User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Thread: 9/11

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    "Never forget?"

Sorry to carry this cynicism in my heart, but it smacks of jingoism to me.

We've got a second Vietnam on our foolish hands and we've got to keep the homefires burning with hatred and cries for retribution to justify this multi-billion dollar "war." Heck, our youth are being slaughtered, disabled and commiting suicide in record numbers over there. We're slaughtering thousands of innocent adults and children.

Never forget.
    We have two wars. One is a legitimate military response that has been mishandled (in Afghanistan). The other is a goddamn joke, and it's actually insulting to the Vietnam War to call Iraq "a second Vietnam," although I wouldn't have put ground troops into that country, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Remember the Inquisition? The Crusades?
    Of course. Those were centuries ago. A more recent one is the Salem Witch Hunt, and if Matt Cassel turns out to be a superstar, maybe we need to reinstate it, starting with Bill Belichick :p

But once again, do you see Christians murdering non-Christians today over religious reasons?

I rest my case.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    We have two wars. One is a legitimate military response that has been mishandled (in Afghanistan). The other is a goddamn joke, and it's actually insulting to the Vietnam War to call Iraq "a second Vietnam," although I wouldn't have put ground troops into that country, either.
    Have to agree with you there, I see it firsthand.

Afganistan is a warzone, for sure. Things are picking up there, and slowly the military focus is going to shift that awy.

Iraq is an occupation. I've noticed that has always been a very "upopular" word to call it, but it's much more fitting than a "war".

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Of course. Those were centuries ago. A more recent one is the Salem Witch Hunt, and if Matt Cassel turns out to be a superstar, maybe we need to reinstate it, starting with Bill Belichick :p

But once again, do you see Christians murdering non-Christians today over religious reasons?

I rest my case.
    What case? You had said the religion with the *most* blood on its hands, not the most current.

Does time diminish body count? BTW, the witches of Salem were Christian.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    Have to agree with you there, I see it firsthand.

Afganistan is a warzone, for sure. Things are picking up there, and slowly the military focus is going to shift that awy.

Iraq is an occupation. I've noticed that has always been a very "upopular" word to call it, but it's much more fitting than a "war".
    I thought of you when I posted, Metal, and hoped that you could hear my support between the lines.

I think, Pure, that we're on the same page and I believe I understand the comment about insulting the VietNam issue.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I thought of you when I posted, Metal, and hoped that you could hear my support between the lines.

I think, Pure, that we're on the same page and I believe I understand the comment about insulting the VietNam issue.
    I appriciate your thoughts and support, in fact I appreciate the personal support of anyone, even if they don't support the war.

I think you may be surprised, however, to learn how very little goes on in Iraq these days.

I think, at this point in the game the larger issue is the logistics. The simply amazing amount of money, time, and equipment being poured into the country every day, to uphold a presence that is for the most part vastly underutilized. More than a loss of human lives (Granted, most folks would say that just 1 person is too many, but in the grand scheme of things and in terms of a "war" there are very few) is the unbelievable amount of capitol that "wasted" day in and day out.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    I appriciate your thoughts and support, in fact I appreciate the personal support of anyone, even if they don't support the war.

I think you may be surprised, however, to learn how very little goes on in Iraq these days.

I think, at this point in the game the larger issue is the logistics. The simply amazing amount of money, time, and equipment being poured into the country every day, to uphold a presence that is for the most part vastly underutilized. More than a loss of human lives (Granted, most folks would say that just 1 person is too many, but in the grand scheme of things and in terms of a "war" there are very few) is the unbelievable amount of capitol that "wasted" day in and day out.
    I also thank you for your service.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Funny to think that I was still prepubsecent at the time.

I was actually sleeping when it happened, and my brother woke me up and turned on the TV in our room. I don't like that kind of thing, so of course I was just like "what the fuck?! I'm sleeping..." I seem to recall that he told me the twin towers were hit, but I was so dazed at the time that his words didn't really make sense to me, and I fell asleep again when he left.

When I finally woke up (still earlier than I would have) I went down stairs and saw all the TVs were on. I went to make some tea, and then asked everyone in the living what the hell happened. My brother and a fried of ours at the time were playing an online game, and they said some dude starting blabbering stuff about the country being attacked in the chat. Being a game chat, everyone assumed he was just some dumbass. Turned out he was right though! The World Trade Centers were blasted.

For my part, I was totally unfazed. I really didn't feel any emotion, and my only thought was something to the effect of "I'm going to hear a lot about this shit, aren't I?". Only later on did the idea became more and more interesting to me. I started thinking about the massive political implications of what happened, and figured it was going to lead to even more bad news, some people were probably going to get an undeserved beating (shucks-howdy was I right! Not bad for a kid). Still wasn't emotionally gripped. Even when they said a plain crashed in my state, it didn't freak me out. Honestly, the only thing that bothered me, is when they said it was possible that the Smithsonian was or would catch on fire. That was it. That was my one moment of panic. Very INTP.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP

I was sleeping and my clock radio went on just as it was happening. I listened in disbelief for a while, went down and turned on the TV, saw the people fleeing in the cloud of dust in panic and confusion, turned it off and went back to bed.

Too much fear and pain to take in.

To this day I have not watched footage of the incident except by accident. No thanks.

Morbid for fun? Yes. RL? No thanks.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

I have question, not just for Anja but for everyone who says they could not watch news coverage of the 9/11 event, did you at least try to learn the facts of the matter and think about what led up to such an event and how impacts our government and the implications for the future and how things ought to be changed or fixed? Forgive me for being curious about this but I am.

I mean I argee the excessive emotionalism of watching the footage just for the sheer watching of it is uncomfortable but learning about the history of the Bojinka plots and what was known, when by whom and what was done and what has changed and what's come out of what happened and things like that seem very important to investigate and think about for every individual who votes.