User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Those people will be stupid anyway. The stupid will always be with us. I am talking about people who pay basic attention to current affairs and the world in which they live. How many of these people are likely to forget?
    Well the people that have any intelligence and pay attention, will not forget for the rest of their lives.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Well the people that have any intelligence and pay attention, will not forget for the rest of their lives.
    Which brings me back to the question, what's the point of all these mantras like "Never Forget" the people are actually listening and paying attention aren't likely to forget and those who do, are unreachable.

There's nothing positive served by stirring up excesses of emotion on such occassions.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is what I'm talking about. This is not rational.
    How is that not rational? You determine root cause of evil act, and exclude root cause from the set of (things that are good).

In this case, it happened to be a religious ideology.

Just because it's a religion means it's free from any criticism?
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Which brings me back to the question, what's the point of all these mantras like "Never Forget" the people are actually listening and paying attention aren't likely to forget and those who do, are unreachable.

There's nothing positive served by stirring up excesses of emotion on such occassions.
    Oh I think there is. I don't think anyone will forget, but some people already treat it just a historical event and take for granted that it won't happen again. Stirring up "excesses of emotion" can have many positive effects. One is to remind people of the unity that was felt in the country for a period after the attacks, and another is for us not to support government policies that ignore the threat of another attack.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    How is that not rational? You determine root cause of evil act, and exclude root cause from the set of (things that are good).

You said never forgive the religion. That doesn't even make sense. My response was based on the fact that your post looked like an emotional rant. If it wasn't, please elaborate.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post

Because you use the same retarded bigoted logic as Osama bin Laden. The blaming of all Muslims for 9/11 is no different than Osama bin Laden blaming all Americans for America's barbaric foreign policy.

There is a clear difference between being critical of an idea or action than being bigoted against a group as a whole; the former is not racist and the latter is racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I remember that day, too. I remember it in exact detail. I was playing Thief: the dark Project, the level with Ramirez mansion. I remember everything in the game, then my dad calls on me from the livingroom screaming that a plane just crashed into the world trade center. Couldn't believe it. It was quite literally the heart of the western world. I stood and watched, trembling with horror, as a second plane crashed into the other tower. Then, some time later, they both collapsed and "bad" became completely fucked up.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I remember this day pretty clearly. It was my freshmen year in high school and i was in World Geography when an announcement was made over the intercom about the incident, and all teachers were instructed to turn on the tv. A lot of people started crying, which i really didn't understand. I didn't feel sad, i didn't feel mad, i wasn't even really shocked. The first thing i thought about is that this was a good excuse to go home for the rest of the day. They made another announcement saying that any student who felt they needed to go home could call their parents, or were free to leave.
    I know i sound heartless, but tragedies like this never really surprise me and they just don't leave any sort of an emotional impact on me. I have put myself in the shoes of the families who lost their loved ones, and i do mourn for them, but it still doesn't really surprise me that something like this happened. I saw it coming from a mile away.

I thought hearing about it became annoying. It's all anyone talked about for 6 months straight. We had to write poems, and short stories and talk about our feelings with other students. It was also annoying that all the sudden American's became "patriotic" and started to "care" about the country and it's people. It seem sad to me that it takes an event that killed thousands of people to bring a country together.

The thing i will remember most about 9/11 is how racist people became. Students in school who were Muslim, or looked like the could be were picked on, or people were afraid to be around them. There was a teacher, who was an excellent teacher, who resigned because people were calling him Osama and calling the school to say they were uncomfortable being around him.
    2 wrongs just don't make a right to me.
    I know my opinion is probably unpopular, and i normally wouldn't even bother to voice my opinion, but i feel very strongly about this topic.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    I know my opinion is probably unpopular, and i normally wouldn't even bother to voice my opinion, but i feel very strongly about this topic.
    I don't really think your opinion is unpopular, just many people afraid to voice it. I am glad you voiced it.

Real strength isn't in reflection, it is in moving on. Its been 7 years, plenty of time to get over it. Yea, people died, but more people died from the war that our gov't started because of it (follow the trail of red herrings from 9/11 to Iraq). If anything we should be reflecting on our government's incompetence starting since that day, it was completely preventable, but they let it happen, purposefully imo, call me a conspiracy theorist but I see it as highly likely (its almost too easy to plead ignorance).