User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 47

  1. #1
    Yup
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    Istj
    Posts
    1,517

    Default when the culture no longer relflects those that previously inhabited the area.

    i seen a video on youtube, which i could no longer find but it was of a women who returned home to find her home had changed drastically an was full of muslims..she was not happy about this, though she probably no longer lived there.





    say a town was all Caucasian, but gradually those white people moved away until none are occupying it but in their place are immigrants, an their children or children`s children. due to this change, the area no longer reflects cowboys, settlers an such but religious ideologies of the newer inhabitants that occupy the area. now Caucasians return, finding they are the minority in this area and complain about america changing after abandoning the area saying that "it now reflects, little china", " little mexico" or " little pakastani" an feel strongly about things like city an its council should not be reflective or take into consideration the dominantly occupying group of people but should still remain the same though they are now the minority. as a minority, these exclusive group of people are holding strong to the governing positions in the city, there is zero diversity on the council. is this wrong?what are your thoughts?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

  2. #2
    Dik Dik of the Year yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    Regarding your scenario, I don't think the Caucasian Americans deserve to complain about the culture of (white) America changing since Caucasian Americans are the reason that Native American culture is practically wiped out. It would be hypocritical.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description
    Likes jcloudz, 21% liked this post

  3. #3
    Yup
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    Istj
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    it honestly can be the reverse as well, you can flip the roles where chinese heavily populated an area an now its over run by whites, an the chinese experienced yellow flight, or black people experienced black flight but later came back.

    ^cringe worthy?


    smoking pot, sorry for grammer.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

  4. #4
    Dope& diamonds. Dyslexxie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    say a town was all Caucasian, but gradually those white people moved away until none are occupying it but in their place are immigrants, an their children or children`s children. due to this change, the area no longer reflects cowboys, settlers an such but religious ideologies of the newer inhabitants that occupy the area. now Caucasians return, finding they are the minority in this area and complain about america changing after abandoning the area saying that "it now reflects, little china", " little mexico" or " little pakastani" an feel strongly about things like city an its council should not be reflective or take into consideration the dominantly occupying group of people but should still remain the same though they are now the minority. as a minority, these exclusive group of people are holding strong to the governing positions in the city, there is zero diversity on the council. is this wrong?what are your thoughts?
    This is starting to sound like the story of Israel and Palestine. I guess the way I see it is that there are winners and losers, whether in war or in cultural domination and you can't always assume your culture will persevere. Afterall, the greatest empires of all time have long ago fallen, in spite of the reaches of their dominance.
    Likes jcloudz liked this post

  5. #5
    Yup
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    Istj
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    cant assume my home will be frozen in time an the same when i return an still be my home, as i left it.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee
    Likes Dyslexxie liked this post

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    Regarding your scenario, I don't think the Caucasian Americans deserve to complain about the culture of (white) America changing since Caucasian Americans are the reason that Native American culture is practically wiped out. It would be hypocritical.
    I never understood people with your warped way of thinking, would you justify a random present day Jew murdering a present day German because early mid 20th century Nazis? The Germans can't complain because that would be hypocritical?

    For the same reason illustrated above, the Caucasian lady in question does not inherent all the sins of her ancestors or even non ancestors who are grouped in racially with her, you don't even know what actual ethnic background the person in question comes from, she could be ethnically Greek for all you know.

    Also conquest is rather the norm for the vast majority of groups. Texas, Arizona and New Mexico were part of Mexico. They were also parts of the Confederate States of America. Texas and California were at one point independent nations. They were a part of Mexico at one point but Mexico was once a part of Spain. France also possessed some of that area. Of course Spain originally stole a lot of those lands from the Apache. It doesn't end there since before white settlement, a lot of those Apache lands were stolen from the Comanche. The Comanche stole many of their lands from the Pueblo. The Pueblo in turn stole many of those lands from other tribes.


    Allies of the Aztecs were trying to steal from more northerly tribes.

