User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you support?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • "In God We Trust" on our currency

    3 6.98%
  • "One Nation Under God" in our Pledge of Allegiance

    0 0%
  • Both

    7 16.28%
  • Neither

    33 76.74%
First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 151

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I support both references to God, and would also support the "We love tacos" addition.
    Behold the one true God!


  2. #82
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    "Far from being rivals or enemies, religion and law are twin sisters, friends, and mutual assistants. Indeed, these two sciences run into each other. The divine law, as discovered by reason and the moral sense, forms an essential part of both."
    --James Wilson, signer of the Declaration of Independence and future Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, 1791


    Such attitudes are found throughout much of the writings of the founding fathers.
    Right, no one is refuting that.

    We just happen to disagree with the sentiment.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  3. #83
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    We just happen to disagree with the sentiment.
    Ok what's the sentiment?

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Behold the one true God!

    I need some strawberry ice-cream poop please

  5. #85
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Well I guess Didums and sasquatch have forever exploded the notion of INTPs being about pure logic.

  6. #86
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Ok what's the sentiment?
    I'm not playing a game of comparing interpretations of what was said hundreds of years ago; the quote was pretty self-explanatory. I don't think that God has any rightful place in the forces that govern me.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  7. #87
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I don't think that God has any rightful place in the forces that govern me.
    I disagree. A just government and set of laws has to have a firm foundation built upon eternal values - which of course derive from the divine. Only by upholding a value higher than the state can you effectively keep the state in check. Otherwise, the state becomes the ultimate authority on everything.

  8. #88
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I disagree. A just government and set of laws has to have a firm foundation built upon eternal values - which of course derive from the divine. Only by upholding a value higher than the state can you effectively keep the state in check. Otherwise, the state becomes the ultimate authority on everything.
    A just government should work to realize the best interests of those it serves. If I, as a citizen of the United States, am not Christian, how does governing me by Christian values serve my best interest?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  9. #89
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    A just government should work to realize the best interests of those it serves.
    That's an assumption based upon the concept of soverignty. But it's too late for me to into details about that.

    If I, as a citizen of the United States, am not Christian, how does governing me by Christian values serve my best interest?
    First, Christian social theory has the concept of the common good at its basis. St. Thomas Aquinas particularly dealt with this to great lengths, even stating that the state's primary task is to provide for the common good. By the precepts of natural law(which comes from God), the state is obligated to operate in the best interests of its people.

    Second, from the Christian perspective faith is a matter of the will. So therefore it's not the state's job to force people to accept the Christian faith, for that violates their free will before God. Again, St. Thomas Aquinas outlined the basic principles of religious freedom back in the 13th century.

    And his legacy was carried forth in the 20th century by Jacques Maritain, who gave great outlines for Christian political theory.

    As I said, it's a little too late for me to get into details here, but if you wish I can elaborate further.

  10. #90
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So therefore it's not the state's job to force people to accept the Christian faith, for that violates their free will before God.
    Yeah. So why is God's name on the currency I use, and why am I expected to say "under God" when I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI type and belief in god
    By TSDesigner in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 385
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 12:39 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
  3. "In God We Trust"?
    By Ginkgo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 02:48 PM
  4. Pick up groups in MMORPGs (or just WoW and guild wars)
    By Zergling in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 01:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO