User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I would suspect that people are far more likely to respond positively to the emotional appeals of the candidate that they already support. It's a much more effective campaign tool than actually throwing facts and ideas at people. They hate that. The real question is, do we hate that the candidates try to appeal to our emotions, or do we hate that it works on so many people...particularly when used by the opposition candidate.
    Edward Bernays, damn you!

MBTI
    INTJ

Democracy appeals to emotion.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Democracy appeals to emotion.
    Democracy appeals to whatever appeals to the majority of the citizens. If everyone was an NT, emotional appeals would be nearly worthless.

MBTI
    INFP

I find most appeals to emotion by politicians to be manipulative and dishonest, especially if there are other valid reasons for agreement about a point of discussion that just happens to also be an emotional issue because of personal impact. This is not to say that it is wrong for a politician to feel about the issues he discusses. It is wrong to use feeling to manipulate others into poorly-considered reasons for agreement. Authenticity is important, and if I don't feel that I can trust a politician to argue fairly, then I hesitate to consider voting for him, even if he is doing so because of the expectation that it is what will be most effectively convincing to the majority.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Democracy appeals to whatever appeals to the majority of the citizens. If everyone was an NT, emotional appeals would be nearly worthless.
    Indeed. Democracy is simply about appeal. No particular kind of appeal.
    Logos, Ethos, and Pathos. Remember it people!

(Though, I actually think that Ethos is just some varrying mix of Logos and Pathos, so I don't know if Aristotle needed to put that one in there).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Indeed. Democracy is simply about appeal. No particular kind of appeal.
    Logos, Ethos, and Pathos. Remember it people!

(Though, I actually think that Ethos is just some varrying mix of Logos and Pathos, so I don't know if Aristotle needed to put that one in there).
    Ethos is subtle, but important.
    It basically means "reputation."

The speaker/writer needs to answer the question, "why should I even pay attention to you?" very quickly. It needs to be first (unfortunately, I have little clue on how to improve pathos).

Pathos, comming from someone you distrust will ring very, very manupilative. But comming from someone you trust, can eb invigorating.

I recommend two very good books on the subject of persuasion.

How to Speak, How to Listen

and

Why Don't You Want What I Want?

IMO, the two best books on communication I own.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

For me what matters is the purpose of the emotional appeal, and the skill with which the appeal is made is important too. For example my least favorite type of emotional appeal is negative attack ads, because their ultimate goal is to disenfranchise people away from the political process. Healthy criticism should be both accurate and dispassionate, and attack ads are neither. After both sides use them enough times a lot of voters decide both candidates are bad, and then they don't want to vote for either.

An inspiring speech does the opposite though if it is skillfully written and delivered. It makes people want to get more involved into the political process. Most people will not become informed citizens unless they have a motivation to do so in the first place. Therefore an inspiring speech is a healthy emotional appeal, since it will motivate a few people to become more well informed than they would be otherwise.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I don't usually respond as well to the emotional appeal, but I know that a LOT of people do, so I respect that tactic. Even if I do get really, REALLY irritated by Hillary Clinton's pathos-loaded speeches. But that's partially related to the fact that there seems to be a lot of awkwardness in her delivery.

Speaking of that previous mention of pathos: w00t to high school english class! (not really... analyzing things was always a struggle for me... but I did get an A!)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The entire idea of solving questions through majority consent and not through deduction caters to emotionally dominated mindsets.

Were the majority NT then the world probably wouldn't be democratic.
    wails from the crypt.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    Yesterday I was talking with my husband about politics and he said, "the more a politician appeals to emotions the less likely I am to vote for them."

Then he said, "I am probably the only one who feels that way."

I said, "You're wrong, I bet lots of people on the MBTI site would share your feelings on appeals to emotion."

I am not one of those people who enjoys proving other people wrong, but I find myself very curious as to whether my statement is correct.

So how many people out there identify with my husband's strong dislike of appeals to emotion.

Ilah
    Okay, now maybe I'm being an ENFP HEATHEN - but here we go:

Any politician who appeals to emotion WITHOUT SUBSTANCE is awful. If I have a target, I provide clear goals, and I provide the way to implement those goals WHILE using a bit of emotion to get people's attention, okay.

But if I just appeal to people's emotions - positive or negative - to get elected, BAH!!!!!!!! I could just wring these people's neck because that is conniving and manipulative.

So okay, Americans have had eight years of a total moron who has gotten them into more trouble than I can ever remember. (Granted, I'm only 28 - but still). So some guy comes along - he's a great speaker and he promises change. But this change - even though he was rather good in proposing his solutions in his last speech, which was a long time coming - is change that is unlikely to be realistically implemented. He just talks about change, change, change. His speech is full of rhetoric and unrealistic targets.

You know what this reminds me of? The CEO of a company who always gives a pep talk in front of the employees. He knows he's going to push them to the grindstone this year. He knows his business is not doing well. He knows his company might even go bankrupt in the near future. BUT he gives a pep talk speech like we're going to make record profits, be extremely successful, etc. Even the employees know he's talking a bunch of bullshit, but they are so moved by his words or so desperate to keep their jobs that they work their asses off once again to pull it off. Let's hope they manage, but most times, they just declare Chapter 11.

*sigh* The Americans are a desperate people, and I have noticed that when Americans are desperate (like after 9/11) they will throw logic completely out the window to improve the situation. You have already had eight years of some Hauptschüler pulling at your emotions. Now you need a realistic man who provides realistic goals for change. You need a change. But not that change.

The problem: There is NO SUCH MAN. *sigh*

But yeah, look at history. Every time a man has uses the emotions and the negative position of the people, it has led to disaster or to crazy systems that had more long-term problems than benefits. Even if you just look at the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, you can find myriad of examples, and I surely do not have to list them all.

In short, I have no problems with motivational speakers who are great public speakers. But these people should NOT be in positions of LEADERSHIP - UNLESS they have clear, realistic, managable goals and targets. It does not matter what kind of leadership - it could be economic or political leadership, or any other kind of leadership, for that matter. Let the leaders lead and the motivators motivate.

I'm also a motivator, not a leader. I KNOW this - and that is why I am a TEACHER and not a mayor or CEO of a major corporation (or even my own business). People have to work in a team, and each person must know, realize, and respect what he can and cannot do. It does not make one person better or worse. It just means there are some skills better left to others.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.