User Tag List

12 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Marijuana: Fights bacteria?

It seems like I hear about a new medical benefit from marijuana every few months.

*takes a hit for health*

Marijuana Ingredient May Fight Bacteria

Article Tools Sponsored By
    By HENRY FOUNTAIN
    Published: September 5, 2008

Marijuana may be something of a wonder drug — though perhaps not in the way you might think.

Researchers in Italy and Britain have found that the main active ingredient in marijuana — tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC — and related compounds show promise as antibacterial agents, particularly against microbial strains that are already resistant to several classes of drugs.

It has been known for decades that Cannabis sativa has antibacterial properties. Experiments in the 1950s tested various marijuana preparations against skin and other infections, but researchers at the time had little understanding of marijuana’s chemical makeup.

The current research, by Giovanni Appendino of the University of the Eastern Piedmont and colleagues and published in The Journal of Natural Products, looked at the antibacterial activity of the five most common cannabinoids. All were found effective against several common multi-resistant bacterial strains, although, perhaps understandably, the researchers suggested that the nonpsychotropic cannabinoids might prove more promising for eventual use.

The researchers say they don’t know how the cannabinoids work, and whether they would be effective as systemic antibiotics would require much more research and trials. But the compounds may prove useful sooner as a topical agent against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, to prevent the microbes from colonizing on the skin.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/09/sc...ce&oref=slogin

MBTI
    INTJ

Good thing it's illegal.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

I'd check this against considerable research that points to marijuana as an immunosuppressant.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I'd check this against considerable research that points to marijuana as an immunosuppressant.
    I read about that study a while ago, they used extremely large doses of THC on animals, and even with that, there wasn't a large effect on the immune system.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Piemonte in English is Piedmont? Bleah
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I read about that study a while ago, they used extremely large doses of THC on animals, and even with that, there wasn't a large effect on the immune system.
    Smoking anything is not good for you, but there are worse things than marijuana. The biggest negative side effect to me would be contentment with doing nothing all the time. Not everyone gets that, but many do.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It seems like I hear about a new medical benefit from marijuana every few months.
    I assume most of them are hastily concluded bullshit. This pingpong match is ridiculous. People trade fabricated facts for and against marijuana back and forth. Everyone knows that the government has warped the truth about marijuana, but then a great deal of people that use it also seem to glorify the drug beyond any reasonable capacity.

My own understanding is that marijuana leans very mildly toward the "not good for you" side. Especially if taken by smoking, of course. I personally loath the effects of marijuana on people, but I suppose that's purely subjective.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The concept of inhaling burnt plant matter into one's lungs for health is pretty laughable. The chemical components of marijuana may have positive effects when isolated, sure. That does not translate into "smoking weed is good for you."
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Smoking anything is not good for you, but there are worse things than marijuana. The biggest negative side effect to me would be contentment with doing nothing all the time. Not everyone gets that, but many do.
    I don't know, I think you've been watching too much South Park. I don't know anyone who smokes pot and "does nothing". They do what they were going to do anyways, except while high.

Maybe when I first started smoking, the high was so strong and new that I was content just analyzing it and doing nothing, that ended quick.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I assume most of them are hastily concluded bullshit. This pingpong match is ridiculous. People trade fabricated facts for and against marijuana back and forth. Everyone knows that the government has warped the truth about marijuana, but then a great deal of people that use it also seem to glorify the drug beyond any reasonable capacity.

My own understanding is that marijuana leans very mildly toward the "not good for you" side. Especially if taken by smoking, of course. I personally loath the effects of marijuana on people, but I suppose that's purely subjective.
    The people who use pot aren't the ones making these studies, I'm not sure what you're point is with that first paragraph. Government does the bullshit studies (or they will do good studies but now tell anyone about the results) and universities perform studies.

Smoking is bad, but when no one knows anyone who has gotten lung cancer, or anything equally bad, from smoking it, you begin to wonder just how bad it really is.