User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 179

  1. #111
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Technically, someone could increase expenditures without making an effort to increase oversight, so the government wouldn't expand. The idea is horribly rittled with flaws of course, but it is an alternative. In fact, I think it's actually been the current administration's policy.

    I'd just like to note that an idea of a bigger government doesn't actually bother, depending on how it is expanded. Having tons of people employed by the government could be positive, since it could fit my "be the government" philosophy. That would mainly be true so long as the government were run more like a cooperative than a corporation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #112
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    The McCain campaign is really reaching when it comes to pumping up Palin. Maybe this will backfire if the media and public become savvy to it.

    Factcheck.org: A Maverick Misleads | Newsweek Politics: Conventions | Newsweek.com

  3. #113
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'd just like to note that an idea of a bigger government doesn't actually bother, depending on how it is expanded. Having tons of people employed by the government could be positive, since it could fit my "be the government" philosophy. That would mainly be true so long as the government were run more like a cooperative than a corporation.
    I can't see it. Honestly and truly, if our largest employer is the government, then we are so screwed. Especially since it's our tax dollars that pay for it.

    I have a very hard time seeing how tons of people employed by our government and funded by our tax dollars can be a good thing.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  4. #114
    Senior Member SillyGoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    EXXP
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The McCain campaign is really reaching when it comes to pumping up Palin. Maybe this will backfire is media and public become savvy to it.

    Factcheck.org: A Maverick Misleads | Newsweek Politics: Conventions | Newsweek.com


    I think they were hoping to draw in a lot of Hillary supporters.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

  5. #115
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    I have a very hard time seeing how tons of people employed by our government and funded by our tax dollars can be a good thing.
    One could argue that the social welfare state in many parts of europe is working in terms of quality-of-life.

  6. #116
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Is it true that she is strongly against gay marrage/rights?

    I know that this idea doesn't work with current american ideas and culture in many places, but I think being against gay marrage itself could almost make someone not qualified for presidency in itself. I mean, why the hell are people still against it, I'm flabbergasted. But my opinion is worthless cause I don't even live in the US and thus don't understand the ideaology behind it...

    Does the issue of gay marrage have large importance in this election, like it did when Bush got elected? Is "family values" still important.

  7. #117
    almost nekkid scantilyclad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx
    Posts
    2,109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Is it true that she is strongly against gay marrage/rights?

    I know that this idea doesn't work with current american ideas and culture in many places, but I think being against gay marrage itself could almost make someone not qualified for presidency in itself. I mean, why the hell are people still against it, I'm flabbergasted. But my opinion is worthless cause I don't even live in the US and thus don't understand the ideaology behind it...

    Does the issue of gay marrage have large importance in this election, like it did when Bush got elected? Is "family values" still important.
    She stated that she believes marriage should be between a man and a woman.. She also voted that its okay to deny benefits to homosexual couples, and no spousal benefits for same sex couples.

    it just seems wrong to me to deny people of rights based on who they choose as a partner, but that is just my opinion.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

  8. #118
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    One could argue that the social welfare state in many parts of europe is working in terms of quality-of-life.
    Their generous welfare state and stringent employment laws and strong unions are also making their labor markets inflexible and unemployment high. Unemployment for those under 30 in France is at something like 20%. That is insane.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #119
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Their generous welfare state and stringent employment laws and strong unions are also making their labor markets inflexible and unemployment high. Unemployment for those under 30 in France is at something like 20%. That is insane.
    Half of the social welfare states in northern europe have a higher GDP per capita than the US, the other half are just below.

    Economically (France of course has room for improvement) these places are doing fine, despite their welfare states.

  10. #120
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Their generous welfare state and stringent employment laws and strong unions are also making their labor markets inflexible and unemployment high. Unemployment for those under 30 in France is at something like 20%. That is insane.
    If the economy is strong, and the lives of these unemployed people are still fairly good, then it doesn't strike me as an immense problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Half of the social welfare states in northern europe have a higher GDP per capita than the US, the other half are just below.
    Higher GDP per capita and among the lowest GINI levels in the world! It's such a wonderful combination.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. Anne Coutler says woman should be sent to prison for wearing a hijab
    By Pseudo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 159
    Last Post: 05-07-2013, 10:11 PM
  2. What do You think should be the maximum tax rate for an individual?
    By UniqueMixture in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 05-18-2012, 06:35 AM
  3. How Prison Should Be Run
    By Savage Idealist in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 08:56 PM
  4. Should individuals prosecuted for child neglect, cruelty or abuse be sterilised?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 01:12 AM
  5. Should Letterman be fired for being a perv?
    By Tigerlily in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO