User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default UK General Election 2015

I'm guessing there are a few other British people here, or people interested in UK politics, so I thought it a good idea to start a thread to discuss the upcoming election. Anything about the election can go here, e.g. who you think is going to win, which party you're favouring or which parties you don't like, the upcoming debates and your thoughts on the leaders and their policies.

Personally I think that Labour will win most seats, but not enough to form a majority government. Not that I'm keen on Labour winning though.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

It would be surprising if the Conservatives don't win the most votes and seats as they seem have gone on the offensive and the economy has turned around enough for them to take some credit. They need to win more than Labour does, as they have not won an outright election for a generation. They are going to struggle to form a coalition let alone a majority as they could not win a slam-dunk of a last election. Hence, there are probably going to be two elections this year.

David Cameron went from modernising the party from PR drive of “big society”, free schools, "hug-a-hoodie", "vote-blue-go-green", "the-NHS-is-safe-with-me" before he was PM to being bullied by the right of his party into the pointless reforms of education, health, and promising a referendum on the EU nobody really cares about. His strategy seems to be push through as many things through his first term and hope for the best. He seems to think he is Atlee or something by trying to be a consensus leader, who lets ministers come up with ideas while he just leads. The thing is he is a weak leader and has no backbone. Lucky for him the election seems to being fought on ideas not standard of living issues.

Does anyone really know what Ed Miliband stands for?

Nick Clegg made some very elementary strategic errors of judgement regarding VAT and tuition fees remember. The Lib Dem have not talk up their successes like making the coalition being so stable and lasting as long as has, personal allowance, and their part they have played in the economic recovery. The pupil premium were not nearly as generous as they would have liked and their promises on tax avoidance have been wipe away. So they rightly being punished for their lack of communication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    It would be surprising if the Conservatives don't win the most votes and seats as they seem have gone on the offensive and the economy has turned around enough for them to take some credit. They need to win more than Labour does, as they have not won an outright election for a generation. They are going to struggle to form a coalition let alone a majority as they could not win a slam-dunk of a last election. Hence, there are probably going to be two elections this year.

David Cameron went from modernising the party from PR drive of “big society”, free schools, "hug-a-hoodie", "vote-blue-go-green", "the-NHS-is-safe-with-me" before he was PM to being bullied by the right of his party into the pointless reforms of education, health, and promising a referendum on the EU nobody really cares about. His strategy seems to be push through as many things through his first term and hope for the best. He seems to think he is Atlee or something by trying to be a consensus leader, who lets ministers come up with ideas while he just leads. The thing is he is a weak leader and has no backbone. Lucky for him the election seems to being fought on ideas not standard of living issues.

Does anyone really know what Ed Miliband stands for?

Nick Clegg made some very elementary strategic errors of judgement regarding VAT and tuition fees remember. The Lib Dem have not talk up their successes like making the coalition being so stable and lasting as long as has, personal allowance, and their part they have played in the economic recovery. The pupil premium were not nearly as generous as they would have liked and their promises on tax avoidance have been wipe away. So they rightly being punished for their lack of communication.
    Choosing who to vote for, this time round (for me, personally, anyway) is the hardest choice I've had to make in a General Election. I've lived long enough to experience Tory and Labour governments, and I voted tactically in the last election (which I do regret).

I live in a constituency which has been Labour since 1979, though that MPs majority has been decreasing every time. This election, I'm going to vote for who appears to represent my views the most, which is what I should be doing anyway. Whoever that is, I'm not sure, but I am wise enough to not endorse Labour or the.Conservatives. With the Lib Dems, it is difficult to ascertain their whole ambitions, even though they have been a small part of the Coalition government, since there's aagreements to "we'll vote this policy through, if you vote for our policy" type of agreements.

I'm going to watch the seven leader debate later.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Why do they do these debates? Are we Americans?

We all know they have prescripted answers and we all know they're mostly lying sociopathic idiots. We know this because anyone who isn't a sociopath we don't vote for because, survey says, they won't win.

I've lost count of the number of mouth breathers who've basically said you vote red or blue or your vote has been wasted... Mind you, a lot of those people are talking about UKIP now. Perhaps nidge will have achieved something.

Plaid Cymru for government.

I just want to give bankers and London centric thinkers an aneurysm.

Has anyone taken one of those online tests to see who's policies you agree with more? My wife (a labour party member) was mortified that I had seventy odd percent UKIP. Of course she ignored that I had eighty odd percent labour indicating one hell of a crossover!

Anyhow do we still believe it makes a difference? Aren't we just going to end up with another toff from Eaton who hasn't got a clue what to do because they were born with no spine?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Why do they do these debates? Are we Americans?

We all know they have prescripted answers and we all know they're mostly lying sociopathic idiots. We know this because anyone who isn't a sociopath we don't vote for because, survey says, they won't win.

I've lost count of the number of mouth breathers who've basically said you vote red or blue or your vote has been wasted... Mind you, a lot of those people are talking about UKIP now. Perhaps nidge will have achieved something.

Plaid Cymru for government.

I just want to give bankers and London centric thinkers an aneurysm.

Has anyone taken one of those online tests to see who's policies you agree with more? My wife (a labour party member) was mortified that I had seventy odd percent UKIP. Of course she ignored that I had eighty odd percent labour indicating one hell of a crossover!

Anyhow do we still believe it makes a difference? Aren't we just going to end up with another toff from Eaton who hasn't got a clue what to do because they were born with no spine?
    I've done the iSideWith quiz and came out as 76% Lib Dem, 75% UKIP (the latter must be due to my euroscepticism rather than being a twat). I'm still not committed though to anyone.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

On the iSideWith quiz I had 91% Lib Dem and 81% Labour. Apparently I agree with the Lib Dems on everything but social issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Doesn't this kind of show the level of crossover between the parties though? How many would you say you categorically disagree with? Probably none if you're honest. It's almost like we have the choice between the various shades of beige at the diy store.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    They are going to struggle to form a coalition let alone a majority as they could not win a slam-dunk of a last election. Hence, there are probably going to be two elections this year.
    I can't say that I'm very knowledgeable on the subject, but as far as I know, almost nobody who voted for the Lib Dems would do so again in order to prop the current government coalition. If the Conservatives did win the election, who would actually be left to form a coalition with them?
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I can't say that I'm very knowledgeable on the subject, but as far as I know, almost nobody who voted for the Lib Dems would do so again in order to prop the current government coalition. If the Conservatives did win the election, who would actually be left to form a coalition with them?
    It wouldn't be an agreeable coalition with whoever they do a deal with (if they keep enough seats). The only alternative they have is a deal with UKIP, but they detest each other.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

After watching that seven party debate, I'm sad I can't vote SNP...