User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default On political discussions in general?

Does anyone else feel like they don't have the patience for them anymore? I just feel like I don't have the will to pour my emotional energy into something like that. It doesn't mean that I think voting is stupid, it's just that the issues don't motivate me the way they used to.

I wonder if it's because so many of the things I was passionate about have kind of been, or are getting, resolved. What seemed radically left-wing in 2006 is now part of the political mainstream (in some ways this is good, and in others, bad).

Maybe it's age.... I'm a full-time permanent employee with benefts, and while that hasn't turned me into a GOP supporter, it might have taken away a sense of emotional immediacy.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

A lot of people become more conservative as they get older and acquire more wisdom. They stop doing drugs and looking to celebrities for political inspiration.

Liberalism is like a stage of life that juvenile offspring go through on their way to becoming an adult. But some never grow out of that phase and live their entire lives in a state of whimsical idealism that clashes with reality.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Crabs View Post
    A lot of people become more conservative as they get older and acquire more wisdom. They stop doing drugs and looking to celebrities for political inspiration.

Liberalism is like a stage of life that juvenile offspring go through on their way to becoming an adult. But some never grow out of that phase and live their entire lives in a state of whimsical idealism that clashes with reality.
    You don't appear to have read my OP, which isn't about liberalism vs. conservatism.
    Likes MDP2525, /DG/, Ivy, Bknight liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Does anyone else feel like they don't have the patience for them anymore? I just feel like I don't have the will to pour my emotional energy into something like that. It doesn't mean that I think voting is stupid, it's just that the issues don't motivate me the way they used to.

I wonder if it's because so many of the things I was passionate about have kind of been, or are getting, resolved. What seemed radically left-wing in 2006 is now part of the political mainstream (in some ways this is good, and in others, bad).

Maybe it's age.... I'm a full-time permanent employee with benefts, and while that hasn't turned me into a GOP supporter, it might have taken away a sense of emotional immediacy.
    Emotional Energy? What on earth do you do when you do "politics"?

I can also see what the other poster came from or how he got that from your OP. It almost sounds like you regret your old politics to some degree. I at least read that as well. The "in others, bad" along with "while it hasn't turned me into a GOP supporter" sends out that message whether it was intentional or not.

Also Liberals tend to blow up politics to a high degree when they are young and burn out faster than conservatives, you see this in voting habits in general. Comparing yourself to the mean behavior of your political ideologues could help enlighten what your currently go through.

So I'm guessing its more or less that. You did the damage you could do or believe yourself capable of, and thus its up to the next generation of free roaming youth to bombard the current moderates / leftover conservatives.

Also the state of political affairs is barely a fight anymore, you kind of hinted at us this one, but to expand upon it. The Hegemony the Left holds over the West with acceptable political thought and speech is to such a massive degree, its entirely possible that your inner warrior might be feeling like a bored king.

But to answer your question directly, no I don't. I'm not sure what you do, but for me politics consists about a hour or two of reading/translating various material a day to stay informed or to expand my conceptual understandings, the occasional self controlled debates/discussions, and writing to organize thoughts and highlight issues. All of which I stay pretty collected and stoic. I also find it mentally entertaining, even reading a few political books and drawing out a history of the evolution of all political ideology within the West using the enlightenment period as a starting point.
    Likes Kullervo, Crabs, SpankyMcFly, Xann liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

I totally understand where you're coming from, Vulcan. And I know there are probably a lot of people who think "Wtf? How can debating politics drain your emotional energy when it's just logic/using your brain?" Well, I can't speak for anyone other than myself, but taking into account that I'm a 9, phlegmatic-melancholic temperament, alpha quadra etc. I like debating for fun, when I am in a positive mood, for entertainment and educational purposes. More important to me than debating politics with strangers on an internet forum about personality type is maintaining a sense of inner calm and peace. "Debate" and "conflict" are not the same, but they are similar enough to me. So while I enjoy occasionally participating in discussion when I have something to say that may prompt some discussion, I am wary of ever posting in this subforum because eventually I will become tired and worn out, because debates never end. You can go back and forth forever, each party learning more and more about the opposition's viewpoints and opinions, which brings up more and more to talk about, to the point where it can be literally endless. On the rare occasion that I actually make a post in here, it's because I'm in a mood where I am interested--and debates may last a lot longer than my interest can hold them for, and if I force myself to join the back-and-forth even after I'm worn out and tired, it puts me in a bad mood and I'm not about bad moods. Not because I want to "cop out" of the discussion, but because at some point you just realize that neither party is going to change their minds or opinions, everyone is taking the matter way too seriously, and that it's just not worth it to me personally to spend hours of my days writing out lengthy, thought-out debates with random people over and over, when I'd much rather be using that time to do something more practical, like doing the dishes and laundry, working on homework, reading a book, whatever. Because there comes a point in every debate where the point has been made, and it's still being dragged out, and there's really no point in continuing the discussion unless you're super into politics to begin with.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

not a type description
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

For me equation is pretty simple:

1. Political figures will do what they will do and debating this with common people will not change the outcome. Especially since we live in the world where values have advantage over concrete argument.

2. Less and less people knows how to debate politics, what mean that more and more discussions comes down to trolling, conspiracy theories, arguments without proof and general paranoia.

3. Many people don't pay attention to deeper levels of politics that goes beyond daily politics that you see every day on TV.

4. People prefer local politics to global politics but that is wrong since what happens globally dictates what happens on local level (especially now when globalization kicked in). Therefore you can debate local level until you die but only one "earthquake" on global level can sweep away everything what was said on both sides. What makes the debates purely on local level pointless, while most people simply don't have the nerves or knowledge to engage the debate on global level. Therefore they stay away from the discussions.

In other words modern political discussions lack content and reality checks, what makes them pointless and boring.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

While I never really had the patience for them to begin with, what little I did have has certainly evaporated with old age. I identify as a conservative though, so I just chalked it up to the non stopped bombardment of disappointment I've experienced since that idiot Bush Jr turned republicans into liberal spazzes.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

It's highly dependent on my mood. Generally, I tire of them very quickly if I am not on the same page (or close to the same page). If my views are too different, or I see the others as having intractable views, I generally just want them to stop talking and will either just go away, or tell them to cork it. The later doesn't work so well online, but in person it works.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

political bigotry is as common as religious bigotry, at this point

and it saddens me to see my fellow atheists following the leftist agenda so blindly

debating, for the most part, is a fruitless exercise
    Likes ZNP-TBA liked this post

Just when the Islamic State has created Caliphates in the Philippines and in Malaysia, the Left are telling us they are tired of politics.

I'll tell you what: the Islamists are not getting tired of politics, and the allies of the Islamists, the Left, are suggesting we lie doggo, in order to disarm us in the face of Islamic totalitarianism.

The Left sought to disarm us in the face of International Communism, which having failed, the Left are still using the same psychological tricks against us with Islamism.