User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The discussion about abortion clinic protest/intervention is specific and worthwhile enough to merit its own thread if interest continues.

Edit: That discussion has been moved here: Abortion protests and intervention
    Has it been moved into oblivion now?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Has it been moved into oblivion now?
    I think it served as a wonderful example of what this thread is about.

You can offend to a certain point, after which the article is removed out if respect.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    You can offend to a certain point, after which the article is removed out if respect.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Evelyn Beatrice Hall

"I disapprove of what you say, but if I make the mistake of actually getting caught in the crossfire and become butthurt as a result, I will censor everyone's ability to say anything, and then blame all other participants for incivility." - TypoC Moderation Staffer
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think it served as a wonderful example of what this thread is about.

Which would be cool if that was what happened all of the time.. but I remember a very particular thread where I was very angry and offended, and my thread just degraded into nonsense and ramblings and people interjecting their moral BS into a space that clearly it wasn't needed in, and when I asked for it to be taken down because I was just really that offended they said they were unable to do that. :/ sort of frustrating that it's okay for this topic which is more emotionally charged globally, but when I'm specifically emotionally charged and no one else is really invested into it and it is my own thread I started I get told it's unable to be taken down because.. reasons.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Eh Idk, I say that if you bring it up you should have to defend it. I guess not 'have' to, but you shouldn't be surprised if people disagree/argue. I really dont think this thread got out of hand tho...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Which would be cool if that was what happened all of the time.. but I remember a very particular thread where I was very angry and offended, and my thread just degraded into nonsense and ramblings and people interjecting their moral BS into a space that clearly it wasn't needed in, and when I asked for it to be taken down because I was just really that offended they said they were unable to do that. :/ sort of frustrating that it's okay for this topic which is more emotionally charged globally, but when I'm specifically emotionally charged and no one else is really invested into it and it is my own thread I started I get told it's unable to be taken down because.. reasons.
    Oh I often find myself caring much more about something than others whilst being generally indifferent to what the majority cares about. I agree, it is frustrating when it happens that your area of interest is quashed or your reaction belittled. The thing is, maybe we should just take this as a sign of how far from mainstream we are and look for how that can be best used. I often find I can solve problems that others can't by using fresh thinking. Not being captivated by the usual perspective helps me to find a new way to do things.

So yeah, a bugger but perhaps a compliment also.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Oh I often find myself caring much more about something than others whilst being generally indifferent to what the majority cares about. I agree, it is frustrating when it happens that your area of interest is quashed or your reaction belittled. The thing is, maybe we should just take this as a sign of how far from mainstream we are and look for how that can be best used. I often find I can solve problems that others can't by using fresh thinking. Not being captivated by the usual perspective helps me to find a new way to do things.

So yeah, a bugger but perhaps a compliment also.
    I mean, having more steadfast rules on these situations helps. When I feel like my idea was attacked (aka my perception of being attacked.. no one said anything mean to me, but the things they were saying were, to me, just as mean as insulting me) and I started the thread, no take down. During that abortion thread (I dunno I never got to see beyond the first page) it seemed like Skinny-love was getting 'attacked' (though a similar situation, people expressing opinions that were really strong) during a branch-off thread, and it's taken down. I'm sure I'm seeing it narrow minded in nature, but the idea of saying "we will only graveyard and lock out threads if too much of an issue is being created" or "if it causes a big scene and people are offended or it causes too much drama we will take down threads" would be nice. It seems very will-of-the-mods right now from where I'm standing.

But I digress. Back to the OP. Freedom to do something is not freedom of consequence. You have every right to offend someone.. but if that's the right thing to do is another question. If someone says they admire someone for doing something their own way, and you think that's dumb.. do you just tell people that's dumb? Or is there a better way to word things that creates something productive? Generally speaking, something that is not productive at all is offensive to me. Just walking to shout out your stupid opinion is .. well.. stupid. "Omfg I would never do that" during a poll asking someone if you would or not is productive. Someone saying, "I did this, and if you've done it too I'd like to discuss it" and you butting in going "omg I'd never" is not productive. Saying "So, I've never done this, and here's why.. also I'm here to gain knowledge/insight, or to ask a question too" is productive. There is a difference.

And strong opinions don't need to be belittling and insulting. It does take some finesse but it is possible to state something without making another person feel attacked.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Xander liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But I digress. Back to the OP. Freedom to do something is not freedom of consequence. You have every right to offend someone.. but if that's the right thing to do is another question. If someone says they admire someone for doing something their own way, and you think that's dumb.. do you just tell people that's dumb? Or is there a better way to word things that creates something productive? Generally speaking, something that is not productive at all is offensive to me. Just walking to shout out your stupid opinion is .. well.. stupid. "Omfg I would never do that" during a poll asking someone if you would or not is productive. Someone saying, "I did this, and if you've done it too I'd like to discuss it" and you butting in going "omg I'd never" is not productive. Saying "So, I've never done this, and here's why.. also I'm here to gain knowledge/insight, or to ask a question too" is productive. There is a difference.

And strong opinions don't need to be belittling and insulting. It does take some finesse but it is possible to state something without making another person feel attacked.
    Yeah, that last bit.

I mean, we're all adults. This is a community open to all types of people, so there's a multitude of values and a multitude of perrsonality approaches to discussions... so even the criteria of what is a "reasonable argument" will differ. So work a little bit to not be a total asshat, and listen before responding. A lot of Internet discourse nowadays (I'm referring to far more than here) just seems to be "shouting" as you refer to it.

A little bit of care will go a long way, but everyone has to practice it. A handful of "shouters" can ruin everyone's experience.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah, that last bit.

I mean, we're all adults. This is a community open to all types of people, so there's a multitude of values and a multitude of perrsonality approaches to discussions... so even the criteria of what is a "reasonable argument" will differ. So work a little bit to not be a total asshat, and listen before responding. A lot of Internet discourse nowadays (I'm referring to far more than here) just seems to be "shouting" as you refer to it.

A little bit of care will go a long way, but everyone has to practice it. A handful of "shouters" can ruin everyone's experience.
    Very true. The shouting often is a sign that the poster did not take any time to consider their comment and just replied based on assumption. I hate it when I realise I've done such things.

Mind you though, occasionally being an asshat can be fun...you just need to project that you're deliberately doing it for fun and not for the denigration of others.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

This is something I agree with. Taking a hands off approach to people slinging garbage, and merely expecting other people to "deal with it" is impractical, unless you are willing to tolerate a lot of conflict in your community. If people are getting along and harmony is the goal of your community, it is essential to intervene when garbage slinging occurs.

If someone isn't interested in protecting the feelings of others because they regard that as an imposition, believe me, I understand that perspective as well, but what someone must do is not flip out when "disturbances" occur as a result of this. Because "disturbances" will inevitably occur; expecting people to always transcend that is unrealistic. In this case, a choice must be made between drawing a clear line somewhere (and determining what kind of disturbances will not be tolerated, and spelling it out explicitly), or not drawing it at all. Refusing to make such a choice will be a disaster.

Ultimately, I think an approach that aims at respecting the feelings of everyone can work. I also think an approach aimed at providing safety from that expectation (in the interest of entirely open discussion or some other value system), can also work. In both cases, I care about the same thing: I want the same standard to apply to everyone. I think transparency goes a long way in guaranteeing that this is the case.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78