and out of your depth. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 made private discrimination illegal, which is NOT the same thing as simply repealing Jim Crow laws. Also, Jim Crow laws were being challenged in court and struck down on constitutional grounds since the 1910s. It was very slow going, but the government went the wrong way in 1964 and actually took rights away from people (i.e., the right of free association). You're not even making a coherent argument here. Did I mention affirmative action?
    It in affect was the same. The Jim Crow laws were in full effect UNTIL the civil acts right of 1964. You're saying the Jim Crow laws evaporated on their own accord? Sure some found it unconstitutional but nothing was really done about it until..... you guessed it, the civil rights act of 1964.

    Jim Crow laws mandated de jure segregation in all public facilities, with a "separate but equal" status for black Americans and members of other non-white racial groups. The civil rights act outlawed racial segregation in schools, public places, and employment.

    I guess you didn't notice one cancels the other out, but ok, they have nothing to do with each other.

    From wikipedia on the civil rights act of '64:
    "It prohibited discrimination in public facilities, in government, and in employment, invalidating the Jim Crow laws in the southern U.S. It became illegal to compel segregation of the races in schools, housing, or hiring. Powers given to enforce the bill were initially weak, but were supplemented during later years."

    "Free association" as you put it, is just another way to say - we have the right to NOT serve niggers if we don't want too.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] entps: what's the worst thing to you of the things you hate ?
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 10:01 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Animals & MBTI (A thread brought to you via 'an attempt to satiate boredom')
    By FantailedWall in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 06:47 AM
  3. [ENTP] entps: what's the worst thing to you of the things you dread ?
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 12:47 AM
  4. These sensations brought to you by Alcohol
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO