User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Well, this topic is about drugs, so I don't even want to get off of it talking about my opinion on guns. Suffice to say, I have no problem with assault rifles being legal, so you're example wasn't affective on me.

Basically what I see is making drugs illegal because they can kill someone?

But if someone dies of a drug overdose, it was their choice. Its like saying suicide is illegal, lol. Pretty much a victimless crime, really. As long as drug users aren't infringing on someone else's rights, then I don't care what they do to themselves. Thats up to their families, not the government.

Also, look at it this way. Legalizing drugs will end the illegal drug trade, which in itself will save hundreds of lives by ending the need for the violence so inherent in it.

The DEA would not be entirely useless as they will be used then for regulating drugs. The same with the BATF regulating alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.
    Let's say we legalize hard drugs and then we experience a heroin or meth epidemic. What then? Oh well?

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Let's say we legalize hard drugs and then we experience a heroin or meth epidemic. What then? Oh well?
    You're talking about just letting them do what they please with it. I'm not.

There could be regulations for who can buy it, when, and how much at a time. Regulation is the answer to that issue. Prohibition is not.

I got into a discussion recently about this with a friend at work that said that heroine should be illegal because of pregnant women having heroine babies.

My argument was simple (off the top of my head, mind you. Not completely thought through, but still a pretty good solution):

Then what you do is you have designated places where you can buy it and you must verify that you're of legal age and not pregnant.

He didn't think this would work. He said that heroine addicts that were pregnant would still find a way to get it.

What the hell?

Its completely illegal now and they already are!!! He didn't even think that having a regulation like that would even cut back on it.

MBTI
    INTP

You're talking about just letting them do what they please with it. I'm not.

There could be regulations for who can buy it, when, and how much at a time. Regulation is the answer to that issue. Prohibition is not.

I got into a discussion recently about this with a friend at work that said that heroine should be illegal because of pregnant women having heroine babies.

My argument was simple (off the top of my head, mind you. Not completely thought through, but still a pretty good solution):

Then what you do is you have designated places where you can buy it and you must verify that you're of legal age and not pregnant.

He didn't think this would work. He said that heroine addicts that were pregnant would still find a way to get it.

What the hell?

Its completely illegal now and they already are!!! He didn't even think that having a regulation like that would even cut back on it.
    Does alcohol regulation really do anything to keep people from drinking and becoming alcoholics? Alcohol is nothing compared to hard drugs, and it still ruins lots of lives.

ByMySword

Cool

Does alcohol regulation really do anything to keep people from drinking and becoming alcoholics? Alcohol is nothing compared to hard drugs, and it still ruins lots of lives.
    Stop regulating it and we'll see. What you see now are the results of it being regulated. If it wasn't, it could be even worse. Does that mean we should make alcohol illegal?

Nope, because its already been proven that it doesn't work. Drugs are the same.

And by this rationale, does making heroine illegal really do anything to keep people from becoming heroine addicts?

Making something illegal or wrong or whatever only increases its power. Like curse words. The more you prohibit it, the more people want to do it.

Of course really, if you make softer drugs like cocaine legal, then people for the most part would probably settle for that than doing heroine. So who knows?

The point is that the Drug War is a waste of time and money when we could be making money off of something that is inevitable anyway.

Edit: And to get back to regulations, quick idea. The harder the drug, the stricter the regulations. Is that good? Its all hypothetical anyway, but I think that it could still be plausible.

MBTI
    INTP

Stop regulating it and we'll see. What you see now are the results of it being regulated. If it wasn't, it could be even worse. Does that mean we should make alcohol illegal?

Nope, because its already been proven that it doesn't work. Drugs are the same.
    Drugs aren't the same. Alcohol has been a staple of society and leisure for thousands of years. Hard drugs are relatively new.

And by this rationale, does making heroine illegal really do anything to keep people from becoming heroine addicts?
    It does. The more or less society enables something, the more or less society will do that thing.

Of course really, if you make softer drugs like cocaine legal, then people for the most part would probably settle for that than doing heroine. So who knows?
    Yeah this is a major reason to discriminate between soft and hard drugs. There are more than enough soft drugs around to make anyone content.

ByMySword

Cool

Drugs aren't the same. Alcohol has been a staple of society and leisure for thousands of years. Hard drugs are relatively new.
    Study your history. Hard drugs are not new.

It does. The more or less society enables something, the more or less society will do that thing.
    Once again, the more society tries to repress something, the more powerful it becomes as well.

So you can't say for sure it would. No one can. This is all hypothetical.

Yeah this is a major reason to discriminate between soft and hard drugs. There are more than enough soft drugs around to make anyone content.
    I'm not a hard drug user, so I don't lose anything either way.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

More will try, perhaps, but I have seen evidence (sorry didn't bring with) that abuse problems per capita doesn't change whatever the laws in a relatively free society.

MBTI
    INTP

Study your history. Hard drugs are not new.

Once again, the more society tries to repress something, the more powerful it becomes as well.

So you can't say for sure it would. No one can. This is all hypothetical.

I'm not a hard drug user, so I don't lose anything either way.
    Hard drugs are new. Alcohol has been around forever, heroin was first synthesized in 1874 and has never been as popular as alcohol.

It's ignorant to treat all drugs the same.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    More will try, perhaps, but I have seen evidence (sorry didn't bring with) that abuse problems per capita doesn't change whatever the laws in a relatively free society.
    I've seen stats like in reference to marijuana use in the US compared to the Netherlands, but for hard drugs, they seem to be illegal everywhere, so I don't know where I'd look for stats.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I've seen stats like in reference to marijuana use in the US compared to the Netherlands, but for hard drugs, they seem to be illegal everywhere, so I don't know where I'd look for stats.
    Yeah, I should have specified that I meant historically, at times when drugs were legal, and/or in reference to calling it contraband vs. criminal posession.