User Tag List

View Poll Results: Western Mainstream Media is?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fair and Balanced

0 0%
  • Relatively Fair and Balanced

14 35.00%
  • Largely Propaganda

26 65.00%
First 2345 Last

Thread: Western Media

MBTI
    INTP

The problems with the Groseclose/Milyo study of media bias

Left-leaning sentiments are simply cooler and sexier. There has to be a reason that human interest stories have been so popular for so long. I can only assume that it's because most humans find them interesting. Personally, they make me gag.
    I don't see the connection between the left and 'human interest' garbage. In fact, I tend to make the opposite connection. Funny, that.

IT BURNS!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by V Profane View Post

I don't see the connection between the left and 'human interest' garbage. In fact, I tend to make the opposite connection. Funny, that.
    I don't speak for the UK left, but the US left is generally the more sentimental end of the spectrum. Any story that can bring about sympathy or "promote awareness" is usually more appropriate for a left-wing agenda than a right-wing one.
    "Hobo Steve can't hold down a job because he's African-American, wheelchair bound and has a learning disability. Poor hobo steve! And the crappy republicans want to make a law against "aggressive panhandling". What will he do then?" *cut to reporter trying to interview senator while he's trying to mow his front lawn* "Senator Bob, why do you hate homeless people? Why are you running away from the truth, senator? Come back here!" "Senator Bob could not be reached for comment"

edit: the writer of the "stuff white people like" blog finds lots of good human (hipster) interest stories, most of them from the new york times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/us...a1&oref=slogin

"The meetings have had awkward and tense moments, too. Last month, Joan Laufer, who is white and who moved into a house in Northeast in 2006, stood up to express gratitude to a black minister for describing how hard it was for blacks to get home improvement loans and for addressing some sensitive stereotypes.

“I’ve learned two things about all you guys already — why the houses aren’t fixed up and why you guys are riding around in all these big flashy cars,” Ms. Laufer, 55, a nurse practitioner, said.

At one point, she also asked blacks what she should call them — blacks or African-Americans.

An older black woman in the front replied, “People.”

Another black woman, toward the back, said, “Donna.”

Ms. Laufer offended some, but she said in an interview a few days later that she had meant well, that she felt enlightened by what she heard at the meeting and hoped to be able to discuss her feelings about race honestly with blacks. Unlike some other whites new to the area, she was not aware of the city’s history when she moved there. The price was right, that is all, and Mrs. Laufer loved the front porch."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/fa...ker+Hat&st=nyt

hipsters become farmers to make political statement^
    I don't wanna!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

^ Please change user title to Hobo Steve

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I don't speak for the UK left, but the US left is generally the more sentimental end of the spectrum. Any story that can bring about sympathy or "promote awareness" is usually more appropriate for a left-wing agenda than a right-wing one.
    "Hobo Steve can't hold down a job because he's African-American, wheelchair bound and has a learning disability. Poor hobo steve! And the crappy republicans want to make a law against "aggressive panhandling". What will he do then?" *cut to reporter trying to interview senator while he's trying to mow his front lawn* "Senator Bob, why do you hate homeless people? Why are you running away from the truth, senator? Come back here!" "Senator Bob could not be reached for comment"

edit: the writer of the "stuff white people like" blog finds lots of good human (hipster) interest stories, most of them from the new york times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/us...a1&oref=slogin

"The meetings have had awkward and tense moments, too. Last month, Joan Laufer, who is white and who moved into a house in Northeast in 2006, stood up to express gratitude to a black minister for describing how hard it was for blacks to get home improvement loans and for addressing some sensitive stereotypes.

“I’ve learned two things about all you guys already — why the houses aren’t fixed up and why you guys are riding around in all these big flashy cars,” Ms. Laufer, 55, a nurse practitioner, said.

At one point, she also asked blacks what she should call them — blacks or African-Americans.

An older black woman in the front replied, “People.”

Another black woman, toward the back, said, “Donna.”

Ms. Laufer offended some, but she said in an interview a few days later that she had meant well, that she felt enlightened by what she heard at the meeting and hoped to be able to discuss her feelings about race honestly with blacks. Unlike some other whites new to the area, she was not aware of the city’s history when she moved there. The price was right, that is all, and Mrs. Laufer loved the front porch."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/fa...ker+Hat&st=nyt

hipsters become farmers to make political statement^
    Fox news definitely airs more human interest stories than CNN, MSNBC, BBC... They have at least 3 or so shows entirely dedicated the crime/mystery/human interest/celebrity news genres.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Fox news definitely airs more human interest stories than CNN, MSNBC, BBC... They have at least 3 or so shows entirely dedicated the crime/mystery/human interest/celebrity news genres.
    You're wrong on this one. CNN/Headline News has more human interest/crime stuff than FNC does. Nancy Grace is on like 2-3 times a day, shrieking and harrying perfect strangers with her annoying voice and stupid hair. FNC has more editorial-type "opinion news" programs.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Sniffles

As Jeffster and others stated, nothing but sensationalist garbage. It's pretty much Jerry Springer non-stop; only instead of crazy over-sexed rednecks shouting at each other, you have opinionated jackass pundits doing it.

Heaven help you if you have some tainted meat or worse dysfunctional prescription drugs, because they won't tell you about it til the 11 o'clock news report, even then you have to wait after all the standard stories about car crashes and drug busts, not to mention hear special messages from their sponsors.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I don't speak for the UK left, but the US left is generally the more sentimental end of the spectrum...
    If were Stephen Fry I would give you points for being 'quite interesting'. As it is, I'm a no-mark, undereducated heterosexual, so I'll just have to say that was quite interesting, and the kudos is yours to take.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You're wrong on this one. CNN/Headline News has more human interest/crime stuff than FNC does. Nancy Grace is on like 2-3 times a day, shrieking and harrying perfect strangers with her annoying voice and stupid hair. FNC has more editorial-type "opinion news" programs.
    So we have Nancy Grace versus Geraldo At Large, Fox & Friends, Crime Scene, On the Record, Studio B, Weekend Live, War Stories, Red Eye, Happening Now, Fox & Friends Weekend...

MBTI
    ESFJ

So we have Nancy Grace versus Geraldo At Large, Fox & Friends, Crime Scene, On the Record, Studio B, Weekend Live, War Stories, Red Eye, Happening Now, Fox & Friends Weekend...
    Red Eye is a talk show; I've watched it a number of times, since a friend of a friend is a regular guest on it. I don't think that should count against FNC. CNN has Larry King Live, for instance. CNN's American Morning is no harder than Fox & Friends in content, but it's less goofy in style. War Stories isn't soft news; it's a specialized history program. Geraldo at Large is softer news, though. You're right about that one. I haven't watched much of that program, but the description is "people-based journalism," which sounds a lot like "soft news" to me. I happen to find the non-opinion journalism shows on FNC to be relatively non-sensational. The evening shows are pretty ridiculous. The worst one on TV right now, though, is Countdown with Keith Olbermann. That man is an embarrassment. He has become the mirror-image caricature of what O'Reilly is made of fun more being.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Fox news definitely airs more human interest stories than CNN, MSNBC, BBC...
    Assuming every single story they aired was "human interest" how could they still manage to air more than the rest of the networks combined? Where would they find the time for O'Reilly and all the other pundits you hate?
    I don't wanna!