User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    When someone says 'cure', I picture someone actively doing something. I think more intervention. Neither of these candidates believe in less intervention. Neither one is going to roll things back in (what I believe to be) a positive way. And even if they did, I wouldn't see it as the president curing anything. I'd see it as the president taking his hands off things he shouldn't be touching with in the first place.
    So your main issue was that someone used the word "cure" in a way that you wouldn't use it? Ok, I'll make a mental note: the president does have power to effect the economy. Just don't use the word "cure". Problem solved.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

You do realize that all of those can be used to increase corporate power, right?
    Regulation can. Safety standards, workers rights..these ideas are big annoyances to companies.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Regulation can. Safety standards, workers rights..these ideas are big annoyances to companies.
    They drive up the costs of doing business, which is a good thing for established corporations that want less competition.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

They drive up the costs of doing business, which is a good thing for established corporations that want less competition.
    Makes no difference when it's established corporations vs. established corporations. (e.g. Apple vs. Microsoft)...which take up much of the total market. They will both lose profit.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Makes no difference when it's established corporations vs. established corporations. (e.g. Apple vs. Microsoft)...which take up much of the total market. They will both lose profit.
    But it makes it harder for a new player to get in the mix.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    But it makes it harder for a new player to get in the mix.
    Which is why we can offer small-business grants, tax breaks for small biz..as many perks as necessary.

Safety standards, worker's rights...these things are important and must be enforced for the good of the common people. I know a libertarian must hate the phrase "workers rights", but hey.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Which is why we can offer small-business grants, tax breaks for small biz..as many perks as necessary.

Safety standards, worker's rights...these things are important and must be enforced for the good of the common people. I know a libertarian must hate the phrase "workers rights", but hey.
    *shrugs* Within rights. I've been the worker who has been canned due to business needs, and I've been the one doing the canning.

I believe that termination should happen for two reasons: business needs or behavioral cause. And of course I don't think that people should have to work in an unsafe environment. Reasonable precautions should be taken.

All of these perks, however, seems like it's open for abuse. Seriously, my dad owned a small business when he was with us, and there are enough loopholes already existing in the tax code. Anything more from the government would be absolutely ridiculous. How 'bout we just keep the government out of it, period?

Competition should be at least kind of fair. And that means not making things so hard for a third party to come into play that they don't have a shot in hell, but that also shouldn't mean the government coming in and helping that third party.

Go for the in between. Stay out of it all together.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTP

How 'bout we just keep the government out of it, period?
    Corporate power has to be checked in order to reduce corruption, abuse of power, unsafe working conditions, price gouging, monopolies, insider trading...could go on forever really.

Competition should be at least kind of fair.
    That's the point of giving advantages to small business: leveling the playing field and creating more fair competition. Capitalism is all but "fair".

If a large company is being inefficient, they shouldn't, just because of their size, beat out smaller competition who might be a more efficient company.

MBTI
    xNTJ

That's the point of giving advantages to small business: leveling the playing field and creating more fair competition. Capitalism is all but "fair".

If a large company is being inefficient, they shouldn't, just because of their size, beat out smaller competition who might be a more efficient company.
    "Fair" was a poor word choice. What I'm trying to get at is this: I don't want to give advantages to small businesses with "perks", but I don't want to disadvantage them with government regulations to the point of ridiculousness driving up the cost of business so much that a little guy can't get in there.

FWIW, though, isn't that smaller company usually just purchased by a bigger company anyway?

Corporate power has to be checked in order to reduce corruption, abuse of power, unsafe working conditions, price gouging, monopolies, insider trading...could go on forever really.
    I am really off my game tonight. "Keep the government out of it" was in reference to using the "authoritay" of the government to either help or hinder small businesses. Or large ones, for that matter. On a financial basis, of course.

MBTI
    INTP

"Fair" was a poor word choice. What I'm trying to get at is this: I don't want to give advantages to small businesses with "perks", but I don't want to disadvantage them with government regulations to the point of ridiculousness driving up the cost of business so much that a little guy can't get in there.

FWIW, though, isn't that smaller company usually just purchased by a bigger company anyway?

I am really off my game tonight. "Keep the government out of it" was in reference to using the "authoritay" of the government to either help or hinder small businesses. Or large ones, for that matter. On a financial basis, of course.
    So are we in agreement that government should do something about all the negative market effects out there (price gouging, safety, insider trading, all that good stuff)?