First 132122232425 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Actually, high levels of education correlate positively with libertarianism and negatively with authoritarianism. The most educated amongst us generally want the government staying out of their businesses, both personal and economic.
    Well, there were a lot of Ron Paul supporters around here too back when he was running for the Republican nomination. But there is a heavy bias toward the Democratic party when it comes to actual voting records in these areas.

Just thinking...I'd be interested to find out what some of those Ron Paul supporters at my school are intending to do now. Some might vote 3rd party. But others?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    Well, there were a lot of Ron Paul supporters around here too back when he was running. But there is a heavy bias toward the Democratic party when it comes to actual voting records in these areas.

I don't doubt it. It depends on a lot of factors. Republicans in New England and the Mid-Atlantic had significantly higher levels of education than did Democrats until the last generation or two. It may have been that way in other parts of the country, too. It still is that way in some areas (we still have some rich, WASPy Republicans in the Philly suburbs, for instance, but a lot of their kids are turning out to be moderate Democrats). The trend worldwide is that the more wealth and education people tend to have, the more they demand freedom from the government. This is an example of a virtuous circle, since more freedom generally means more prosperity.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Actually, high levels of education correlate positively with libertarianism and negatively with authoritarianism. The most educated amongst us generally want the government staying out of their businesses, both personal and economic.
    Declaring war and spending trillions of dollars is pretty much the most intrusive and authoritarian thing one can do, with our tax dollars and with the lives of our troops.

Of course the educated veer from authoritarianism (which is why they hate republicans) - the faculties of the top universities in our country are democratic by a margin of 7 to 1. Schools of lesser caliber swing more right, as you go down in quality (but still lean left overall).

Republicans got the hillbillies who want to hunt deer with automatic weapons and think creationist museums belong in the education budget. The enlightened know how much of a farce Bush, McCain and the Republican party has been for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    This is something I forgot to mention. Tallahassee is very Democratic, and it's also statistically the most educated state in Florida. We have 2 universities and a large community college. It's a seething pit of liberalism .
    Makes sense, books tend to do that to people. I was in Chapel Hill, NC recently and that place is as liberal as New York city, if not more so. It's just the pig farmers in the rest of the state who still wish the civil rights act of 1964 was never passed, that prevent it from being blue.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    condescending BS
    Can you make yourself sound like any more of a condescending douche?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Oh, I'm sure it can. I just wonder if it can sound more childish than it already does.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I would like to point out that the poor and uneducated gave us F.D.R. and Truman. There was a time, that extended up to very recently, when you could assume that the lower class people would support the Democrats more than the upper class would.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's more than just fiscal conservatism. The war is stupid on many levels.

They didn't have WMDs. The administration forged documents to imply they were and lied to the public. They outed Valerie Plame's CIA status for political revenge for her husband, Joe Wilson, making these claims (which turned out to be correct).

What is that you support about the war? If you're not a fiscal conservative, what do you or other non fiscal conservatives, see as the purpose for this war? Obama wants to pull out and was against it from the start, McCain wants to stay indefinitely. And please don't say it's to help the Iraqi people or to spread democracy - because that's absurd.

I'm assuming you support the war, correct me if I'm wrong.

Most Urban areas are democratic for a reason. Folks with higher levels of education (which urban areas attract) tend to prefer the democratic party.

You hate obama supporters, the way I hate rednecks and bible thumpers. But I don't vote against McCain simply because I don't like dumb rednecks - I actually pay attention to their foreign policy and economic platforms.
    You sure do like that assuming thing. It is quite convenient for you. Saves you the time of asking, and waiting for the answer, and potentially get the wrong one so that you're unable to write the witty reply you had intended.

No. I don't support the war overall. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know enough about it to have a definite answer on what I want done.. but being over there, and seeing the war and the country as I have.. we are not ready to pull out right where we are. I don't think we should stay there indefinitely.. but I know we'll have done everything for nothing if we leave this instant.

Currently, the military is leaning heavily on Iraqi police training, which was our mission there. Once we teach the police how to do their jobs without being corrupt, and show the Iraqi people (believe it or not there are plenty of them that love us being there..) they can trust their own government and public services, then we can start pulling away. This process HAS already started, and I think it's a good thing to base our pulling out on. Every General that I met and saw over there, and all the big-wigs with more brass than a metal recycling shop on broke things down.. but EVERYONE is keen on pulling out. The only argument is the timelines.

I won't even get into such a broad generalization as "Democrats are in cities because they're smart!!". You ever been to a city? They're all retarded and janky. And terrible drivers to boot. A degree doesn't make you smart, I'll bet my ass on that. I know plenty of "educated" people that have as much common sense as a bowl of peanuts.

Right. It's not about politics.. People go to cities to make money. People living out in the country and aren't farmers tend to live out there to retire or get away from all that traffic and craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Oh, I'm sure it can. I just wonder if it can sound more childish than it already does.
    I can see why he likes Obama so much. They think alike.

So its not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who arent like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I would like to point out that the poor and uneducated gave us F.D.R. and Truman. There was a time, that extended up to very recently, when you could assume that the lower class people would support the Democrats more than the upper class would.
    Oh, we're not interested in details. Democrats are smart, and smart people live in cities. We can't be bothered with the fact that generalizations are usually janky, unstable things to go by, or with minute details like the ones you stated.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Declaring war and spending trillions of dollars is pretty much the most intrusive and authoritarian thing one can do, with our tax dollars and with the lives of our troops.
    Is there a rebuttal to what I wrote there? What I wrote is true.

Of course the educated veer from authoritarianism (which is why they hate republicans) - the faculties of the top universities in our country are democratic by a margin of 7 to 1. Schools of lesser caliber swing more right, as you go down in quality (but still lean left overall).
    It depends on which departments you are talking about, but most universities lean left, or are dominated by the left. Economics and the applied sciences are pretty mixed.

Republicans got the hillbillies who want to hunt deer with automatic weapons and think creationist museums belong in the education budget. The enlightened know how much of a farce Bush, McCain and the Republican party has been for decades.

Both hunting and automatic weapons are totally fine things. Creationist museums (like all museums) should be privately funded. No government involved at all.

Makes sense, books tend to do that to people. I was in Chapel Hill, NC recently and that place is as liberal as New York city, if not more so. It's just the pig farmers in the rest of the state who still wish the civil rights act of 1964 was never passed, that prevent it from being blue.

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was a bad thing. It clearly violates the principle of free association.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"