User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I have it on good authority that he's a BLEEDIN COMMUNIST /rantriffic
    It's a Chinese conspiracy!!!!!!!

Nah, I'm just kidding and bein' weird to lighten the mood a bit.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Nah, I'm just kidding and bein' weird to lighten the mood a bit.
    Are you trying to edge in on my speciality?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    But I thought the rich had all the money. You said they had 95% of it. So what good would a small fraction of 5% do?

Your circular logic is based on a flawed assumption, that government can be as efficient as the market. It cannot.
    It would become more than 5% if the rich were taxed more. Countries with high progressive taxes do fine economically (northern europe).

And the market cannot efficiently deliver medical care to everyone, because it costs money. So naturally the government will be more efficient at deliver health care to everyone, which is the goal we are talking about.

MBTI
    xNFP

Are you trying to edge in on my speciality?
    Awwww hon There now - feel betta???

If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It would become more than 5% if the rich were taxed more. Countries with high progressive taxes do fine economically (northern europe).
    But the rich in countries with more socialized economies move to the USA every chance they get.

MBTI
    INTP

But the rich in countries with more socialized economies move to the USA every chance they get.
    Well naturally, we have a huge economy and they want to expand. And those countries are doing just fine with some of their rich moving away.

MBTI
    xNFP

And the market cannot efficiently deliver medical care to everyone, because it costs money. So naturally the government will be more efficient at deliver health care to everyone, which is the goal we are talking about.
    I'm not questioning the fact that it would or wouldn't work. I'm questioning whether it will be accepted by Congress. I can't imagine executive powers would cover this area even after the increase in executive authority.

Not only that - but Germany is having a REALLY hard time managing its social benefits even with extremely high taxes due to our demographical dilemma. Trust me - that's a whole bowl of wax you may want to analyze a bit more before you have a definitive opinion.

Even so - okay, America probably has a hell of a lot more really wealthy people than Germany, for example. However, that does not mean that the government will necessarily operate more efficiently. Take Germany, for example. Our system is RIDDEN - positively RIDDEN - with bureaucracy and red tape - and MOST of it is due to all these benefits, people trying to take advantage of those benefits, and government trying to remedy the mistakes caused by these benefits. *sigh* So with great governmental influence comes a great price.

Are Americans really willing to pay this big of a price???

With their past history and culture, I cannot imagine that they would. It won't pass. Trust me. Too bad, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that these issues won't get through.

MBTI
    xNFP

Heh, also the people who WANT to get rich or WANT to get rid of the really shitty bureaucratic burdens. Have to agree with you on that.

Germany is experiencing a HUGE 'brain drain' as a result of this problem. HUGE. German students are taking advantage of the cheap education here and then going off to Canada or USA to start their own businesses or expand their education to get better chances of getting jobs without being taxed to the hilt.

Think about this folks, really - think about it rationally and seriously. Not just the short-term benefits, but also the long-term consequences.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I'm not questioning the fact that it would or wouldn't work. I'm questioning whether it will be accepted by Congress. I can't imagine executive powers would cover this area even after the increase in executive authority.

Not only that - but Germany is having a REALLY hard time managing its social benefits even with extremely high taxes due to our demographical dilemma. Trust me - that's a whole bowl of wax you may want to analyze a bit more before you have a definitive opinion.

Even so - okay, America probably has a hell of a lot more really wealthy people than Germany, for example. However, that does not mean that the government will necessarily operate more efficiently. Take Germany, for example. Our system is RIDDEN - positively RIDDEN - with bureaucracy and red tape - and MOST of it is due to all these benefits, people trying to take advantage of those benefits, and government trying to remedy the mistakes caused by these benefits. *sigh* So with great governmental influence comes a great price.

Are Americans really willing to pay this big of a price???

With their past history and culture, I cannot imagine that they would. It won't pass. Trust me. Too bad, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that these issues won't get through.
    If Democrats pick up seats this term, which they most likely will, it could definitely pass in congress. Dems want to keep getting re-elected and their constituents want universal health care.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Did you know that residents of the state of New York already have a cumulative tax rate higher than any European nation? Probably not. But you advocate raising those taxes even higher.

Newsflash. The US is not Europe. We're much larger and far more diverse than any single European nation. Programs in tiny European nations like Denmark won't necessarily produce the same results in the US.

Right, food distribution also costs money. The government will be more efficient at that as well, right?