User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 25

  1. #11
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    Nazi refers to a very specific political movement (a party in fact) in history that promoted horrible ideas and perpetrated horrible acts. Aryan is a now largely unused term for an old way of understanding race that has been terribly stigmatized by its association with movements like the Nazis.

    Jews, for anyone with a sensible understanding of history, have always been minorities, and have almost been discriminated against, often being the scape goats for social problems. They have frequently suffered consequences for this. We know that it is unreasonable to believe Jews are dominating everyone and gaming our system, etc... To think so would be crazy. And again, history has validated that, and expressing beliefs in unjust Jewish rule has been associated with delusional racist movements.

    With those contexts on those words, there isn't a way to talk about Nazis or Aryan people in a positive or defensive let that does not sound terrible, and there is no way to talk about Jews exploiting people that doesn't sound crazy. So all one has to do to make any person, and their rhetoric, sound bad is replace whoever they are defending with Nazi/Aryan and whoever they defending against with Jew. It's universal. This in no way demonstrates that there was something wrong with the original, undoctored sentence.


    I can do this with other words. I can do this by simply swapping the same two words within a sentence, because there in fact history has been different for different people. Look at these two sentences:

    "For hundreds of years white people systematically enslaved black people"

    "For hundreds of years black people systematically enslaved white people"

    The first sentence is a statement of accepted history. The second sentence is the rambling of a madman. Leaving the structure of statements the same doesn't mean they are somehow equal. The insanity of the second sentence does not diminish the credibility of the first one at all.

    But that actually gives this site too much credit. They aren't even generally trying to make something look bad, they are specifically trying to say feminist rhetoric sounds like Nazi rhetoric, and they do this by injecting words like Nazi into it! Well no shit it sounds like Nazi rhetoric now! It doesn't show "similarities between feminism and Nazism" (which is actually exactly what the site says it is attempting to do), it shows that any sentence sounds a lot more like Nazism if you make it involve promoting Nazis and hating Jews.

    Some insight.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #12
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Understood. I thought you might just be speculating and was correct.

    I think the difference is the context in which the rhetoric is being used, and the end for which the rhetoric serves as means.

    Whites are highly unlikely to directly exterminate blacks on a massive scale. Because of blacks' proclivity for violence, Whites' best bet would be to instigate war, not participate in it.
    See what I did there? You could really insert any binary opposition methinks. I'm curious, now that I've swapped in a racial binary do you think you'd have been inclined to post your original comment as such?
    The difference between male and female hormones and physical capability makes the binary more valid, even if gender is more complex than male/female... like I said, substituting binaries with different attributes and historical contexts changes the validity of an argument.
    Likes SpankyMcFly, Passacaglia liked this post

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,628

    Default

    Emphatically scoffing at baseless rhetoric such as this is as cancerous to serious politics as is the baseless rhetoric in question itself.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

  4. #14
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
    Emphatically scoffing at baseless rhetoric such as this is as cancerous to serious politics as is the baseless rhetoric in question itself.
    I think counter rhetoric that causes someone to turn on their brain to assess the underlying argument that is being proposed can be useful. It sure makes *same ol' same ol'* rhetoric jump out at you .
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #15
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Nazi refers to a very specific political movement (a party in fact) in history that promoted horrible ideas and perpetrated horrible acts. Aryan is a now largely unused term for an old way of understanding race that has been terribly stigmatized by its association with movements like the Nazis.

    Jews, for anyone with a sensible understanding of history, have always been minorities, and have almost been discriminated against, often being the scape goats for social problems. They have frequently suffered consequences for this. We know that it is unreasonable to believe Jews are dominating everyone and gaming our system, etc... To think so would be crazy. And again, history has validated that, and expressing beliefs in unjust Jewish rule has been associated with delusional racist movements.

    With those contexts on those words, there isn't a way to talk about Nazis or Aryan people in a positive or defensive let that does not sound terrible, and there is no way to talk about Jews exploiting people that doesn't sound crazy. So all one has to do to make any person, and their rhetoric, sound bad is replace whoever they are defending with Nazi/Aryan and whoever they defending against with Jew. It's universal. This in no way demonstrates that there was something wrong with the original, undoctored sentence.


