User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Technically, someone could increase expenditures without making an effort to increase oversight, so the government wouldn't expand. The idea is horribly rittled with flaws of course, but it is an alternative. In fact, I think it's actually been the current administration's policy.

I'd just like to note that an idea of a bigger government doesn't actually bother, depending on how it is expanded. Having tons of people employed by the government could be positive, since it could fit my "be the government" philosophy. That would mainly be true so long as the government were run more like a cooperative than a corporation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The McCain campaign is really reaching when it comes to pumping up Palin. Maybe this will backfire if the media and public become savvy to it.

Factcheck.org: A Maverick Misleads | Newsweek Politics: Conventions | Newsweek.com

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'd just like to note that an idea of a bigger government doesn't actually bother, depending on how it is expanded. Having tons of people employed by the government could be positive, since it could fit my "be the government" philosophy. That would mainly be true so long as the government were run more like a cooperative than a corporation.
    I can't see it. Honestly and truly, if our largest employer is the government, then we are so screwed. Especially since it's our tax dollars that pay for it.

I have a very hard time seeing how tons of people employed by our government and funded by our tax dollars can be a good thing.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    EXXP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The McCain campaign is really reaching when it comes to pumping up Palin. Maybe this will backfire is media and public become savvy to it.

Factcheck.org: A Maverick Misleads | Newsweek Politics: Conventions | Newsweek.com

I think they were hoping to draw in a lot of Hillary supporters.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    I have a very hard time seeing how tons of people employed by our government and funded by our tax dollars can be a good thing.
    One could argue that the social welfare state in many parts of europe is working in terms of quality-of-life.

MBTI
    infp

Is it true that she is strongly against gay marrage/rights?

I know that this idea doesn't work with current american ideas and culture in many places, but I think being against gay marrage itself could almost make someone not qualified for presidency in itself. I mean, why the hell are people still against it, I'm flabbergasted. But my opinion is worthless cause I don't even live in the US and thus don't understand the ideaology behind it...

Does the issue of gay marrage have large importance in this election, like it did when Bush got elected? Is "family values" still important.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Is it true that she is strongly against gay marrage/rights?

I know that this idea doesn't work with current american ideas and culture in many places, but I think being against gay marrage itself could almost make someone not qualified for presidency in itself. I mean, why the hell are people still against it, I'm flabbergasted. But my opinion is worthless cause I don't even live in the US and thus don't understand the ideaology behind it...

Does the issue of gay marrage have large importance in this election, like it did when Bush got elected? Is "family values" still important.
    She stated that she believes marriage should be between a man and a woman.. She also voted that its okay to deny benefits to homosexual couples, and no spousal benefits for same sex couples.

it just seems wrong to me to deny people of rights based on who they choose as a partner, but that is just my opinion.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ESFJ

One could argue that the social welfare state in many parts of europe is working in terms of quality-of-life.
    Their generous welfare state and stringent employment laws and strong unions are also making their labor markets inflexible and unemployment high. Unemployment for those under 30 in France is at something like 20%. That is insane.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Their generous welfare state and stringent employment laws and strong unions are also making their labor markets inflexible and unemployment high. Unemployment for those under 30 in France is at something like 20%. That is insane.
    Half of the social welfare states in northern europe have a higher GDP per capita than the US, the other half are just below.

Economically (France of course has room for improvement) these places are doing fine, despite their welfare states.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If the economy is strong, and the lives of these unemployed people are still fairly good, then it doesn't strike me as an immense problem.

Half of the social welfare states in northern europe have a higher GDP per capita than the US, the other half are just below.
    Higher GDP per capita and among the lowest GINI levels in the world! It's such a wonderful combination.
    Go to sleep, iguana.