User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you support?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • "In God We Trust" on our currency

3 6.98%
  • "One Nation Under God" in our Pledge of Allegiance

0 0%
  • Both

7 16.28%
  • Neither

33 76.74%
First 123412 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    But if everyone loved tacos when the nation was founded, wouldn't it make you feel good to reminisce? "Those were the days!"
    Not an imaginary evil magic taco.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    Okay, U.S. currency to be precise. It sounds like yours has a similar problem, though.
    Why is it a 'problem'? In order for it to be a problem, doesn't there have to be some sort of identifiable negative effect on society? I see no negative effect other than a bunch of whiny pansies getting their panties all bunched up over a phrase. And to me, that's not a problem. There are whiny pansies everywhere, bitching about every little thing you can imagine.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Neither. If you want God in your government go to Iran or Saudi Arabia.
    What kind of bullshit argument is this? Our system of government and the legal philosophy upon which its based has religious underpinnings at its origins, dating to Anglo-Saxon common law. Our system of government was modelled after the form of the Presybertarian churches.

So the terms "In God we trust" and "One nation under God" are perfectly acceptable and 100% American.

Neither, I don't think they're necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What kind of bullshit argument is this? Our system of government and the legal philosophy upon which its based has religious underpinnings at its origins, dating to Anglo-Saxon common law. Our system of government was modelled after the form of the Presybertarian churches.

So the terms "In God we trust" and "One nation under God" are perfectly acceptable and 100% American.
    I don't care. I don't want the state to make deference to anyone's imaginary friend in any way.

Sniffles

I don't care. I don't want the state to make deference to anyone's imaginary friend in any way.
    Then go to North Korea or Cuba, where the state is officially atheist.

Then go to North Korea or Cuba, where the state is officially atheist.
    Pfft. There's plenty of divinity crap in Lil' Kim's personality cult and communism is about as retarded as religion. I'd prefer a secular democracy.

Sniffles

I'd prefer a secular democracy.
    That's an oxymoron. Besides even "secular" democracy relies heavily upon what is commonly referred to as "civil religion".

And if you eliminate God and religion, then by default the state is the determinator of ultimate truth - which leads to shit like "Enlightened absolutism" of the 18th century or 20th century totalitarianism.

So dance around it as much as you like it, religious-like sentiments and beliefs underplay in any legal system.

That's an oxymoron. Besides even "secular" democracy relies heavily upon 2what is commonly referred to as "civil religion".

And if you eliminate God and religion, then by default the state is the determinator of ultimate truth - which leads to shit like "Enlightened absolutism" of the 18th century or 20th century totalitarianism.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Pfft. There's plenty of divinity crap in Lil' Kim's personality cult and communism is about as retarded as religion. I'd prefer a secular democracy.
    You can't really have a true "secular democracy" in a majority-religious nation that has a Free Exercise clause in its Constitution.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"