    I can do this with other words. I can do this by simply swapping the same two words within a sentence, because there in fact history has been different for different people. Look at these two sentences:

    "For hundreds of years white people systematically enslaved black people"

    "For hundreds of years black people systematically enslaved white people"

    The first sentence is a statement of accepted history. The second sentence is the rambling of a madman. Leaving the structure of statements the same doesn't mean they are somehow equal. The insanity of the second sentence does not diminish the credibility of the first one at all.

    But that actually gives this site too much credit. They aren't even generally trying to make something look bad, they are specifically trying to say feminist rhetoric sounds like Nazi rhetoric, and they do this by injecting words like Nazi into it! Well no shit it sounds like Nazi rhetoric now! It doesn't show "similarities between feminism and Nazism" (which is actually exactly what the site says it is attempting to do), it shows that any sentence sounds a lot more like Nazism if you make it involve promoting Nazis and hating Jews.

    Some insight.
    A radical fix to the world's wage gap: why not just pay Aryans more - and pay Jews less? ~ Jessica Valenti

    A radical fix to the world's wage gap: why not just pay Jews more - and pay Aryans less? ~ Jessica Valenti

    Historical context aside (nazi vs. jew) the question she is asking, rhetorically, is whether or not to pay more/less based on gender. The add-on simply reframes it into a racial binary. Her rhetorical question though is the very definition of sexism.

    I think the add-on is also a great play on the feminazi stereotype .
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #16
    Senior Member tkae.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    762

    Default

    From the site:

    The add-on was created not only for a good laugh, but to show the similarities between feminism and Nazism.
    The goal was to butt hurt you. Mission accomplished, apparently.

    Personally, I think it's funny. It's not a serious argument, it's an outlet for the frustration people have with the buzzwords and predictability of feminists that jump on an issue and beat it to death with the limbs of previous dead horses.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

  7. #17
    Senior Member tkae.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    "For hundreds of years white people systematically enslaved black people"

    "For hundreds of years black people systematically enslaved white people"

    The first sentence is a statement of accepted history. The second sentence is the rambling of a madman. Leaving the structure of statements the same doesn't mean they are somehow equal. The insanity of the second sentence does not diminish the credibility of the first one at all.
    Insanity?

    So are we just ignoring the fact that the Barbary pirates captured white Europeans and had an active slave trade that sold them into Africa and the Ottoman Empire?

    And depending on your definition of "black", are we also ignoring that the Ottomans -- an empire founded by North African Turks -- enslaved Christians for use as Janissaries for multiple centuries?

    Both of those were very systematic enslavement of whites by blacks.

    There also is the fact that multiple African cultures have systematically slaughtered albinos to use their body parts for magical mixtures?

    I think what's most interesting is that what you define as "insanity" is based on the cultural foundation your argument is framed in rather than actually looking at objective fact when making your claims.
    "Not knowing how near the truth is, we seek it far away." -Ekaku Hakuin
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...psdunkqmep.png
    5w4 . IEI . Chaotic Good
    Right-Libertarian Minarchist
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

  8. #18
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,186

    Default

    What in God's name is up with the video on that page? I honestly don't understand what the hell is going on in it.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

  9. #19
    Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx
    Posts
    2,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    What in God's name is up with the video on that page? I honestly don't understand what the hell is going on in it.
    It's various zoomed in screen caps of Nazi propagandists & deniers? (it appears) along with pics of Jessica Valenti (Jessica Valenti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and then culminates with the add-on translating a lot of the articles she has written for The Guardian (The Guardian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). It's hard to tell if the zoom ins are of historical or current Nazi propaganda. You could probably pause the video right before it zooms in and do some googling, if you really wanted to know.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #20
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkae. View Post
    And depending on your definition of "black", are we also ignoring that the Ottomans -- an empire founded by North African Turks -- enslaved Christians for use as Janissaries for multiple centuries?
    Turkic peoples originated in central Asia, not Africa.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. What is more feminist: mini-skirt or pants?
    By Elfa in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 278
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
  2. Argentine Feminists Against Jesus [Video]
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 07:37 PM
  3. Article: "Don't be that feminist"
    By Rasofy in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 11:17 PM
  4. Worst occasions to be a feminist
    By Rasofy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM
  5. [NT] Question for NT Women - Are you a feminist?
    By Lauren Ashley in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO