User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Are they being illogical like the pro-choice person who believes abortion is murder apparently is?

Neither are, because not everyone believes murder is always wrong.
    This definition of "murder" must be a strange one. HOMICIDE isn't always wrong, but murder is (or it should be, anyway).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

So they are illogical because they don't follow your personal views on what is wrong or right?
    "Murder is wrong" = "my personal view?" I don't think so.

MBTI
    INFP

I'd just change "Feminism is normally against removing legal rights" to "Feminism is normally for maintaining and increasing legal rights pertaining to women, not getting rid of them."
    True. Still, as I said, I think the legal rights thing is just the tool they use to promote what they see as universal rights. For those who don't see abortion as a breach of the universal rights, banning of abortion would be seen as counterproductive to their cause, but for those who do think it violates universal rights it's logical to accept a ban. IOW no inconsistency in any of the views, just two logical conclusions to the question: Is abortion an universal human right or a violation of an universal human right?

Lots of people believe putting people to death is murder, yet they support the death penalty.
    Heh, I've never been able to understand that view.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Daughters of "uber-liberal" moms get pregnant too. It's a flimsy connection.
    True enough, but I was speaking in terms of "safe to talk to mom about sex."

But, for the record, when I went to high school in the south, it was always the good girls from the nice Christian families who got pregnant, not the ones who were "sluts".
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    xNTJ

Lots of people believe putting people to death is murder, yet they support the death penalty.
    And it seems like a lot of pro-lifers support the death penalty while a lot of pro-choicers are anti-death penalty. That's always seemed inconsistent to me.

But, hey, I support both, so maybe that just makes me bloodthirsty.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTP

Considering that about half of all pregnancies involve a girl child, I'd say there's nothing contradictory about calling oneself a pro-life feminist. In many parts of the world (e.g., China) girls are much more likely to be aborted than boys, because society doesn't value its girls as highly as its boys in either a social or economic sense. I'd say that definitely makes it a feminist issue. That it is possible to hold to either a pro-life or a pro-choice view and still be a feminist simply demonstrates that those who try to confound the issues are guided more by their politics than a coherent philosophy. Thus far everything I've heard about Sarah Palin indicates that she is guided by a rational and consistent philosophy of life, and truly seeks to live by its principles. That's more than can be said for most folks, and certainly most politicians.

In any event, the decision by Bristol Palin to have her child, get married, etc. is a purely family matter and has nothing to do with her mother's qualifications for office. The rumors that baby Trig was Bristol's have been debunked by biology, so there's nothing left on that front that might impact on our evaluation of Sarah Palin as a VP candidate.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    And it seems like a lot of pro-lifers support the death penalty while a lot of pro-choicers are anti-death penalty. That's always seemed inconsistent to me.
    Not really; the former think that murderers have abrogated their right to life through their actions, while the latter may believe that the right to life cannot be abrogated, but the unborn simply do not qualify as human beings with inherent rights.

To a large extent, though, your implicit point is valid; people tend to adopt the issue-positions of their political compatriots, even when the basis of such positions conflict with the values and principles that originally brought such people together behind a separate issue.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Not really; the former think that murderers have abrogated their right to life through their actions, while the latter may believe that the right to life cannot be abrogated, but the unborn simply do not qualify as human beings with inherent rights.
    This is a good point; most Americans do not believe that capital punishment is murder (and, in theory, it is not). However, I do not understand Catholics (especially Catholic politicians) who are "pro-life" and pro-death penalty at the same time.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    However, I do not understand Catholics (especially Catholic politicians) who are "pro-life" and pro-death penalty at the same time.
    What if "pro-life" was changed to "anti-induced abortion"? Ta-da, no contradiction.
    I don't wanna!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    What if "pro-life" was changed to "anti-induced abortion"? Ta-da, no contradiction.
    The problem is that pro-life people tend to start building premises on the concept of preserving life, so it's not longer just about the word.
    Go to sleep, iguana.