User Tag List

123 Last

Default "Don't be that guy" / "don't be that girl"

The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Anaximander.

Don’t be that anti-rape campaign

Discuss. Thought I'd let others chime in for a while, then refine and bounce my own thoughts around.
    Likes Xann liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I think stuff like that sets men back a 100 years unless their is something mentally wrong with the guy if they see a hot woman passed out scantily clad they have the will not to rape her. and if the 1-2% is true then it's on the woman's hands because if she lies that ruins it for people who actually rape. but i have my own personal issues with fakers, not with rape as i have not been raped but other things. sorry but men are just as capable to get horny but not fuck any one and everything. the only exceptions are men who have some mental problems and even then they'd have to be pretty severe.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes asynartetic, The Wailing Specter liked this post

I figured a lot of people would avoid this discussion like the plague.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

I don't think anybody deserves it, regardless the accused crime they committed.
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

perfect timing here

and I think that both sides have something to learn still in general... false rape accusations aren't as frequent as the media may make them seem (because that's an interesting story in which we don't have to feel all some for some poor girl!) and men aren't as stupid and cavemanish as all of the campaigns would lead us to believe... not to mention that they rarely address male rape victims in any of this and yes, they DO exist... especially in the "I got drunk and I said no, but she wouldn't stop" type variety

should everyone be taught that no means no and unable to say no means no as well? yes... that's obvious and BOTH genders should hear that

do posters do as well to teach people things as actually sitting them down and talking to them? no

should people who make false accusations that can actually be proven false deserve to be punished? hell yes... they make things so much harder for people who are actually raped because then everyone immediately thinks that they're probably lying and it's tough enough to come forward and admit it and deal with questions like "how drunk were you?" and "how short was your skirt?" from a bunch of strangers without having them all suspect that you're just making it up

there are balanced views on this sort of things and solutions that could be implemented, but as long as both sides of the discussion stick to extremes then we're not ever going to reach them
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by chubber View Post
    I don't think anybody deserves it, regardless the accused crime they committed.
    Do you think anti-rape demotivational posters have the intended effect? It seems like a Ted Bundyesque serial rapist wouldn't be swayed to see the error of his ways. I mean, it would be great if it all it took was a poster.

I also don't see it having much effect on the douchebags who knowingly takes advantage of passed out girls.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    perfect timing here

and I think that both sides have something to learn still in general... false rape accusations aren't as frequent as the media may make them seem (because that's an interesting story in which we don't have to feel all some for some poor girl!) and men aren't as stupid and cavemanish as all of the campaigns would lead us to believe... not to mention that they rarely address male rape victims in any of this and yes, they DO exist... especially in the "I got drunk and I said no, but she wouldn't stop" type variety

should everyone be taught that no means no and unable to say no means no as well? yes... that's obvious and BOTH genders should hear that

do posters do as well to teach people things as actually sitting them down and talking to them? no

should people who make false accusations that can actually be proven false deserve to be punished? hell yes... they make things so much harder for people who are actually raped because then everyone immediately thinks that they're probably lying and it's tough enough to come forward and admit it and deal with questions like "how drunk were you?" and "how short was your skirt?" from a bunch of strangers without having them all suspect that you're just making it up

there are balanced views on this sort of things and solutions that could be implemented, but as long as both sides of the discussion stick to extremes then we're not ever going to reach them
    So this ultimately boils down to half-hearted measures to address issues which ultimately wind up pissing more people off and further polarizing two extremes (in this case, feminists and MRAs, who probably aren't as different as they'd like to think) and have the opposite of the intended effect or message. It's amusing to me that people think a deeply ingrained problem like college rape will be stemmed by a motivational poster. I understand why the reactionary "don't be that girl" poster may have made sense, but did they really think it would make people stop and think rather than jump to kneejerk reactionary mode? Any time a complicated issue is diminished (as happens when the issue must be reduced to one or two sentences on a poster), all of the nuances and perspectives disappear. Suddenly, all men become potential rapists and all women potential liars.
    Likes SearchingforPeace, MDP2525 liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    So this ultimately boils down to half-hearted measures to address issues which ultimately wind up pissing more people off and further polarizing two extremes (in this case, feminists and MRAs, who probably aren't as different as they'd like to think) and have the opposite of the intended effect or message. It's amusing to me that people think a deeply ingrained problem like college rape will be stemmed by a motivational poster. I understand why the reactionary "don't be that girl" poster may have made sense, but did they really think it would make people stop and think rather than jump to kneejerk reactionary mode? Any time a complicated issue is diminished (as happens when the issue must be reduced to one or two sentences on a poster), all of the nuances and perspectives disappear. Suddenly, all men become potential rapists and all women potential liars.
    like anyone will stop and think

we live in a society of short attention spans and a tendency towards knee jerk reactions... posters of those sorts are only going to polarize further and maybe make 3% of people actually think instead of immediately jumping to feel
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes asynartetic, MDP2525 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    like anyone will stop and think

we live in a society of short attention spans and a tendency towards knee jerk reactions... posters of those sorts are only going to polarize further and maybe make 3% of people actually think instead of immediately jumping to feel
    Yeah. We (as a collective, generally speaking) want to have these discussions, yet we seem unwilling to take the initiative to dig into the meat of any argument. We reduce our arguments to catch phrases and short sound bytes. We all lose when this becomes the preferred approach. Who we proclaim as debate "winners" during our election cycle says a lot about our attention spans and our desire to seriously look into any issue that doesn't involve NFL draft picks or who's wearing what to the Oscars ceremonies.
    Likes miss fortune, SearchingforPeace liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Yeah. We (as a collective, generally speaking) want to have these discussions, yet we seem unwilling to take full initiative. Nope, let's reduce our arguments to catch phrases and short sound bytes. We all lose when this becomes the preferred approach.
    not to sound like an ass here (and I realize some might take me as one for this despite the fact that i don't mean it that way) people need to think sometimes instead of just feeling... too much of any one thing is a very bad thing (even frosting!) and issues like this are best solved if we don't get all of our emotions tied up in one side or another, and instead listen to both sides of things to figure out if there is a middle ground and what it is... and what solutions are available

I think part of the problem is that sex ed programs SUCK and if they were better people would be better educated on the topic in the first place
    Likes Ivy, MDP2525 liked this post