User Tag List

First 8161718

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I'm so depressed. I feel like our country is heading for disaster. I have my neighbor telling me that Obama is going to ruin us, while I feel McCain isn't the right choice. Maybe once the debating commences I'll feel more reassured.
    I don't think any one man can "ruin" a country as big and as rich as the United States without a lot of help. We've had bad U.S. Presidents before and survived them. Hell, my life is actually better than it was in January of 2001, when Bush took over. People attribute way too many things to government leaders (especially the executive branch).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't think any one man can "ruin" a country as big and as rich as the United States without a lot of help. We've had bad U.S. Presidents before and survived them. Hell, my life is actually better than it was in January of 2001, when Bush took over. People attribute way too many things to government leaders (especially the executive branch).
    You're right, we have survived some pretty craptastic Presidents.

But never before have we had only three not so great choices with a country that is in decline to the point of parallels being drawn to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Two years ago, I wrote a paper comparing the current state of our union to the fall of the Roman Empire. If anything, we've only progressed further down that path.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    You're right, we have survived some pretty craptastic Presidents.

But never before have we had only three not so great choices with a country that is in decline to the point of parallels being drawn to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Two years ago, I wrote a paper comparing the current state of our union to the fall of the Roman Empire. If anything, we've only progressed further down that path.
    A big step in the right direction would be drop the imperial aspect of our nation-state. I keep saying, over and over, we have too many troops in too many countries doing too many things. We involve ourselves in bullshit all the time. We need to stop being the boss country, and get back to being the example country.

MBTI
    xNTJ

A big step in the right direction would be drop the imperial aspect of our nation-state. I keep saying, over and over, we have too many troops in too many countries doing too many things. We involved ourselves in bullshit all the time. We need to stop being the boss country, and get back to being the example country.
    I'd love to see us get out of Iraq. I never wanted to go there to begin with, but now that we're there and we've destabilized the region, we need to see it to the finish. Invading Afghanistan in search of bin Laden and to overthrow the Taliban regime was justifiable, IMO.

But it would be nice to have a president who focused more on domestic issues than foreign. We need to get our own house back in order before we help elsewhere.

Step one would be to improve our education system. Getting people educated is a way of reducing dependence on welfare. The only problem is, starting at the kindergarten level, it's not a quick fix, and that's what our politicians are into these days.

Drill for oil to reduce our dependence on foreign nations. Build more nuclear power plants. Integrate Barrack Obama's "green jobs" plan so that we can fund new power sources, like improved wind and solar technologies. And tell the people who support it but don't want it in their back yard to STFU.

None of these are instant solutions. So many things in our country are messed right now that it will take time to fix them all.

Oh, here's an idea... maybe instead of picking on big oil (whose profits are actually in line with the volume that they sell), encourage and incent big oil to put some of those profits into researching green energy solutions.

And get off the ethanol. It takes more fuel to create it than it actually produces and contributes to rising food costs.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't think any one man can "ruin" a country as big and as rich as the United States without a lot of help.
    Well Republicans have controlled all three branches of government for 6 out of the 8 past years. So Bush did have a lot of help, and since he's a horrible leader, we're about as bad off as one man could make us. I wouldn't say he "ruined" our country, but I think most people are worse off now than they were eight years ago, and a fair amount are dramatically worse off.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well Republicans have controlled all three branches of government for 6 out of the 8 past years. So Bush did have a lot of help, and since he's a horrible leader, we're about as bad off as one man could make us. I wouldn't say he "ruined" our country, but I think most people are worse off now than they were eight years ago, and a fair amount are dramatically worse off.
    I am quite a bit better off at this point, but it has little-to-nothing to do with Bush. And things could be a lot worse than they are now. I don't think either major candidate will be as bad as he has been, although they may try hard.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Yeah...they have controlled the branches of the government, but as Mitt Romney says, we've got to get those liberals and Washington elitists out! :steam: (lol, that face is really pissed. As am I). And don't forget that liberal media (that's barely called any of the b.s. just streaming out of folks' mouths like a river last night, and at the moment is largely giving Palin a free pass. Now they've redefined "experience" to be differentiated between "executive experience" and "non-executive experience"? George Lakoff was not kidding when he said that the Republicans have cornered the market on framing new meanings of words as their needs change).

Clips of those speeches from the RNC last night just about blew my mind. I'm still trying to figure out what was so HI-laaarious about Obama being a community organizer. And don't misunderstand me, I'm no big Obama supporter, I'm not jiving with either major party, but the pure lack of logic and the yapping on and on about some mythical land full of true American small town-living, Walmart-shopping, soccer/sports-mom being, etc, etc, etc (screw the rest of us in small- middle- or large urban centers among other diverse demographic categories) that is going to find it's hero in this Republican ticket just about made me want to vomit. If they want to talk about elitism, they should look in the mirror, because hearing their constant drivel about "average America" or whatever shuts half of the country out of their love-fest, and talking down "community organizing" doesn't exactly make a person look like "a man/woman of the people."

Lol, I may be veering off topic - just needed another rant session. Every day brings new fodder and higher blood pressure levels.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by ZiL View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what was so HI-laaarious about Obama being a community organizer. And don't misunderstand me, I'm no big Obama supporter, I'm not jiving with either major party, but the pure lack of logic and the yapping on and on about some mythical land full of true American small town-living, Walmart-shopping, soccer/sports-mom being, etc, etc, etc (screw the rest of us in small- middle- or large urban centers among other diverse demographic categories) that is going to find it's hero in this Republican ticket just about made me want to vomit. If they want to talk about elitism, they should look in the mirror, because hearing their constant drivel about "average America" or whatever shuts half of the country out of their love-fest, and talking down "community organizing" doesn't exactly make a person look like "a man/woman of the people."
    That was when I started giving Giuliani the finger.

Granted--I do have a bias. I will be voting for Obama for sure, and there's probably nothing John McCain can do about it (well, definitely not now that he's got Palin on his ticket). But if Obama started totally trashing McCain, I would be disgusted by it. I am disgusted when I hear it from other people. And it seemed incredibly, incredibly low to mock Obama's real, concrete experience with real, live people. I mean, Giuliani hid the homeless, but what has he done for PEOPLE? What has he done to SERVE? I mean, besides 9/11, 9/11, 9/11.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I'm so depressed. I feel like our country is heading for disaster. I have my neighbor telling me that Obama is going to ruin us, while I feel McCain isn't the right choice. Maybe once the debating commences I'll feel more reassured.
    yeah, thats why not caring is a 100% sure way to not feel disaster comin on! lol

for reals though. if all i watch is discovery channel, i forget whose president.