User Tag List

12 Last

Default Sarah Palin: Motherhood...

You know, I respect the fact that the Republicans chose her for VP. I think it's great that they have progressed to a point to where they chose a woman. I am, however, having some uncertainty with her and her motherhood status. I have no issue with her having children, but she is taking herself out of the normal mother role in order to be a possible VP so soon after she had a child with Down Syndrome. I don't have any issues with the preggers daughter... I'm glad they are keeping the child but I just hope they are marrying by their own choice...

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Has this been addressed somewhere? Has she spoken openly about this to the public? I know that it's not the end of the world for a child, whether with special needs or not, to be raised by primarily a father figure. The home situation could definitely be worse. I'm just not really sure how I feel about it yet except a little worried about what sort of dramas might unfold with her.

Opinions?

heart on fire

If Cheney's own heart condition and hospitalizations weren't an issue that people felt concerned with, then why would this woman having a child with down's syndrome be?

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by iluvstellacat View Post
    You know, I respect the fact that the Republicans chose her for VP. I think it's great that they have progressed to a point to where they chose a woman. I am, however, having some uncertainty with her and her motherhood status. I have no issue with her having children, but she is taking herself out of the normal mother role in order to be a possible VP so soon after she had a child with Down Syndrome. I don't have any issues with the preggers daughter... I'm glad they are keeping the child but I just hope they are marrying by their own choice...

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Has this been addressed somewhere? Has she spoken openly about this to the public? I know that it's not the end of the world for a child, whether with special needs or not, to be raised by primarily a father figure. The home situation could definitely be worse. I'm just not really sure how I feel about it yet except a little worried about what sort of dramas might unfold with her.

Opinions?
    I see no reason why her children should be any bigger of a consideration to her fitness to do the job than Obama's. His girls are still quite young, although they are out of diapers.

Bush's twins were still minors when he was elected. Chelsea Clinton was a minor when her father was elected. Amy Carter was quite young when her father was elected. JFK's children were young, Caroline was 3 or 4 when her father was elected. JFK, Jr. was born *after* his father won the election.

I'm going to guess that the White House has experienced potty training issues within its hallowed walls before now. And these were all presidential candidates, not VP candidates.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I don't think her kids should be a consideration, and I don't want the Republicans to have that to whine about. I expect that someone who has self-puported "family values" will find a way for her values to be upheld in her family. That may be a high expectation given the fact that she values abstinence education and has a preggo daughter, but still--Democrats (and anyone else) would be hypocritical to criticize her as a mother and not any other male candidate as a father.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    infj

No one would be bringing this up if she was a father as opposed to a mother... It's a total double standard.
    "They all work really hard everyday and they're dissatisfied. I mean, I can be dissatisfied without hardly working at all."
    - Wonderfalls

Sniffles

What I got out of the OP was the question of whether or not Palin is violating her own principles of "Family first" by actually running for public office. That's not exactly what traditional womanhood would dictate.

And contrary to popular myth, Soccer Moms(or "Hockey Moms" as Palin put it) are not any kind of representative of traditional motherhood. Not by a long shot.

So she is engaging in the all-too comming charade concerning motherhood in contemporary society.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I don't think her kids should be a consideration, and I don't want the Republicans to have that to whine about. I expect that someone who has self-puported "family values" will find a way for her values to be upheld in her family. That may be a high expectation given the fact that she values abstinence education and has a preggo daughter, but still--Democrats (and anyone else) would be hypocritical to criticize her as a mother and not any other male candidate as a father.
    This is inaccurate. She is pro-contraception, and her daughter received regular sex education in public high school.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    If Cheney's own heart condition and hospitalizations weren't an issue that people felt concerned with, then why would this woman having a child with down's syndrome be?
    Because that baby needs his mother.

If Cheney doesn't bother with his health condition, then whatever, but what that mother decides to do or not do for her baby effects another person--him.

I am in my late 20s, and an "equalist" in every sense, but I still think that choosing the mother of five young children was irresponsible. If she puts her family first, as she should, she fails the country. If she puts her country first, as she must as VP or Prez, she cannot attend to her family as she must.

Do you think it's coincidental that her daughter got pregnant when Palin was 8.5 months pregnant and governor? No--her children need her attention. A mother and father are very different, despite our hopes for equality. I'm totally pro-woman in the white house, but believe a woman who has young children needs to put her family first.

As I once aspired to be a mover and a shaker, I chose not to have children. You can't put both family and country first--one (or both) will suffer. IMO.
    Hugs,

Jen
    ~~~~~~~~
    "We must apply our humble efforts to build a more just and humane world. I want to affirm emphatically: such a world is possible. To create this new society we must reach out our hands, without hatred and rancour, for reconciliation and peace, with unfaltering determination in the defense of truth and justice. We know we cannot plant seeds with closed fists. To sow we must open our hands."

~Adolfo Esquivel

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is inaccurate. She is pro-contraception, and her daughter received regular sex education in public high school.
    The group she's in, Feminists For Life, doesn't have an official position on contraception, but they have put out anti-contraception literature.

What makes you think she's pro-contraception? I haven't read anything that says that.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The group she's in, Feminists For Life, doesn't have an official position on contraception, but they have put out anti-contraception literature.

What makes you think she's pro-contraception? I haven't read anything that says that.
    It's well-documented.

Palin appears to disagree with McCain on sex education - Los Angeles Times

Governor Palin Is Pro-Life, Pro-contraception, And Pro-competition In Health Care
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"