User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default 100 business men write to endorse conservative government

In the UK the present conservative-liberal coalition is making a big deal of an endorsement letter from 100 business men which is suggesting they want the present arrangements to carry on.

What do you think about this sort of thing?

Do you think its just people who always supported conservative policies signalling they will continue to support conservative policies and therefore it means nothing.

Or is it a warning or threat that should an alternative party be elected they will sabotage the economy?

MBTI
    INTP

What is the tone of the letter? Is it anything like "Nice economy you've got there; it'd be a shame if anything happened to it"?

Whatever, if they sabotage the economy then they're probably cutting off their nose to spite their face; i.e., costing themselves money. But that wouldn't surprise me in the least. In the US, the overall economy does better under Democratic presidential administrations than Republican, yet business leaders tend to prefer Republicans. I believe they'd rather have more power, prestige, and control than make more money. When it comes to political economy, there are few rational actors out there.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    What is the tone of the letter? Is it anything like "Nice economy you've got there; it'd be a shame if anything happened to it"?

Whatever, if they sabotage the economy then they're probably cutting off their nose to spite their face; i.e., costing themselves money. But that wouldn't surprise me in the least. In the US, the overall economy does better under Democratic presidential administrations than Republican, yet business leaders tend to prefer Republicans. I believe they'd rather have more power, prestige, and control than make more money. When it comes to political economy, there are few rational actors out there.
    Its pretty much the same, UK labour parties have proven themselves to be good managers, they've proven themselves to be very good and very "pro-business" managers, for what that is worth because I'm not sure how a government is anti-business, unless it is actively trying to prevent business operation and outlawing business ownership like Mugabe in Africa.

Anyway, the massive financial crisis in the UK had its corollary elsewhere, the movies like wolf of wall street and the books about Enron right up until the most recent crisis have done more to demonstrate that there's a lot of coke fuelled craziness in the city, but in the UK it seriously looked like a wild cat action by conservatives city slickers.

They brought down a government in a very public fashion in the way that unions hadnt been able to or even remotely threaten to since before the first world war!

And this letter now just appears to be a warning shot, saying we can deal with the conservatives, we wont deal with the alternative. Labour tried to create an alternative letter with everyone signing it, all walks of life, not just business owners, and they managed it but the media didnt report it.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

More or less:

"Dear Sirs,

We run some of the leading businesses in the UK. We believe this Conservative-led Government has been good for business and has pursued policies which have supported investment and job creation.

David Cameron and George Osborne’s flagship policy of progressively lowering Corporation Tax to 20% has been very important in showing the UK is open for business. It has been a key part of their economic plan.

The result is that Britain grew faster than any other major economy last year and businesses like ours have created over 1.85m new jobs.

We believe a change in course will threaten jobs and deter investment. This would send a negative message about Britain and put the recovery at risk. In a personal capacity we therefore sign this letter."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Wow, I think they read my thread on Why Capitalism Works
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

MBTI
    INTP

They're only whinging about corporate taxes? I'm surprised; in the US they whinge about regulation too. Theirs is a race to the bottom mentality.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

They're only whinging about corporate taxes? I'm surprised; in the US they whinge about regulation too. Theirs is a race to the bottom mentality.
    There's not a lot of regulation in the UK to complain about.