User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    They don't have the right to. They obviously have the power to, since they do.
    I suppose I should have been more specific. The Constitution doesn't grant that power. The federal government usurped that power, unconstitutionally.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    But if the federal government funds public education (as it does), teaching religion WOULD be unconstitutional.
    The funding is what is unconstitutional. With this logic, the government could fund whatever it wants, then use that as a means of control. And that is exactly what it does.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The funding is what is unconstitutional. With this logic, the government could fund whatever it wants, then use that as a means of control. And that is exactly what it does.
    The funding AND the teaching of religion would be both be unconstitutional. Unfortunately, the Interstate Commerce Clause and various Supreme Court decisions, the feds have overstepped their boundaries. Still, teaching religion with federal money is EXPLICITLY unconstitutional. It should never happen.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm amused by how transparent the balancing act is.

Obama picks a really typically presidental kind of guy, who's an old veteran of Washington. McCain picks a young chick who's a new-comer and an outsider.

It almost seems like they're trying too hard, you know?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It almost seems like they're trying too hard, you know?
    Yea its sad, and its going to completely backfire too lol.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Yea its sad, and its going to completely backfire too lol.
    Well, if they're both going for a strategy that will backfire, then it's an even match. The winner is the one that suffers the least reprecussions.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Getting back on topic...

THEY'RE CYLONS!!1

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    There is actually nothing unconstitutional about having religion taught in public schools, not that I advocate it.
    I absolutely love religion taught in public schools. As an elective. I absolutely love religious texts being read in school. As literature.

I remember in my 10th grade honors English class, we read the creation stories from both the Bible and the Koran. It was in our textbook. (We had a different text than non-honors students.)

It was, IME, a good thing.

Religion exists. It shouldn't be ignored or denied, but it should not be government regulated. *shrugs* And I think that's the whole point of the Constitutional separation of church and state.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTJ

Isn't religion a subject in the US? It is here... It's basically about learning about different religions, which is important in developing understanding for each other. What is wrong with that?
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amadé Mozart

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Isn't religion a subject in the US? It is here... It's basically about learning about different religions, which is important in developing understanding for each other. What is wrong with that?
    Comparative religion isn't a subject that is available in public schools afaik. It private and post-secondary schools, it comes up more frequently. Nothing is *wrong* with that being a subject, but there is a fear among the non-Christians and the ACLU-ers that it will become 55 minutes/day of promoting Christianity in a classroom.

And that would be the case if the wrong teacher were to run the class.

(Example: My psych teacher [or his wife my English teacher] would have done fine teaching it. They were awesome about not projecting their own biases because they wanted everything to be open for debate/discussion. My journalism teacher would probably not have been the greatest for teaching a class that had anything to do with religion, as he was a Seminary student working towards the priesthood before he became a teacher, and his very Catholic stance came through enough to be of potential influence.)
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird