User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Legality of euthanasia

Since there are threads on abortion and infanticide doing the rounds, I wanted to discuss death in a more broader aspect, and not limit it to age.

When I get older, if I start showing the early signs of dementia, I do not wish to be reduced to a mere existence, rather than living, and be a burden on others. If there is no method where I am allowed to end my life as painlessly as possible, as comfortably as possible, with no legal recourse towards anyone that assists me, I would want to kill myself by more traditional, less reliable means to avoid the horror that would slowly await me. Likewise, if I am in an accident that leaves me braindead, I want my life support to be switched off.

I've seen others suffer. I saw my grandad in agony as his cancer slowly and painfully killed him. I've seen another relative slowly decline from Alzheimer's. If a person gives a statement that they wish for their life to be ended if their health declines in such a way, is it a failure to care if that wish is not honoured? Should the law reflect this?

If euthanasia laws were enacted, how could the system work to prevent abuse as much as possible? If you oppose such laws, why? How could the problems in the way be tackled?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Well, doctors generally know what the most likely outcome is for a certain disease. Like they know if they diagnose you with stage four lung cancer you probably will have to fight to even live five years. Before a patient is allowed to go through with medically assisted euthanasia, they could have to go before a review panel of some sort, to see why they want to go through with it and to decide if this is just an immediate reaction to a hard diagnosis or whether they have really thought it through and are serious about it. Decide what the reasons are for this decision, especially if the decision is for another person.

Honestly though at the end of the day, if it is for the same person asking, it is their body, their choice. If a diagnosis is terminal, why would they want to go through with all of the medical expenses, pain, and stress on their family just to die painfully anyway.

There are cases though of children wanting to go through with euthanasia, and that is where I suppose you get into issues of competency, does this person understand what exactly death entails? There may also be issues in play about caregivers who just do not want to deal with taking care of a disabled relative, and might fight to have someone who could survive medically on their own euthanised. This could end up leading to definitions of what is acceptable to euthanize getting more and more flexible until we end up having some sort of mass eugenics movement leading to large portions of the population being wiped out...

Anyways... Yeah a review board is probably a good idea, it would be a slippery slope. Personally though I am for it, if I was given a terminal diagnosis I would would like the choice to live or die on my own terms.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I'm not sure where you are from but in the United States a girl by the name of Brittany Maynard was able to choose death then die a painful death due to brain cancer.

Brittany Maynard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote me.

I mean... Wait, what?

"You have to make the right choice. As long as you don’t choose, everything remains possible”-9 Year Old Nemo"

“In chess, it’s called Zugzwang… when the only viable move, is not to move at all.”- 9 Year Old Nemo
    Likes Hard, yama liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I fully support euthanasia. I honestly find people who want to restrict it or prevent it to be needlessly cruel.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Life is nothing but decisions. Death should be added to that list.
    Quote me.

I mean... Wait, what?

"You have to make the right choice. As long as you don’t choose, everything remains possible”-9 Year Old Nemo"

“In chess, it’s called Zugzwang… when the only viable move, is not to move at all.”- 9 Year Old Nemo

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Anyone have an actual problem with euthanasia? It would be interesting to hear from them

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I honestly find people who want to restrict it or prevent it to be needlessly cruel.
    I couldn't find the right words to express my thoughts until I came across these.

Those who want to prevent it have good intentions, but those intentions don't seem to jive with the primary stakeholders' reality.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Hard liked this post

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Anyone have an actual problem with euthanasia? It would be interesting to hear from them
    I can think of two:
    1. Medical Traditionalism: While suicide might very well be a human right (And I believe it is), do hospitals have a right to require their employees to kill? Euthanasia requires someone to assist in killing you, potentially making it part of a doctor's job requirements, which is a problem, because a lot of doctors take a very conservative approach to the Hippocratic oath.
    2. Long term benefit: This one is harder to swallow, but I have found this useful when considering the impact of climate change vs the economical impact of heavier regulations. The notion that we must care not just for the benefit of those who exist today but also for the benefit of future generations. Keeping people alive despite a lack of any effective treatment creates a market share for treatments that would be effective - if everyone (Or simply a lot of people) killed themselves the moment they found out they have Alzheimer, our chances of ever finding a cure for Alzheimer in the current system drop pretty close to zero. Euthanasia might reduce the suffering in the current generation or even a few, but a working treatment can solve the problem for every generation after. Depending on how long humanity will last and how long it can can carry that information with it, we are been cruel to millions, but potentially saving billions upon billions.

In the immediate level, it is certainly the most ethical thing to do for that person, and personally when it's a loved one suffering who wish to end their lives or previously asked for it, I would probably not give a crap either of those factors. But I do acknowledge that there are valid points against it on a global scale.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I fully support euthanasia. I honestly find people who want to restrict it or prevent it to be needlessly cruel.
    Exactly, why should we treat animals with more humanity and compassion than human beings? If an individual has made an informed and rational decision based on all the information available to them who are we to stop them from their personal choices or from allowing them to benefit from full access to the miracles of modern medicine? One of the miracles of modern medicine is painless lethal injection in cases of terminally ill patients. My father in law died of prostate cancer, I would not wish his kind of death on my worst enemy. He suffered in his dying days. I much rather would have liked to see him have the option available to go as painlessly and peacefully as possible.
    Likes Hard liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

We libertarians support euthanasia. It's no one's business but your own if you wish to end your life.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes violett, SpankyMcFly liked this post