User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legality of euthanasia

Level 8 Scumlord Array SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    642 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Anyone have an actual problem with euthanasia? It would be interesting to hear from them
    One perspective I haven't seen in this thread yet. Religion. *backs away slowly*
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned Array

@grey_beard - Those are fair points.

Points 1 & 3 could be easily solved by making it the exclusive decision of the patient - something everyone decides upon when they are old enough to make that decision, not a family member or a doctor. This creates a grey area when it comes to children with fetal illnesses, but it's safe to say they are unlikely to be the key for insurance fraud. Depending on early trials setting future precedents, it is likely that any forgery on the matter would be considered murder. Yes, it will happen, and like with anything else, we'll deal with it when it does.

Points 2 & 4 are more interesting, because they create opportunity to coarse the patients:
    The way I see point 2 playing out would probably be higher health insurance fees for people who won't sign a euthanasia clause. One way to solve this is by making sure that everyone's option zero - meaning government provided healthcare - doesn't include such a fee, and this way commercial enterprises might not be able to compete if they did. This becomes a bit more problematic when the company you work for determines your health insurance provider for you. More specific regulations might be required.

Point 4... I have nothing. The only viable solution I can think of is the ability to declare someone mentally inapt for making that judgement call, which would be completely counter productive because those are the very situations where that judgement call is needed the most.