User Tag List

First 12

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I did a little more research, this is what she says on abstinence and sex ed.

Eagle Forum: Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: "Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support."
    And apparently she did say she is pro-contraception, but didn't specify what kind and if she favors teen use of contraceptives.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    And apparently she did say she is pro-contraception, but didn't specify what kind and if she favors teen use of contraceptives.
    It actually says in the L.A. Times article that she believes students should be taught about condoms.

"In a widely quoted 2006 survey she answered during her gubernatorial campaign, Palin said she supported abstinence-until-marriage programs. But weeks later, she proclaimed herself "pro-contraception" and said condoms ought to be discussed in schools alongside abstinence. 'I'm pro-contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues,' she said during a debate in Juneau."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It actually says in the L.A. Times article that she believes students should be taught about condoms.

"In a widely quoted 2006 survey she answered during her gubernatorial campaign, Palin said she supported abstinence-until-marriage programs. But weeks later, she proclaimed herself "pro-contraception" and said condoms ought to be discussed in schools alongside abstinence. 'I'm pro-contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues,' she said during a debate in Juneau."
    So she doesn't want "explicit" sex-ed programs and wants abstinence-until-marriage programs that include talk about condoms.

That's kinda weak political "have it both ways" speak. And isn't most evidence out there saying that abstinence programs don't work?

MBTI
    EXXP

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedoph View Post
    Because that baby needs his mother.

If Cheney doesn't bother with his health condition, then whatever, but what that mother decides to do or not do for her baby effects another person--him.

I am in my late 20s, and an "equalist" in every sense, but I still think that choosing the mother of five young children was irresponsible. If she puts her family first, as she should, she fails the country. If she puts her country first, as she must as VP or Prez, she cannot attend to her family as she must.

Do you think it's coincidental that her daughter got pregnant when Palin was 8.5 months pregnant and governor? No--her children need her attention. A mother and father are very different, despite our hopes for equality. I'm totally pro-woman in the white house, but believe a woman who has young children needs to put her family first.

As I once aspired to be a mover and a shaker, I chose not to have children. You can't put both family and country first--one (or both) will suffer. IMO.
    Yep, this.

I'd think it much different if her family did not have obvious signs of "issues." Having a handicapped child puts a strain on any marriage, much less one in the spotlight. It really takes two full time parents.

Then a pregnant teenager.

And Palin isn't even VP yet, with significant family issues.

Then there is the very real possibility that McCain could die in office and Palin is Prez.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So she doesn't want "explicit" sex-ed programs and wants abstinence-until-marriage programs that include talk about condoms.

That's kinda weak political "have it both ways" speak. And isn't most evidence out there saying that abstinence programs don't work?
    It seems to me that she wants an abstinence-if-possible, wrap-it-up-in-case program. Splitting hairs, perhaps, but these "comprehensive" programs are supposedly the most effective (abstinence IS the only iron-clad, 100% effective method, although condoms in conjunction with the pill is pretty close). Still, which type of sex ed a preteen or teenager gets is clearly not the biggest influence over whether or not they have an unintended pregnancy. Factors like socioeconomic status, at what age their mothers had them, whether or not it's a two-parent household, and race/ethnicity tend to be far more influential. And those factors are all interrelated themselves, of course.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What I got out of the OP was the question of whether or not Palin is violating her own principles of "Family first" by actually running for public office. That's not exactly what traditional womanhood would dictate.

And contrary to popular myth, Soccer Moms(or "Hockey Moms" as Palin put it) are not any kind of representative of traditional motherhood. Not by a long shot.

So she is engaging in the all-too comming charade concerning motherhood in contemporary society.
    /nod
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke