User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you support?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • "In God We Trust" on our currency

3 6.98%
  • "One Nation Under God" in our Pledge of Allegiance

0 0%
  • Both

7 16.28%
  • Neither

33 76.74%
First 7891011 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I support both references to God, and would also support the "We love tacos" addition.
    Behold the one true God!

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    "Far from being rivals or enemies, religion and law are twin sisters, friends, and mutual assistants. Indeed, these two sciences run into each other. The divine law, as discovered by reason and the moral sense, forms an essential part of both."
    --James Wilson, signer of the Declaration of Independence and future Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, 1791

Such attitudes are found throughout much of the writings of the founding fathers.
    Right, no one is refuting that.

We just happen to disagree with the sentiment.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    We just happen to disagree with the sentiment.
    Ok what's the sentiment?

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Behold the one true God!

I need some strawberry ice-cream poop please

Sniffles

Well I guess Didums and sasquatch have forever exploded the notion of INTPs being about pure logic.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Ok what's the sentiment?
    I'm not playing a game of comparing interpretations of what was said hundreds of years ago; the quote was pretty self-explanatory. I don't think that God has any rightful place in the forces that govern me.

Sniffles

I don't think that God has any rightful place in the forces that govern me.
    I disagree. A just government and set of laws has to have a firm foundation built upon eternal values - which of course derive from the divine. Only by upholding a value higher than the state can you effectively keep the state in check. Otherwise, the state becomes the ultimate authority on everything.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I disagree. A just government and set of laws has to have a firm foundation built upon eternal values - which of course derive from the divine. Only by upholding a value higher than the state can you effectively keep the state in check. Otherwise, the state becomes the ultimate authority on everything.
    A just government should work to realize the best interests of those it serves. If I, as a citizen of the United States, am not Christian, how does governing me by Christian values serve my best interest?

Sniffles

A just government should work to realize the best interests of those it serves.
    That's an assumption based upon the concept of soverignty. But it's too late for me to into details about that.

If I, as a citizen of the United States, am not Christian, how does governing me by Christian values serve my best interest?
    First, Christian social theory has the concept of the common good at its basis. St. Thomas Aquinas particularly dealt with this to great lengths, even stating that the state's primary task is to provide for the common good. By the precepts of natural law(which comes from God), the state is obligated to operate in the best interests of its people.

Second, from the Christian perspective faith is a matter of the will. So therefore it's not the state's job to force people to accept the Christian faith, for that violates their free will before God. Again, St. Thomas Aquinas outlined the basic principles of religious freedom back in the 13th century.

And his legacy was carried forth in the 20th century by Jacques Maritain, who gave great outlines for Christian political theory.

As I said, it's a little too late for me to get into details here, but if you wish I can elaborate further.

MBTI
    ENFJ

So therefore it's not the state's job to force people to accept the Christian faith, for that violates their free will before God.
    Yeah. So why is God's name on the currency I use, and why am I expected to say "under God" when I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States?