User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    Would your same rule apply in this situation???
    http://www.lbjlibrary.org/assets/upl...lma_march.jpeg

If not then again we are back to asking who will decide when & where???
    i'm not sure if they marched through residential areas or stayed on the highway. either way, these types of protests, however noble or vile, can cause a lot of disruption, closing streets that people need access to and interfering with local businesses. i don't think the government should regulate what causes people can rally behind, but i do think there should be restrictions on where and how they take place.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pixie sticks View Post
    i'm not sure if they marched through residential areas or stayed on the highway. either way, these types of protests, however noble or vile, can cause a lot of disruption, closing streets that people need access to and interfering with local businesses. i don't think the government should regulate what causes people can rally behind, but i do think there should be restrictions on where and how they take place.
    Some times letting them go disturb the peace a little is less damaging than trying to stop them and having them riot or something which disturbs the peace a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Some times letting them go disturb the peace a little is less damaging than trying to stop them and having them riot or something which disturbs the peace a lot more.
    in ferguson, the governor of missouri failed to activate the national guard and basically did nothing while 25 businesses burned to the ground due to intense media scrutiny and a false narrative that inflamed racial tensions. many of the businesses won't be returning to the area and ferguson's economy has suffered as a result. that's not to say there weren't legitimate grievances the community had against the police department, but one has to wonder if the protests did more harm than good. even some of the residents of ferguson were complaining about the crowds remaining after months of protesting.

of course violent protests shouldn't reflect negatively on peaceful protests, but even non-violent protests can have a detrimental effect on local commerce and the community as a whole. ultimately, a line has to be drawn somewhere. i would rather the government regulate how protests can be conducted than what causes are appropriate to support. nobody wants to see the KKK marching through the streets, blocking roads and disturbing the peace; but if they want to rent a convention center or spread propaganda via various media outlets, by all means, have at it. even anti-civilization rhetoric should be tolerated if it doesn't evolve into violence or a disruption of society.

MBTI
    INFJ

in ferguson, the governor of missouri failed to activate the national guard and basically did nothing while 25 businesses burned to the ground due to intense media scrutiny and a false narrative that inflamed racial tensions. many of the businesses won't be returning to the area and ferguson's economy has suffered as a result. that's not to say there weren't legitimate grievances the community had against the police department, but one has to wonder if the protests did more harm than good. even some of the residents of ferguson were complaining about the crowds remaining after months of protesting.

of course violent protests shouldn't reflect negatively on peaceful protests, but even non-violent protests can have a detrimental effect on local commerce and the community as a whole. ultimately, a line has to be drawn somewhere. i would rather the government regulate how protests can be conducted than what causes are appropriate to support. nobody wants to see the KKK marching through the streets, blocking roads and disturbing the peace; but if they want to rent a convention center or spread propaganda via various media outlets, by all means, have at it. even anti-civilization rhetoric should be tolerated if it doesn't evolve into violence or a disruption of society.
    If regulating peaceful protests prompts them to become violent protests, is it still the right thing?

I mean just look at the countries that actually regulate protests strictly and how well it turns out.

Edit: and regardless, protests happen because people feel they must take action for a cause. If they're resisted, they eventually take action with more force. They don't just merely give up because they feel it's a cause they need to fight for.

The wrong crowd is not going to back off from a police line. Or even if they do, eventually they're going to come back with rocks and molotovs the next time.

Right to feel emotion of offense =/= right to have all offenders silenced.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

If regulating peaceful protests prompts them to become violent protests, is it still the right thing?
    in this case, you're no longer dealing with the freedom of speech, but the freedom to protest violently and revolt. i suppose the issue of morality is subjective. depending on how moral the authority is would determine how moral it is to violently oppose them, but again, that's all pretty subjective.

I mean just look at the countries that actually regulate protests strictly and how well it turns out.
    i'm not sure which countries you're referring to or how restrictive their protests are.

Edit: and regardless, protests happen because people feel they must take action for a cause. If they're resisted, they eventually take action with more force. They don't just merely give up because they feel it's a cause they need to fight for.
    sure. and there are probably plenty of people who disagree with the position of the protestors. but where is the line drawn to maintain civility? not simply to curb violence, but to prevent people from blocking roads and being a nuisance to those who don't agree with them?

The wrong crowd is not going to back off from a police line. Or even if they do, eventually they're going to come back with rocks and molotovs the next time.
    of course. that's why police have riot gear and generally have the right to use lethal force to protect themselves.
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

@pixie sticks

My point is if you try to stop protesters from blocking roads, they can do a lot worse than block roads.

If the goal is to protect businesses and keep the peace yet cops need riot gear, to me that is defeating the purpose and causing the opposite to happen by making the situation worse than if it'd been left alone.

It's like when cops chase a fleeing suspect through the city and the chase causes all kinds of damage and risks the lives of citizens, causing many accidents and the suspects might even start shooting at the cops and hit bystanders. This is counter productive if the proposed mission is supposed to be to protect people.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

One problem, the whole point of having the right to protest should mean that you don't have to pay someone else or use someone else's possessions to do it. If you made people have to comply with this then if you opposed their point of view, all you'd have to do is block their access to these things and their voices would never be heard.

For all the inconveniences, the only vestige left of proper inclusion of the common man in how the big shots set things up is the right to gather and protest.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5(?)
    Socionics
    LII

Even when protests are unregulated they escalate. In Mexico it went from blocking roads and making grafitti everywhere they went to burning government buildings and cars, stealing trucks to move their people and now protesters will block elections in two provinces. Protestors need to be controlled and punished if they destroy either private or public property.
    Likes Crabs liked this post

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kephalos View Post
    Even when protests are unregulated they escalate. In Mexico it went from blocking roads and making grafitti everywhere they went to burning government buildings and cars, stealing trucks to move their people and now protesters will block elections in two provinces. Protestors need to be controlled and punished if they destroy either private or public property.
    There's legal protest and crime, if the government has become criminal then these rules change or are temporarily suspended but even were a government and irregular forces are contending in a struggle there remain rules of war, and those who break those rules are war criminals.
    Likes Crabs liked this post