User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default life, death and law

I guess this is where I should post this. It's about law. We all know that committing suicide is illegal (which I find quite laughable because who are they going to prosecute, the dead person?). Anyway, what if a person is diagnosed with a serious illness, such as cancer, heart disease, etc. which could potentially kill them without treatment, and they refuse get treatment. How does the law stand on such an issue a that.
    “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.”
    ― Walter Scott, Marmion

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by GIjade View Post
    I guess this is where I should post this. It's about law. We all know that committing suicide is illegal (which I find quite laughable because who are they going to prosecute, the dead person?). Anyway, what if a person is diagnosed with a serious illness, such as cancer, heart disease, etc. which could potentially kill them without treatment, and they refuse get treatment. How does the law stand on such an issue a that.
    Committing suicide is illegal? How so? The law is pretty clear on consent to treatment, very much so unless there is a age question, mental capacity or legal competence. People stop or refuse further treatment for terminal illness all the time. It's their choice.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I believe that if someone wants to die, it is their right, and they can go about it as they please so long as it doesn't require some unwilling party to extend any sort of effort, and so long as it doesn't harm another person physically in the process. Granted, if they are under 18 then it's the parents duty to keep them alive.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes GIjade, N/A liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I just saw this article on the issue today. I found it pretty interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

Other things being equal, we all have a right to refuse treatment. However in most jurisdictions we have no right ask for help in actively ending our own life. However there is now a strong social movement for assisted suicide. This is also balanced by the improvement in palliative care. And we have dedicated hospices devoted to palliative care and dying with care and dignity.

I'll be honest, I dont think that society has any reverence for life what so ever anymore, I hate all the pro-life campaigns because I think they are for the most part veiled control freakery and the same people who care about life in utero dont seem to give much of a fig about it after its out there in the world.

So I like the fact that even if its symbolic and tokenistic in the extreme that in some way the law might actually, for a change and largely probably by accident of history, reflect some of my values for a change.

Its not as if the law is about justice any longer, if it ever was, and its largely symbolic as I say.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon
    Likes Chrysanthe, GIjade, jcloudz liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'll be honest, I dont think that society has any reverence for life what so ever anymore, I hate all the pro-life campaigns because I think they are for the most part veiled control freakery and the same people who care about life in utero dont seem to give much of a fig about it after its out there in the world.

So I like the fact that even if its symbolic and tokenistic in the extreme that in some way the law might actually, for a change and largely probably by accident of history, reflect some of my values for a change.

Its not as if the law is about justice any longer, if it ever was, and its largely symbolic as I say.
    Do you not even grasp the concept of mercy? Spend months and years with a terminally ill loved one, which I've been able to do now twice. Watching them suffer and being able to do nothing, even when they cry and beg for your help? Beg doctors and nurses and anyone that will listen to just help them end it. Can you understand what that is like? You would do anything for them, including taking their life and stopping their suffering but you can't because you would face prosecution and I doubt many people still have the strength (or resources) left at that point, to take on that fight.

We are fantastic at keeping people alive. We are horrible at knowing when not to.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Hard, Jaguar, N/A liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Do you not even grasp the concept of mercy? Spend months and years with a terminally ill loved one, which I've been able to do now twice. Watching them suffer and being able to do nothing, even when they cry and beg for your help? Beg doctors and nurses and anyone that will listen to just help them end it. Can you understand what that is like? You would do anything for them, including taking their life and stopping their suffering but you can't because you would face prosecution and I doubt many people still have the strength (or resources) left at that point, to take on that fight.

We are fantastic at keeping people alive. We are horrible at knowing when not to.
    Keeping people alive against their will is the worst kind of torture, IMO.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes N/A liked this post

Here, at least, it is very rare that palliative care in a well supported and funded hospice does not provide death with care and dignity.

This removes the need for assisted suicide in most cases. However even with good palliative care in hospices there is still a strong social movement for assisted suicide, and I expect it will succeed.

Unsurprisingly, at least unsurprisingly for me, we do not agree on this.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon