User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I think Palin will still be able to prove to the Republicans that she is for family values.
    I mean, hey.. well... the daughter certainly can't get an abortion now.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Sarah Palin doesn't oppose birth control, by her own admission
    Right, but would she have been cool with her daughter coming to her at age 16 and asking to go on the Pill? When my sister and I were 16 we both went on the Pill and Mom drove us to the clinic. And what I've said to my 15 yo daughter is 'I'd rather that you wait until you are an adult, out of high school and better equiped to deal with the impact of having sex - BUT if you are going to do it, I'll drive you to get whatever you need, and I promise not to judge you.'

Frankly, I think the fact that her daugther is pregnant is an example of the downside of these conservative values - the kids can't tell their parents that they are having sex.

MBTI
    INTP

Seriously? Her daughter is pregnant and that means she is unfit for office? This coming from the same group that asserted that a president's own philandering did not make him unfit for office?

For the record, I'm not pro-Palin, nor anti-Clinton, just annoyed with the inconsistencies on both sides and tired of the state of politics having nothing to do with actual important issues.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Right, but would she have been cool with her daughter coming to her at age 16 and asking to go on the Pill? When my sister and I were 16 we both went on the Pill and Mom drove us to the clinic. And what I've said to my 15 yo daughter is 'I'd rather that you wait until you are an adult, out of high school and better equiped to deal with the impact of having sex - BUT if you are going to do it, I'll drive you to get whatever you need, and I promise not to judge you.'

Frankly, I think the fact that her daugther is pregnant is an example of the downside of these conservative values - the kids can't tell their parents that they are having sex.
    Well, as stated before, Bristol Palin did get sex ed in public high school, and her mother is not anti-contraception, but none of us knows what the atmosphere regarding sexual morality is like within their home. I know a girl who got pregnant the same age, and in a similarly rich and evangelical home, and she told me that her parents would have been FAR more incensed to find out if she had been getting drunk and experimenting with drugs. In my middle-class, weak-but-practicing Catholic upbringing, getting drunk (and even trying some drugs) is de rigueur for high school kids, but my parents would have been really upset if they caught me having sex in their house, especially at that age.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

True - I shouldn't have assumed that she promoted abstinance for her kids. With her Pentecostal/Assembly of God religion, I just took it for granted. My mistake.

Edit - just read on Wiki that her own first child was born eight months after her own wedding, so I guess she's cool with premarital sex.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    True - I shouldn't have assumed that she promoted abstinance for her kids. With her Pentecostal/Assembly of God religion, I just took it for granted. My mistake.

Edit - just read on Wiki that her own first child was born eight months after her own wedding, so I guess she's cool with premarital sex.
    She's been with her husband since high school, so it seems it was about 8 years between meeting him and getting married. I'd be willing to bet that she and her husband starting having sex at their engagement or before.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

If morals played a part in Bush being elected for another term then I hope this ruins their chances this time. Here are a few other things that bug me about McCain's choice in VP.

When she was recently asked about her chances of being offered the VP position she replied, "As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?" There are so many things wrong with this woman which makes me even more determined to vote for Obama in hopes of avoiding even more damage and bad publicity for our country. She also backs the Alaska Independence Party and they want to separate Alaska from the US which is going to destroy McCain's "Country First" thing.

I watched some of the Republican Convention last night and couldn't believe how glassy eyed and easily persuaded a lot of those people appeared to be in the crowd.

Do you want this woman running our country if McCain croaks?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    If morals played a part in Bush being elected for another term then I hope this ruins their chances this time. Here are a few other things that bug me about McCain's choice in VP.

When she was recently asked about her chances of being offered the VP position she replied, "As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?" There are so many things wrong with this woman which makes me even more determined to vote for Obama in hopes of avoiding even more damage and bad publicity for our country. She also backs the Alaska Independence Party and they want to separate Alaska from the US which is going to destroy McCain's "Country First" thing.

I watched some of the Republican Convention last night and couldn't believe how glassy eyed and easily persuaded a lot of those people appeared to be in the crowd.

Do you want this woman running our country if McCain croaks?
    Well, I certainly don't want John McCain or Barack Obama running it. :steam: I wouldn't be comfortable with her as POTUS, but I haven't been comfortable with 90% of the politicians we've had in Washington my whole life. Also, your avatar actually makes me kinda like this woman. Rifles and bikinis are big positives in my book.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The problem is that pro-life people tend to start building premises on the concept of preserving life, so it's not longer just about the word.
    I think you're confusing rhetoric with argument. "pro-life" is not the premise. It's rhetoric. There's rhetoric on every side of every debate. When people say "pro-life" they mean "anti-induced abortion". When people say "pro-choice" they mean "the life of the fetus is less important than the choice of the mother". Pro-lifers don't build on the premise of preserving life. The premise would have to be their fundamental belief, and as evidenced by the fact that many of them don't care if they step on a bug or support the death penalty, the vague "preserving life" is not the premise. They build on the premise that a fetus should be given the same opportunity to live as a newborn baby.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think you're confusing rhetoric with argument. "pro-life" is not the premise. It's rhetoric. There's rhetoric on every side of every debate. When people say "pro-life" they mean "anti-induced abortion". When people say "pro-choice" they mean "the life of the fetus is less important than the choice of the mother". Pro-lifers don't build on the premise of preserving life. The premise would have to be their fundamental belief, and as evidenced by the fact that many of them don't care if they step on a bug or support the death penalty, the vague "preserving life" is not the premise. They build on the premise that a fetus should be given the same opportunity to live as a newborn baby.
    Nice post.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis