User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I believe a more positive comparison would be the Romans. Besides since when does getting things done lead to a dictatorship?
    Because contrary to what they would have you believe, politicians don't want everyone to be happy and live in harmony, they want power. It's just that promising people what they want to hear is the most effective way to get it.
    I don't wanna!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

"People don't want peace. They want victory." --Noam Chomsky, unless he was quoting someone else. It should be posted in every thread about politics. Feel free.

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't completely agree with that quote. I don't think most wars are started because someone likes the process of war. Otherwise surrender wouldn't be considered a desirable thing by the attacking party.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Because contrary to what they would have you believe, politicians don't want everyone to be happy and live in harmony, they want power. It's just that promising people what they want to hear is the most effective way to get it.
    And that doesn't make you think that they should be held to higher standards and subject to more than a slap on the rist and some bad press if things go wrong?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

#8 Children.

Okay so the problem with children seems to be getting worse. Even if it isn't it's about time it was addressed.

Now my first response to this problem was one of a simple line in the sand. The child can act up and cause vandalism or threaten people up until a point. Then you simply shoot them. Problem solved? Well no because you'd be bound to get some bleeding heart whittering on about how little Jonny was such a nice boy and had only beaten up on 5 grannies that weekend because his friends told him to do so. They'd moan even more if you accepted this and shot his mates too.

Another solution crossed my mind, should a child proove too much for their parents then simply remove them and then neuter the parents. Problem solved.

The thing is, as I see it of course, is that people are instilled with this idea that they have rights to things and can take things for granted. I read somewhere that people aren't free. Their freedoms have been paid for by the blood of others and so they are not free until their debt is paid back. Though I can see someone thinking that they're doing a sterling job of that at the moment by drinking at the age of twelve and having their first permanent scar by thirteen.

At what point does someone cause too much harm and aggrovation? Does the right to "make amends" and "improve" last forever regardless of what you do or is there a cut off point where society says no more? Is there a point where by your own actions you have cost yourself the 'right' to try to redeem yourself?

I mean I don't intend discussing the finer points of the death penalty, I always thought it was barbaric to display such things the way they do, but I do challenge this position that people take where no matter what you do, no matter how many people are injured or die by your hands you still deserve to live. I'm quite sure that at many points in all countries this wasn't so. Is it so "developed" of us to do this or is it more us persuading ourselves that we're better people by doing it... so we can sleep better at night.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Bring back the workhouse, so I say.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    :steam:
    ...and all the food sold shall be healthy food, and all the games for sale shall be wholesome games (no guns!), and all the songs made shall be happy songs...
    Oh hell no.

YouTube - Lady In Black - Uriah Heep

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Bring back the workhouse, so I say.
    Forcible conscription as punishment would be hillarious... and possibly a complete disaster too... imagine all the thugs being converted to trained thugs with a new chip on their shoulder!!

MBTI
    ENTJ

As much as power in the hands of the people may be a nice thing in theory, most people are stupid. This is why the bottom 90% of Americans only control 10% of the country's wealth.

How much power do we want to vest in the hands of the imbeciles?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    As much as power in the hands of the people may be a nice thing in theory, most people are stupid. This is why the bottom 90% of Americans only control 10% of the country's wealth.

How much power do we want to vest in the hands of the imbeciles?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I would refine that slightly if I may.

Never underestimate the power of large groups of people to be stupid.