User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You can't see how believing in women's autonomy and rights would clash with the belief that abortion is wrong?
    Those ideas only "clash" because they aren't common. There is nothing cognitively dissonant about them. This is just an issue for which emotion crowds out rationality, on BOTH sides.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Those ideas only "clash" because they aren't common. There is nothing cognitively dissonant about them. This is just an issue for which emotion crowds out rationality, on BOTH sides.
    Making abortion illegal would restrict women's rights, in direct contrast with feminism.

It would be taking what is now a legal right, and doing away with it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You can't see how believing in women's autonomy and rights would clash with the belief that abortion is wrong?
    I don't, no. I probably am one, actually. A pro-life feminist could focus on solving the social problems that lead to abortion being an attractive choice for a woman, rather than on the right to have an abortion. I'm not in favor of re-outlawing abortion but I do think it's a regretful reality and one I'd like to see much, much more rare or non-existent. I also don't think it's necessary to shame or punish women for seeking it out--we just need to fix the reasons they seek it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Making abortion illegal would restrict women's rights, in direct contrast with feminism.

Feminists don't necessarily want women to have the right to do things they consider wrong. A pro-life feminist likely that no one male OR female should have the right to murder another human being, any more than they should have the right to discriminate against a woman in the workplace.

Again, I'm not in favor of outlawing abortion (mainly because it wouldn't go away even if we did), but I don't disagree with the position.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Feminists don't necessarily want women to have the right to do things they consider wrong. A pro-life feminist likely that no one male OR female should have the right to murder another human being, any more than they should have the right to discriminate against a woman in the workplace.

Again, I'm not in favor of outlawing abortion (mainly because it wouldn't go away even if we did), but I don't disagree with the position.
    Everyone thinks abortion is a sad event, seems you are essentially pro-choice.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Everyone thinks abortion is a sad event, seems you are essentially pro-choice.
    Well, gee, thanks for informing me of my own position. LOL

And no, not everybody thinks abortion is a sad event. I'm not really against it because I think it's "sad."

MBTI
    ESFJ

That doesn't hold water. If you honestly believe that abortion is murder, then there IS no right to do it. You have to be able to understand that line of reasoning.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That doesn't hold water. If you honestly believe that abortion is murder, then there IS no right to do it. You have to be able to understand that line of reasoning.
    It's taking away a legal right (i'm not talking about the natural rights theory) from women, something feminism generally isn't for.

Sure it's possible to be a pro-life feminist, but the reason why it's a rare identification is clear.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Well, gee, thanks for informing me of my own position. LOL

And no, not everybody thinks abortion is a sad event. I'm not really against it because I think it's "sad."
    If you are pro-letting women choose, you are pro-choice. You wouldn't deny that right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If you are pro-letting women choose, you are pro-choice. You wouldn't deny that right?
    I don't think it's a black and white issue and I'm uncomfortable with the attempts by both extremes to make it so. So I don't call myself either one.