User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: 9/11

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    The irrationality comes into play by painting your root cause with too broad of a brush.

Do you really want to compare which group of People of the Book have a larger body count? To lump all Islam together in this fashion is patently ridiculous.
    What do you mean "all" of it? As far as I know, there are two denominations. Are you talking about that?
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Religion isn't just something emotional. It's something people choose to believe in--no different than which school of economics or government structure or many other multiple sided issues there are.
    I'm not sure how much choice is involved when kids are taken to a religious brainwashing ceremony every Sunday from the time they are born. It's not like parents push Keynesian economics on their kids.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm not sure how much choice is involved when kids are taken to a religious brainwashing ceremony every Sunday from the time they are born. It's not like parents push Keynesian economics on their kids.
    Whoa...I agree with ajblaise for once. Is this a first?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ

Affia Siddiqui. One of the London bombers was a doctor. Counterexamples have you, I think. Trust me, it'd make my life a whole lot easier if this stuff only happened in poor nations with kids taken to religious services and brainwashed. I wish that were the case. While for the most part it is, for the whole part, it isn't.

Edit: And now back to our topic.

Basically, we can't forget.

And political correctness trying to wash away people's fears (from which racism stems) won't do it either.

MBTI
    INTP

Affia Siddiqui. One of the London bombers was a doctor. Counterexamples have you, I think. Trust me, it'd make my life a whole lot easier if this stuff only happened in poor nations with kids taken to religious services and brainwashed. I wish that were the case. While for the most part it is, for the whole part, it isn't.
    Well naturally the more old you grow, the more you tend to form you own opinions and question things, but someone's religious upbringing/brainwashing will naturally have a large effect on this.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Well naturally the more old you grow, the more you tend to form you own opinions and question things, but someone's religious upbringing/brainwashing will naturally have a large effect on this.
    I went to Hebrew School and had a bar mitzvah. I said Baruch Atah Adonai more times than I can count.

And now, I reject the unproven concept of an all-omnipotent God.

If Judaism was only a religion, I'd call myself purely agnostic. But to me, it's a culture and a group of people that aren't only linked by an archaic monotheistic system.

In order to not do crazy things based on an outdated book, all you have to do is look around and think freely, and be open minded.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Religions--all of them--need to get knocked off of their high horse. Especially the one with the biggest skeleton in its closet.
    Christianity?
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    xNTJ

What do you mean "all" of it? As far as I know, there are two denominations. Are you talking about that?
    Two sects, but there are varying degrees of fundamentalism within them.

A moderate Suni will not be the same as an extremist who also claims to be Suni.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Christianity?
    Of course. What else?

MBTI
    xNTJ

I believe that I have now officially agreed with you exactly twice.