User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Meeting the cognitively challenged online

This is kind of an off shoot from the other thread which I thought was interesting.

Someone posted that they suspected the poster was cognitively challenged because of the way they were posting in the thread, the thing is that I've seen that a lot, it not necessarily the norm but its popular and it made me think.

Can you be sure of that from the little information you have in an online thread? If you are sure of it, its possible and in some ways I think likely, I mean if someone is unable, unwilling or unready for a lot of conversation face to face they may just take it online instead, its a medium which affords a lot of advantages to someone who is cognitively challenged over more direct interaction, it certainly, on the face of it, seems safer for them, how do you best respond?

I think it makes sense that you'll meet 'cognitively challenged' people online. You are going to meet every type of person online, as long as you go to the right places, as everyone is using the Internet now a days. The question would be whether cognitively challenged people are more likely to spend more time online, hence representing a vocal minority, or if you're going to places that have a higher representation of them. I usually don't judge people based on how they come across online, anyway. I've known a lot of people who I consider intelligent who come across pretty stupid online; because they don't know the online jargon and dank memes.

I would have to imagine that people with true cognitive difficulties would be less likely than average to spend time on an internet forum.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It depends on what you mean by cognitively challenged. Did these cognitively challenged people actually score low on a professionally administered IQ tes?. Or do we just see them cognitively challenged because they made some stupid choices in life or don't share the same areas of expertise as us?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    It depends on what you mean by cognitively challenged. Did these cognitively challenged people actually score low on a professionally administered IQ tes?. Or do we just see them cognitively challenged because they made some stupid choices in life or don't share the same areas of expertise as us?
    I think he means not having the feelz.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I think he means not having the feelz.
    Is that like a disease or something?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    Is that like a disease or something?
    I am starting to think so.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

Visit my Johari:

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

Interesting question. A halfass, cynical answer: it's much like the way we 'diagnose' posters with types.

Online interactions don't usually give us enough information to make a good, solid determination. There's a lot of context missing -- including, usually, any semblance of formal training at all on the person making the decision.

But if someone wants to jump the gun on a conclusion, that's on them.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I am starting to think so.
    I think I've had the feelz before then. Weird that I've found out about another malady from a non doctor/medical discussion. Reminds me of this one time I was at the dentist and learned that a mystery malady that had happened to me as a kid actually had a name; Cold Urticaria, but I digress. Where was I? Oh yes, the feelz. Why just the other day I was all mopey and bumming around my apt on my day off and it was positively horrible. I almost called into work because of 'the feelz'. Is 'mopeyness' a symptom of 'the feelz'?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    I think I've had the feelz before then. Weird that I've found out about another malady from a non doctor/medical discussion. Reminds me of this one time I was at the dentist and learned that a mystery malady that had happened to me as a kid actually had a name; Cold Urticaria, but I digress. Where was I? Oh yes, the feelz. Why just the other day I was all mopey and bumming around my apt on my day off and it was positively horrible. I almost called into work because of 'the feelz'. Is 'mopeyness' a symptom of 'the feelz'?
    Oh, the feelz is not to be confused with having feelings or emotions

The feelz is better understood as a a mentality where this applies:

Quote Originally Posted by RationalWiki
    Emotion is taken to be warm, good and humane, while reason is taken to be cold, bad and robotic.
    Even INTPs can have the feelz. Usually they catch it in their early twenties, and if they're lucky, they grow out of it in their late twenties.

Visit my Johari: