User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Zimbabwe inflation

Zimbabwe inflation hits 11,200,000 percent - CNN.com

When I read this article, I can't do anything but shake my head at the ridiculous lack of understanding of basic economic principles. The government of Zimbabwe blames things like bio-fuel for an inflation rate of 11.2million%. Then it says it's instituting price controls to combat inflation. Then CNN blames the agricultural crisis for the inflation.

I'm sure the fact that Zimbabwe is printing $100,000,000,000 notes has nothing to do with it. The most frustrating part about this is that most people that read the article won't even question CNN's or Zimbabwe's conclusions. They'll actually believe that food, alone, can cause hyperinflation on that scale.

Oberon

I saw a brief blurb some years ago when the cost of a roll of toilet paper passed $1,000 Zimbabwean. The roll of paper only had 700 sheets on it, so it was economically a wiser choice to wipe your anus with the money and have $300 left over.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I saw a brief blurb some years ago when the cost of a roll of toilet paper passed $1,000 Zimbabwean. The roll of paper only had 700 sheets on it, so it was economically a wiser choice to wipe your anus with the money and have $300 left over.
    And if you ask Mugabe's cronies, they'll tell you that it's racist white economists and foreign governments trying to subvert their sovereignty. I really feel for the average people in that country. They are being killed by these lunatic policies.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Mugabe himself, meanwhile, rides above the economic storm because of his holdings in Zimbabwean mining. While the rest of the country deals with his ridiculous paper, he's dealing in precious metals and foreign currency.

MBTI
    INTP

stuff like this makes you wonder what hope there is for back-assward countries like this. theyve been given the tools of the 21st century but have little to no idea how or when to use them.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    stuff like this makes you wonder what hope there is for back-assward countries like this. theyve been given the tools of the 21st century but have little to no idea how or when to use them.
    Actually, their government has a perfect idea of how to use them...to get rich, and keep people loyal to them.

As for their inflation, it's completely ridiculous, and caused by insanely stupid policy. Hmm, we don't have enough money in the treasury, I've got an idea! We'll just print more money, no one will know, right? Wrong.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTJ

The question is why we care. Cut off all foreign aid, ignore Mugabe, trade when it's only beneficial, and watch the country implode. When it does, we move in and take over their natural resources or get them at fire-sale prices.

It doesn't matter if you feel for the people or not. Your feelings aren't going to help them. Tax dollars might, but there's no point in spending them to help such backwards people when we every nation has its own issues to solve.

Let the Zims live as they can (or can't). And after the dust clears from the implosion of whatever establishment exists there, we have easy pickings.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    The question is why we care. Cut off all foreign aid, ignore Mugabe, trade when it's only beneficial, and watch the country implode. When it does, we move in and take over their natural resources or get them at fire-sale prices.

It doesn't matter if you feel for the people or not. Your feelings aren't going to help them. Tax dollars might, but there's no point in spending them to help such backwards people when we every nation has its own issues to solve.

Let the Zims live as they can (or can't). And after the dust clears from the implosion of whatever establishment exists there, we have easy pickings.
    I am in favor of cutting off all foreign aid that isn't private, but I am never in favor of embargoes. I know my feelings won't do anything for them, but I plan on doing a lot of charity work later in life. There is no reason other than crap governance and kleptocracy that Zimbabweans should be so badly off right now. As for their resources, well, I hope that both black and white Zimbabweans can have a decent shot at making something of their country. If they need foreign corporations to help, then so be it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am in favor of cutting off all foreign aid that isn't private, but I am never in favor of embargoes. I know my feelings won't do anything for them, but I plan on doing a lot of charity work later in life. There is no reason other than crap governance and kleptocracy that Zimbabweans should be so badly off right now. As for their resources, well, I hope that both black and white Zimbabweans can have a decent shot at making something of their country. If they need foreign corporations to help, then so be it.
    I am in favor of cutting off all aid period--even aid that *is* private, which is why I am highly disappointed in Bill Gates and Warren Buffett for trying to fight all of the problems in Africa when there are plenty here to solve in the states. We already have vaccines for malaria, and certainly there are people with AIDS here in the states that would probably be willing to try a new drug if it meant a chance at a better lifestyle.

As for hoping black and white Zims have a chance to make something of their country, why do you hope? What's the point? As if your hope will change something? Spend your mental energy on something you have a chance of changing and apply yourself, rather than worrying about Joe Zim. If they can't live on their own, then death is their lot.

Why have we, now with the advent of technology and a flexible medium of exchange (the dollar) chosen to forsake that which has brought us to this prosperous point, which is biological and social Darwinism?

On the one hand, sure, it's nice as to what the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation does. But on the other, it's an absolute travesty of the wasting of vast fortunes if Bill Gates and Warren Buffett think that they can make problems go away simply by throwing money at them.

The whole idea of "minority scholarships" is also ridiculous. What does it matter what skin color or ethnicity you are? If you have the merit, you have the merit. If Joe White and Jamal Black take the same courses and come out with the same GPA, if it comes to hiring one of the two, I'm not going to say "well, Jamal came from a worse background, so he did better". I'm going to flip a coin.

If there's one charity I *do* support wholeheartedly and fervently, it's Math for America. For several reasons: one, it doesn't try and bring prosperity and a better standard of living to the world. The world sucks. Fuck the world. America has saved the world. Twice. Once at the end of both World Wars. What has it gotten for it sixty years down the line? Worldwide enmity. So I'm glad this charity stays here in AMERICA. The world can go fuck itself. America owes it NOTHING.

Second of all: it's trying to educate the American populace, so it becomes more knowledgeable and more productive. When it really comes down to it, the second industrial revolution, which will be the effort to end our dependence on fossil fuels, meaning zero-emissions transportation and renewable energy--will all take mathematically-based disciplines. Engineering is applied science which is applied mathematics. And those mathematics must be learned before college, which this charity sets out to do.

One day, I hope to have a seat on that board--hopefully before the founder, the man, the myth, and the legend, James Simons, leaves the scene once and for all (he's 70 for crying out loud! I want to shake hands with that man!).

So for now, my hat is off to this foundation. Later on, I myself hope to be much more involved, so I can have a more contributing role in the improvement of AMERICA--and to also drill it into people's heads that they owe the poor schmucks of this world NOTHING.

America has tried to play superhero for far too long, and it hasn't worked, so I say now we do the opposite and flip everyone the bird, and go about our own business, and keep all of our charities within our own borders, spending our resources abroad only when it directly benefits us (and not as a token of good will), and not a penny more.

Oh, and put the UN building to another use. Why the heck are we hosting heads of state that can't stand us? Kick them the hell out of here--the UN is the United Nothing. Let them find an HQ in Africa or wherever Kofi Anand is from. The only thing they do is provide a stage for lunatics like Mahmut Amanutjob to rave about the downfall of America and Israel. Why the heck are we granting them the stage for that?

Let the world rot, and when it implodes, we take our pickings for fire-sale prices.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^