veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    The thing i will remember most about 9/11 is how racist people became. Students in school who were Muslim, or looked like the could be were picked on, or people were afraid to be around them. There was a teacher, who was an excellent teacher, who resigned because people were calling him Osama and calling the school to say they were uncomfortable being around him.
    2 wrongs just don't make a right to me.
    I know my opinion is probably unpopular, and i normally wouldn't even bother to voice my opinion, but i feel very strongly about this topic.
    I was really disappointed by that kind of behavior too. I had normally sensible friends that said things like they wanted to go burn down the convenience stores that the "ragheads" owned, and stuff like that. I understood the anger, but they were totally misdirecting it. I pointed out that a lot of the people they wanted to punish are people who came to America precisely to get away from people like the terrorists, they are peaceful people trying to live their life in freedom like everybody else. For awhile there, you saw so many of those places put up like a hundred American flags and signs that said "American owned" and stuff like that, mainly because they feared retaliation against them for something they didn't cause and never supported. I thought that was pretty sad.

The good thing is I think most people got over those attitudes quickly, and the people who didn't are the same kind of people that were gonna be racist anyway, whether there was a 9/11 or not.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Oh I think there is. I don't think anyone will forget, but some people already treat it just a historical event and take for granted that it won't happen again. Stirring up "excesses of emotion" can have many positive effects. One is to remind people of the unity that was felt in the country for a period after the attacks, and another is for us not to support government policies that ignore the threat of another attack.
    Yes.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Oh I think there is. I don't think anyone will forget, but some people already treat it just a historical event and take for granted that it won't happen again. Stirring up "excesses of emotion" can have many positive effects. One is to remind people of the unity that was felt in the country for a period after the attacks, and another is for us not to support government policies that ignore the threat of another attack.
    Agreed.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    I remember this day pretty clearly. It was my freshmen year in high school and i was in World Geography when an announcement was made over the intercom about the incident, and all teachers were instructed to turn on the tv. A lot of people started crying, which i really didn't understand. I didn't feel sad, i didn't feel mad, i wasn't even really shocked. The first thing i thought about is that this was a good excuse to go home for the rest of the day. They made another announcement saying that any student who felt they needed to go home could call their parents, or were free to leave.
    I know i sound heartless, but tragedies like this never really surprise me and they just don't leave any sort of an emotional impact on me. I have put myself in the shoes of the families who lost their loved ones, and i do mourn for them, but it still doesn't really surprise me that something like this happened. I saw it coming from a mile away.

I thought hearing about it became annoying. It's all anyone talked about for 6 months straight. We had to write poems, and short stories and talk about our feelings with other students. It was also annoying that all the sudden American's became "patriotic" and started to "care" about the country and it's people. It seem sad to me that it takes an event that killed thousands of people to bring a country together.

The thing i will remember most about 9/11 is how racist people became. Students in school who were Muslim, or looked like the could be were picked on, or people were afraid to be around them. There was a teacher, who was an excellent teacher, who resigned because people were calling him Osama and calling the school to say they were uncomfortable being around him.
    2 wrongs just don't make a right to me.
    I know my opinion is probably unpopular, and i normally wouldn't even bother to voice my opinion, but i feel very strongly about this topic.
    Very much agreed with.

I was at high school, one of the teachers came in and said two planes had crashed into the WTC in NYC, then we watched it on TV. I remember speaking to my dad when I got home from school, he was like "The worlds gone crazy, have you seen what has happend?".
    It's just a ride

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWounds View Post
    I remember every day that I wake up in the middle east.
    From an unbiased perspective, do you believe the Middle East needs to be a policed state?

Why?

Is there a post 9/11 mentality there, like there is here in North America?

With that being said, how much emphasis does the Iraqi government, military, and its citizens put on the 9/11, post-9/11 tragedies ?

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

I was working in a Pennzoil lube shop for a Pakistani during 9/11... Coincidentally I was fired shortly thereafter under the speculation that I was a mole... He thought I was rummaging through his business files and what not. Preposterous if you ask me!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I was only 12, so I never really registered the reality and implications of it when it happened. It seemed more like some kind of movie to me than reality. I suppose I was fortunate in this regard.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Never forget, and never forgive the religion that caused it and countless atrocities afterwards (and before) is what I say.
    Oh, please. Islam as a whole is no more responsible for 9/11 than Christianity as a whole was responsible for Waco.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    How is that not rational? You determine root cause of evil act, and exclude root cause from the set of (things that are good).

In this case, it happened to be a religious ideology.

Just because it's a religion means it's free from any criticism?
    The irrationality comes into play by painting your root cause with too broad of a brush.

Do you really want to compare which group of People of the Book have a larger body count? To lump all Islam together in this fashion is patently ridiculous.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You said never forgive the religion. That doesn't even make sense. My response was based on the fact that your post looked like an emotional rant. If it wasn't, please elaborate.
    Religion isn't just something emotional. It's something people choose to believe in--no different than which school of economics or government structure or many other multiple sided issues there are.

So any action that stems solely from religion, I look down on, since to me, it conveys either A) a lack of possession of free thought, or worse, B) aggressive ignorance.

So I say never forgive the religion because it's an ideology. Just because there's an invisible man in it doesn't make it any different than a political or moral opinion. Religions--all of them--need to get knocked off of their high horse. Especially the one with the biggest skeleton in its closet.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^