User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you support?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • "In God We Trust" on our currency

3 6.98%
  • "One Nation Under God" in our Pledge of Allegiance

0 0%
  • Both

7 16.28%
  • Neither

33 76.74%
First 31112131415 Last

I appreciate both of them and would be disappointed if they were removed. There were dozens of contradictions, though, when the constitution was written. Take George Washington owning slaves, for example, and believing that all men were created equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    Well, considering that the first amendment is all about separation of church and state, I have to doubt that its founders had a Christian agenda in mind when coming up with how they wanted their country ran.
    I'll go easy on you since you're Canadian. The first amendment doesn't say anything about a separation of church and state. That doctrine is not actually part of the law. It's a philosophy proposed by Thomas Jefferson based on his interpretation of the first amendment (which didn't become popular until well after the Civil war).

When the US was formed, many of the states had their own state religions. Massachusetts was Puritan, Pennsylvania was Quaker, and so on. The purpose for the first amendment was to keep the federal government from forcing Massachusetts to become Quaker if the Quakers were able to seize federal power, and vica versa. The individual states also had lots of religious laws on the books, and they were constitutional (otherwise those states wouldn't have ratified the constitution).

So when you consider the purpose of the founding fathers, keep this in mind.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Okay. But... I don't care.
    And I don't care that you don't care. Perhaps that's your problem, you can't think outside of yourself and your own preferences - to the point you don't even care about the very foundations of your own country.

Shall I start quoting James Madison, president of the United States, Christian who talked about tyranny of the majority?
    No need, Tocqueville addresses much on this issue as well.

I understand that most people in the country are Christian. The government and its domains are not.
    So in other words, the government shouldn't represent the American people in your view. Then again, you just admitted to not giving a rats' ass about the foundations for this country.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'll go easy on you since you're Canadian. The first amendment doesn't say anything about a separation of church and state. That doctrine is not actually part of the law. It's a philosophy proposed by Thomas Jefferson based on his interpretation of the first amendment.

When the US was formed, many of the states had their own religions. Massachusetts was Puritan, Pennsylvania was Quaker, and so on. The purpose for the first amendment was to keep the federal government from forcing Massachusetts to become Quaker if the Quakers were able to seize federal power, and vica versa. The individual states also had lots of religious laws on the books, and they were constitutional (otherwise those states wouldn't have ratified the constitution).

So when you consider the purpose of the founding fathers, keep this in mind.

Thank you. Have some rep.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So in other words, the government shouldn't represent the American people in your view.
    I don't think that "Christmas/Easter Christian" really counts :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ

And I don't care that you don't care. Perhaps that's your problem, you can't think outside of yourself and your own preferences - to the point you don't even care about the very foundations of your own country.
    Or perhaps I just am able to draw a distinction between a comprehensive history of American culture and money.
    So in other words, the government shouldn't represent the American people in your view.
    See above.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Or perhaps I just am able to draw a distinction between a comprehensive history of American culture and money.
    You're the one making a big fucking deal about the dollar bill, not me. Im more interested in the faulty logic behind arguments against it being on the bill.

Some of you people are talking as if the words "In God We trust" somehow establishes a theocracy where non-Christians have their eyes poked out with hot iron rods, and stupid bullshit like that.

You claim it's really nothing. Ok then why bitch so much about it? Well why can't they just change it? Perhaps because it would cost too much money than what it's really worth. Do you want extra tax dollars thrown in to change the dollar bill, just to satisfy some self-centered inclination on your part?

You're the one making a big fucking deal about the dollar bill, not me. Im more interested in the faulty logic behind arguments against it being on the bill.
    You're confusing the burden of proof. Money and Religion themselves are completely different subjects, why then put "in god we trust" on our Money? I don't care that it is but I'm just curious. I think that psychologically it goes something along the lines of "god is responsible for our prosperity".

MBTI
    ENFJ

I'm not making a big deal. I said twice that there's nothing drastic about "In God We Trust" being on the dollar bill, I would just prefer that it not be there. I don't need a lecture on U.S. history or the fact that the United States is mostly Christian, as if I hadn't noticed. I disagree with you that that is sufficient reason to have it on the dollar bill. There's not much else to be said.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*gasps with horror*

is it sacrelige whenever a dollar bill is stuffed in a hooker's g-string?!?!?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett