User Tag List

MBTI
    infp

Default October 14th Eelction in Canada

An election has been called here in the great white north for October 14th. The last election was in January of 2006, so for those of you who havn't been keeping track, it isn't in the usual four-year schedule, but rather it is called because the current parties are not working together and the political power need sto be redecided and reinforced. Or something to that degree.

What do you think of the candidates?

What do you think of Stephan Harper's government the last three years?

Hoesntly I have no idea whats going on because I'm not really into politics, but I know from the radio that the parties are bickering at each other in the lamest fashion possible, so I just hope one of the candidates is actually good. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about is at this forum :P

I find it fascinating how long the U.S. builds up it's elections, while we have one in one month.

MBTI
    xNTJ

I live in Canada, and I don't understand your political system. Sadly enough, when I've tried to get actual real live Canadians (which I'm not; I'm an immigrant) to explain it to me, they don't understand it, either. Beyond if something doesn't pass, then there's a new election? (I think that's how the husband put it.)

The whole "vote for your party, and they'll vote for the PM" thing doesn't make any sense to me.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I really don't know the details of how it works, and didn't end up voting last election (the first I was old enough for) because I was in Africa and wasn't aware I could vote early until too late.

I like the idea of voting for President/PM as individuals better.

I also like the fact that everyone's votes matter in Canada--nobody wins provinces like parties win states.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I also like the fact that everyone's votes matter in Canada--nobody wins provinces like parties win states.
    That's bad for provinces like Alberta, which supplies the money but does not have much people. Their vote barely matters.

I hope no one is considering voting in the guy who's promising to put in his carbon tax.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Harper is anticipating a majority government(which strangely coincides with the Listeria outbreak)... Could the Canadian Feds be just as "evil" as their US counterparts?

I know that it's my responsibility and my duty, to elect someone who I want to represent me and my Country in the truest way possible, and although Harper has reduced the GST by a whole 2%, he still wants to disrupt the health care system, which millions of Canadians rely on... I'll vote pseudo this time.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I hadn't heard about the election yet, oddly. I'm not sure which way I'll vote at this point. Neither party seems particularly bad or good to me right now.

MBTI
    infp

I agree that that both parties are kind of shitty, no obviously talented leader, just sort of "the bets we have right now" type guys. We need someone with balls like Trudeau, but they are obviously few and far between.

I like our voting system, personally. Yes, there are issues, such as places with more money not having as much power due to lesser population, and the issue that most elections bassically come down to trying to persuade Ontario and Quebec while nearly ignoring the west, but what does work with it works very well, I think. I too like that it isn't done by winning provinces or counties or whatever division you wnat, but that every vote is individual. I also like that our elections are not fixed (which Harper tried to reverse but failed because he realized that he had to call one to keep government working). It works because if someone doesn't work, others can be worked in, and then others, ect, untill ti stabalizes. The vote of no confidence is great, too, where a minoriuty governments pwoer can be called into question and a new election can be called. That sounds terrible, but Trudeau used that to his advantage, which lead to creating the constitution, which is one of the best things to happen.

I also really like the parlimentry system and the seats of the house of commons, but of course that has some issues too (i.e. most of the seats are in Ontario or Quebec, so rural areas are left behind).

About GST and health care, I'd rather pay the fucking 2% than not have as good health care. What a joke, unless you are buying a million dollar mansion, 2% GST won't make a too devastating a difference in your expenses. I know if adds up, but it isn't impossible to save a litlte extra money to even it out.

And I dropped the ball in my first post here. When I said "four year schedule" I meant the five-year max for a governing party to wait before calling an election.

Also, I hate Harper's commercial on TV. I don't give a **** if he plays piano with his son, doesn't make him a good PM. And he should quit criticizing Dion for his french, I bet Harper sucks at french, he's from Sarnia.

Where are you from, Enyo?