User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Most likely, if all drugs became legal, there would certainly be a ban on advertising and probably on public use as well.

Your argument about heroin addicts seems like an extreme to me. The legality or illegality of drugs doesn't matter when people are searching for a way to escape reality. I do agree that there would be more addicts if drugs were legalized, but I also think that if we were living in culture that promoted treatment over punishment then addicts would at least have a chance to get clean.

Most of them probably wouldn't . . . which is why I support decriminalization and not legalization (although for pot, I say legalize it).
    Companies will always find a way to market their products, and of course legality effects what drugs people choose to use. Legal drugs you can buy in a store, most people would never think of finding a drug dealer and are law abiding citizens.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    Nope, but alcohol being decriminalized sure does. People who are of age that drink socially drink socially without fear of legal repercussions. People who are interested in the whole social taboo of doing something forbidden? Meh, alcohol is legal, so it's not so attractive.

The exception to this being university students binge drinking, and that's largely because drinking for roughly 75% of them is still illegal. But if the drinking age were lowered, I'd bet that puking your brains out from a hangover on Saturday morning would be less attractive to them, too.

But for the decriminalization thing, start small. Legalize and regulate pot, first. Go for the grand social experiment.
    The exception being university students, high school students, blue collar workers, white collar workers...basically any social group. It's a very attractive and popular drug, despite it being legal, of course.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Companies will always find a way to market their products, and of course legality effects what drugs people choose to use. Legal drugs you can buy in a store, most people would never think of finding a drug dealer and are law abiding citizens.
    WRONG! More than 50% of 12th-grades in the United States have tried marijuana in their lifetimes. Most people have, at some point, gotten an illegal drug and used it. This is not counting cocaine, illegal use of prescription drugs, and underage drinking. Have you EVER, in your life, met someone who has said, "You know, if only crack were legal, I'd love to smoke it. . ." I don't think you've thought this issue through.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    WRONG! More than 50% of 12th-grades in the United States have tried marijuana in their lifetimes. Most people have, at some point, gotten an illegal drug and used it. This is not counting cocaine, illegal use of prescription drugs, and underage drinking. Have you EVER, in your life, met someone who has said, "You know, if only crack were legal, I'd love to smoke it. . ." I don't think you've thought this issue through.
    Kids are different that adults. Adults with jobs are less likely to know dealers or potheads.

And most of the kids who tried it were at some party and one of their friends had it, they aren't regular smokers calling up their dealers everyday for the most part.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Kids are different that adults. Adults with jobs are less likely to know dealers or potheads.

And most of the kids who tried it were at some party and one of their friends had it, they aren't regular smokers calling up their dealers everyday for the most part.
    I don't think you have even the slightest understanding of human nature.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think you have even the slightest understanding of human nature.
    Could you be more specific? What that I said do you think is wrong? I thought what I said is clearly apparent to most people.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Huh? At every place that I've ever worked, there's been at least one stoner. If you think that a lawyer or an accountant can't readily get their hands on some illegal drug, you're not paying attention.

Chances are good that you do know one drug user or dealer in passing, and just don't realize it. It's not like they wear signs.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    xNTJ

Could you be more specific? What that I said do you think is wrong? I thought what I said is clearly apparent to most people.
    What you think is apparent, but it doesn't back what is a reality. *shrugs*

People who want to do drugs will do them, regardless of legality. People who don't want to do drugs won't do them, regardless of legality. All that the legal status will impact is cost (due to sentencing users, attempting to crush the black market, and the crimes that are committed due to people trying to get the money to support that black market) and revenue (due to the ability to tax and regulate the industry).
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    What you think is apparent, but it doesn't back what is a reality. *shrugs*
    Name at least one of my statements in that post which don't match up with reality.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Name at least one of my statements in that post which don't match up with reality.
    Here you go:

Adults with jobs are less likely to know dealers or potheads.