    So if we are to say Mexicans (part Spaniard, land-thieves same as all other Europeans, and part-Aztec...imperialist land-thieves who were trying to steal & push northward when they met Conquistadors) can claim to Arizona then how the hell doesn't Spain also have such a claim? Should the Confederacy be re-established and given control of Arizona since the USA obviously stole Arizona from them?

    Where is this authority coming from giving you the ability to make a time stamp for acceptable no questions asked ownership? You can play the oppression/conquest Olympics till the cows come home, but you simply stop at a very specific period, my question is why that period?
    @gasoline

    So tying this to the OP, I would bet it would be sad, in the same sense that even seeing the buildings or stores one has bee accustomed to seeing as childhood gone. We generally go back to childhood places to remember things, and not having that replicated can be sad.

    That said areas change for better or worse, as seen in my example. You simply make new memories or fight to preserve favored system or ways of living as really those are your only options.
    Likes jixmixfix liked this post

  7. #7
    Dik Dik of the Year yama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    I'm Fe
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    @Slate I am not blaming modern-day people for the action of the ancestors, but unfortunately we inherit the consequences and responsibilities left behind to us by our ancestors. White Americans in the past were responsible for the terrible things done to Native Americans (and many others), and while there's no one alive who was involved or would even necessarily condone it, that doesn't change the fact that there are lasting consequences that unfortunately the modern day population has to deal with because of the shitty past actions of our ancestors. They left a mess for us to clean up and it would not be tactful or respectable for us to just leave it there. American government is not doing enough to try and preserve Native American culture, and since the government supposedly is run by the people, the majority of whom are Caucasian (but not forever--eventually minorities will outnumber whites in America), the responsibility falls onto the Caucasian population. You can disagree with me, of course. This is more of a personal ideal that I don't expect everyone to follow, even though I wish they would.

    I live in Arizona so I very well know the history of the area. I was born here. I am white. If I left Arizona and came back to see that suddenly the culture here had changed, I could be sad or nostalgic, but I have no right to complain. That's what things do. They change. It would be rather stupid of me to think things were always going to stay the same. And it would be hypocritical of me to think that those minorities shouldn't be allowed to bring their culture to the area but that mine should stay the same. That is what I meant by my original post, not that we should play the "Who's-Land-Is-It-Anyway" game.
    MBTI: ESFJ
    Enneagram: 6w7 9w1 2w3 so/sx
    Temperament: Phlegmatic | Sanguine
    Astrology: Leo Sun | Aries Moon | Leo Rising
    Johari | Nohari

    not a type description
    Likes jcloudz, Ghost liked this post

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexxie View Post
    This is starting to sound like the story of Israel and Palestine. I guess the way I see it is that there are winners and losers, whether in war or in cultural domination and you can't always assume your culture will persevere. Afterall, the greatest empires of all time have long ago fallen, in spite of the reaches of their dominance.
    This is a fair comment.

    What I can't understand, morally, is why some people cheer on, or even worse actively facilitate the decline of their own culture.

  9. #9
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2014
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni
    Posts
    3,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    @Slate I am not blaming modern-day people for the action of the ancestors, but unfortunately we inherit the consequences and responsibilities left behind to us by our ancestors.
    I disagree. The past does not justify the future.

    Consider where this chain of thought would lead. Almost every ethnic group has been enslaved by another at some point in history. Should I complain to the Italians for enslaving my Saxon ancestors, and demand reparations?

    If you'd laugh at that idea, you have no moral grounds to demand I give up my money to anyone else.

  10. #10
    Senior Member anticlimatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,317

    Default

    I know native Americans hated it.

Similar Threads

  1. Political study indicates majority rule democracy no longer exists in the U.S.
    By statuesquechica in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 10:44 PM
  2. [INTP] INTP men, how do you behave when you are no longer attracted to a girl?
    By Almari in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 10:29 PM
  3. I'm no longer sure I'm an INTP-- Vote in the poll
    By Such Irony in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2010, 11:58 PM
  4. When is being late no longer fashionable?
    By Lurker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-17-2009, 10:33 PM
  5. 'The Bible is no longer considered part of the conversation'
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 08:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO