User Tag List

First 34567 Last

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Hard drugs are new. Alcohol has been around forever, heroin was first synthesized in 1874 and has never been as popular as alcohol.

It's ignorant to treat all drugs the same.
    I wasn't talking about heroine. I was talking about hard drugs in general. They've been around a lot longer than you think.

Officially, both alcohol and nicotine are considered hard drugs.

And obviously nothing has ever been as popular as alcohol or nicotine, so why then are you worried about an epidemic? lol

And even if there was one, who cares? As long as they're not hurting others in the process, I sure don't.

To me, it would be the same as hearing about the obesity crisis.

Edit: And I believe I mentioned that the harder the drug is, the stricter the regulations should be.

Militant teetotalers are bad for society, we should ban them.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Militant teetotalers are bad for society, we should ban them.
    Sass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    I wasn't talking about heroine. I was talking about hard drugs in general. They've been around a lot longer than you think.

Officially, both alcohol and nicotine are considered hard drugs.

And obviously nothing has ever been as popular as alcohol or nicotine, so why then are you worried about an epidemic? lol
    Drugs like heroin have never been as popular because of societies legal and moral stance on them, this would obviously change if we legalized it. China had an opium epidemic, they even fought a war over it. Heroin is stronger, it would be stupid to make it legal, even with regulations.

ByMySword

Cool

Drugs like heroin have never been as popular because of societies legal and moral stance on them, this would obviously change if we legalized it. China had an opium epidemic, they even fought a war over it. Heroin is stronger, it would be stupid to make it legal, even with regulations.
    It isn't right to tell someone what they can or cannot put in their bodies no matter how strong it is.

I understand your position and I'm inclined to agree, but the simple matter of things is that besides all the other stuff I've been talking about, I still believe that a person may do as they wish as long as they do not infringe on people's rights.

Now concerning a heroin epidemic, who would infringe and who wouldn't is not for us to decide. In any case, I don't think it would be the majority, and hence won't move for a side that would punish everyone because of a few rotten apples.

I share this sentiment on most things.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Heroin is stronger, it would be stupid to make it legal, even with regulations.
    Counterpoint: Illegal street heroin is especially dangerous because the purity can unexpectedly vary.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    It isn't right to tell someone what they can or cannot put in their bodies no matter how strong it is.

I understand your position and I'm inclined to agree, but the simple matter of things is that besides all the other stuff I've been talking about, I still believe that a person may do as they wish as long as they do not infringe on people's rights.

Now concerning a heroin epidemic, who would infringe and who wouldn't is not for us to decide. In any case, I don't think it would be the majority, and hence won't move for a side that would punish everyone because of a few rotten apples.

I share this sentiment on most things.
    I have similar moral beliefs about rights, but I'm just trying to think practically, instead of attaching my abstract moral philosophies onto everything despite what outcome it would produce.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Counterpoint: Illegal street heroin is especially dangerous because the purity can unexpectedly vary.
    It is dangerous, but I don't think anyone is saying "My life would have been so much better if it wasn't for inconsistent heroin purity."

Good point, but I still think the negatives would outweigh the positives of making heroin legal.

With drug prohibition you have the problems that come with drug use plus the associated black market crime. With legal drugs you just have a (possibly slightly bigger) drug problem. Wouldn't the total harm done by legalizing drugs be less than the total harm done by drugs and the black market?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    With drug prohibition you have the problems that come with drug use plus the associated black market crime. With legal drugs you just have a (possibly slightly bigger) drug problem. Wouldn't the total harm done by legalizing drugs be less than the total harm done by drugs and the black market?
    With drugs like heroin, just think about how much more people will try it and become addicted compared to keeping heroin in the back alleys. Prices would drop, availability would skyrocket, there would be 13 year old middle school junkie cliques instead of little pothead groups.

Just imagine what billion dollar marketing firms would do to promote these kinds of drugs. If you think dealers are good at selling heroin just image what real marketing campaigns could do.

But with drugs like alcohol, prohibition is useless.