User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 198

  1. #31
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If Democrats pick up seats this term, which they most likely will, it could definitely pass in congress. Dems want to keep getting re-elected and their constituents want universal health care.
    Hmmm, perhaps - I always wondered how the switch would be implemented? What would happen to all the people who work for HMOs? Heh. Or how would the financial switch occur? HOW does he want to implement it - that's the interesting thing. America has to basically BUILD a new system.

    And what makes you all so sure that the government is efficient at such things??? Hell, it can't even balance a budget, win a war, or maintain social security for heaven's sake!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Heh, also the people who WANT to get rich or WANT to get rid of the really shitty bureaucratic burdens. Have to agree with you on that.

    Germany is experiencing a HUGE 'brain drain' as a result of this problem. HUGE. German students are taking advantage of the cheap education here and then going off to Canada or USA to start their own businesses or expand their education to get better chances of getting jobs without being taxed to the hilt.

    Think about this folks, really - think about it rationally and seriously. Not just the short-term benefits, but also the long-term consequences.
    That's why socialism and communism only work if the whole world is tied to the same system. Marx said that, but people only remember what they want to about his writing, methinks.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    481

    Default

    WAAAH WE RICH GET TAXED TOO MUCH WAAAH.

    Oh cry me a river. Those taxes won't cause them to lose that multi-million dollar penthouse, or be no longer able to afford that private jet or the five-star restaurants, the bazillion-karat jewelry, or whatever else the rich do with those mountains of cash they get (I can't even imagine it).

    Yes, you shouldn't be punished for doing well, HOWEVER: the notion that trickle-down economics works is a FANTASY. A bunch of

    "bureaucrats, with their steak lunches, their corporate jets, their hunting and fishing trips, and their golden parachutes" (--Gordon Gekko)

    are NOT the most efficient target of tax breaks!

    If you make a ton more money, then you should also pay more taxes. The end.

    Obama '08!
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

  4. #34
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Did you know that residents of the state of New York already have a cumulative tax rate higher than any European nation? Probably not. But you advocate raising those taxes even higher.

    Newsflash. The US is not Europe. We're much larger and far more diverse than any single European nation. Programs in tiny European nations like Denmark won't necessarily produce the same results in the US.
    I'm advocated raising it on the wealthy and lowering it for the low and middle class. There certainly isn't any shortage or rich people in NY despite the high taxes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Right, food distribution also costs money. The government will be more efficient at that as well, right?
    They can't distribute food to everyone on their own (because they won't do it for free) which is why people turn to food stamps. On health care, the market will never deliver to everyone, only universal health care can.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    WAAAH WE RICH GET TAXED TOO MUCH WAAAH.

    Oh cry me a river. Those taxes won't cause them to lose that multi-million dollar penthouse, or be no longer able to afford that private jet or the five-star restaurants, the bazillion-karat jewelry, or whatever else the rich do with those mountains of cash they get (I can't even imagine it).

    Yes, you shouldn't be punished for doing well, HOWEVER: the notion that trickle-down economics works is a FANTASY. A bunch of

    "bureaucrats, with their steak lunches, their corporate jets, their hunting and fishing trips, and their golden parachutes" (--Gordon Gekko)

    are NOT the most efficient target of tax breaks!

    If you make a ton more money, then you should also pay more taxes. The end.

    Obama '08!
    They do pay more taxes.

  6. #36
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    That's why socialism and communism only work if the whole world is tied to the same system. Marx said that, but people only remember what they want to about his writing, methinks.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    WAAAH WE RICH GET TAXED TOO MUCH WAAAH.

    Oh cry me a river. Those taxes won't cause them to lose that multi-million dollar penthouse, or be no longer able to afford that private jet or the five-star restaurants, the bazillion-karat jewelry, or whatever else the rich do with those mountains of cash they get (I can't even imagine it).

    Yes, you shouldn't be punished for doing well, HOWEVER: the notion that trickle-down economics works is a FANTASY. A bunch of

    "bureaucrats, with their steak lunches, their corporate jets, their hunting and fishing trips, and their golden parachutes" (--Gordon Gekko)

    are NOT the most efficient target of tax breaks!

    If you make a ton more money, then you should also pay more taxes. The end.

    Obama '08!
    Oh hush, now, be calm.

    We never said we agreed with trickle-down economics; we never said we liked McCain; we never said we did not agree with a progressive tax system where the rich are taxed more than the middle-class. We said that the things that Obama wants to implement are not feasible because they are just difficult to implement, both in terms of structure and finance. We don't need pie-in-the-sky ideas; we NEED solutions. And you cannot say that you promise change but construct that change in such a way that it could never work and then bitch to your constituency that you tried but Congress did not work with you and blahblahblah when it is all just a big farce. THAT is what we said.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  7. #37
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    And what makes you all so sure that the government is efficient at such things??? Hell, it can't even balance a budget, win a war, or maintain social security for heaven's sake!!!
    Government is the only option when universal health care is concerned. If they can get someone to the moon, they can provide health care. Canada and Europe does it, why can't we?

  8. #38
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm advocated raising it on the wealthy and lowering it for the low and middle class. There certainly isn't any shortage or rich people in NY despite the high taxes.
    You obviously didn't understand my response.

    They can't distribute food to everyone on their own (because they won't do it for free) which is why people turn to food stamps. On health care, the market will never deliver to everyone, only universal health care can.
    Your previous argument was that government is more efficient. Your argument has changed, unless you're completely redefining the term efficiency.

  9. #39
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    We said that the things that Obama wants to implement are not feasible because they are just difficult to implement, both in terms of structure and finance. We don't need pie-in-the-sky ideas; we NEED solutions.
    Obama made 29 specific policy promises in his last speech. As we get closer to the election, he is getting more and more specific about actual policy, McCain better follow soon.

  10. #40
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You obviously didn't understand my response.


    Your previous argument was that government is more efficient. Your argument has changed, unless you're completely redefining the term efficiency.
    You're really reachin now. Government would be more efficient at universal health care than the market, because the market won't do it. They are the only option.

Similar Threads

  1. Which Philosopher Do You Dislike the Most?
    By logan235711 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 08-02-2017, 11:14 PM
  2. Received my books, CTC/SP ;) do the math heh.
    By INFtha14 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 07:41 AM
  3. Doing the math to undesrstand the science...
    By ygolo in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2008, 12:37 PM
  4. [SJ] What do SJ's look for in a partner? Crush? You get the drift --
    By CzeCze in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO