User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you support?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • "In God We Trust" on our currency

3 6.98%
  • "One Nation Under God" in our Pledge of Allegiance

0 0%
  • Both

7 16.28%
  • Neither

33 76.74%
First 513141516 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    The world is so good now, for so many more people than it ever has been, that....Just be happy, for Christ's sake.
    This is what I don't get. It seems many people here say that nothing should be made of the currency issue and the Pledge of Allegiance because they are not terribly destructive as they are. What about basic principle? Isn't that a reason in itself? Don't we care about our separation of church and state?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of York View Post
    This is what I don't get. It seems many people here say that nothing should be made of the currency issue and the Pledge of Allegiance because they are not terribly destructive as they are. What about basic principle? Isn't that a reason in itself? Don't we care about our separation of church and state?
    I cared a lot more about that shite ten years ago. It's superfluous. Economics is what changes minds.

I'd rather not spend money on changing how money looks (funny eh), however if we ever change to like, that flimsy plasticy dollar that other countries have then we should just leave "in God we trust" out of it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Our currency?

Mine says "ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA FIDEI DEFENSOR" or if your latin is rusty, "Elizabeth II, by the grace of God, Queen and Defender of the Faith"
    My currency says: From the country that brought you the film version of Lord of the Rings.

But we're simple people, we don't have much else.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    My currency says: From the country that brought you the film version of Lord of the Rings.

But we're simple people, we don't have much else.
    It seriously says that? What was on the currency before LOTR was made?

MBTI
    INTP

It seriously says that? What was on the currency before LOTR was made?
    It used to say, "Remember Bill Hamilton? The guy who developed the modern jetboat? Salt of the earth true blue kiwi he was."
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm finding it hard to believe. But in terms of which I support? Neither. Not that I actively dislike them, but I'm not a religious guy. So I don't care for them.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    ENFJ

So I've had a change of heart.

The Israeli flag crossed my thoughts and I sort of compared the Star of David on the Israeli flag to "In God We Trust" being on the dollar bill.

Israel is a free country, the practice is freedom of religion. The Star does represent how the country is for the time being, but is more a symbol of it's conception. Israel is inextricably linked to Judaism.

The same can be said of Christianity being a major influence on Western thought; before, during and after the formation of the United States. So "In God We Trust" is not meant to imply that one must agree with this sentiment on a personal level, but is a representation of where we came from as a nation.

It sort of seems as though this is something of a paradox though. The population of the United States refer to each other collectively as the American people (as European nations will refer to themselves and other nations as the British people or the German people or the French People), but Americans referring to each other as a whole seems to be less nationalistic than when Europeans talk about their country or their people. Culturally, they're much more tightly knit.

I still don't support "one nation under God", however.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ISTP

It's true, from a matter of principle, it's wrong. However, there are better uses my ammo than a couple meaningless words. It's on the list of things I'd like changed, but it's pretty far down the list. Also, fighting for that would be a very divisive issue as far as public opinion goes, which would most likely increase the backlash against fighting against more important libertarian/atheist type causes.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    So I've had a change of heart.

The Israeli flag crossed my thoughts and I sort of compared the Star of David on the Israeli flag to "In God We Trust" being on the dollar bill.

Israel is a free country, the practice is freedom of religion. The Star does represent how the country is for the time being, but is more a symbol of it's conception. Israel is inextricably linked to Judaism.

The same can be said of Christianity being a major influence on Western thought; before, during and after the formation of the United States. So "In God We Trust" is not meant to imply that one must agree with this sentiment on a personal level, but is a representation of where we came from as a nation.

It sort of seems as though this is something of a paradox though. The population of the United States refer to each other collectively as the American people (as European nations will refer to themselves and other nations as the British people or the German people or the French People), but Americans referring to each other as a whole seems to be less nationalistic than when Europeans talk about their country or their people. Culturally, they're much more tightly knit.

I still don't support "one nation under God", however.
    This is a bit off topic, but...

Referring to Americans as the "American people" is a relatively new concept. Even well after the Constitution was signed, people referred to themselves as the people of New York, the people of Virginia, or whatever state they were from. Original drafts of the Constitution had, instead of "We the people of the United States", "We the people of Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina..." in the preamble, but it was changed because they weren't sure that all 13 states would ratify it. The civil war changed all of that.