User Tag List

First 3373818283848593133 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I wonder if this thread will reach 100 pages... The amazing never ending thread
    Likes SpankyMcFly, LonestarCowgirl liked this post

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    I wonder if this thread will reach 100 pages... The amazing never ending thread
    I'd hazard to say that it will go well beyond 100
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    And now I'm going full circle.

This is what killed the family. We all work fairly long hours and with both parents out if the house for so long, focused on something other than the family... What we knew as family is dying off. It's so easy to get wrapped up in work and forget things or not have enough time for your children because you're tired or have seventeen things to do in 5 minutes.

We've sped life up so much and made everything "efficient" that the soul is going out of life. Sure we now have seventy three billion types of rose, but we only have time to smell four before we die.

I agree that men and women should contribute to the income of the house so both have pride and purpose equally. However I fear that supporting having both parents work rushes us towards two full time careers and does ruin the family.

I think we should try, where we can, to take back our time and our lives. We often talk about freedom and who died for what and who's written down this great speech about freedom but we're only really free for two days a week. Two days out of seven to see to everything that doesn't progress a businesses interests.
    The good news is that it is actually quite technologically plausible. We already do more work than we need to because our society is currently run by institutions that value production of everything, but especially leisure. However, I think technology is gradually giving us no choice but to reduce our work time. Production efficiency brings down the demand for labor, while population growth increases the people who would need a job. We can't get around this. Maximum employment is going to have to become a thing of the past. The question is whether or not we, as a society, adjust to it wisely. I think the smart thing to do would be to reduce hours and increase wages for everyone, but there are less intelligent alternatives we may choose.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by serenesam View Post
    ....there's experience, personality, etc. Some women just don't have the kind of "desired" personality in certain jobs that only a man can have and vice versa with women. Hence, I talked about nursing earlier.
    First, you are overgeneralizing. Many women don't have what you would call a "desired nursing personality". Second, there are may ways to be a good and effective nurse. Nurses with different personalities will approach their jobs differently, but can all do a good job. Third, the men I know who have spent time in hospitals have appreciated being taken care of by male nurses. They actually found it a bit embarrassing to have women doing some of the necessary things, plus (to go back to your stereotypes and statistics) men tend to be larger and have more physical brute strength, which makes lifting and supporting the (typically) larger male patients easier. (Funny how those people who like to claim women are unsuited for physically demanding work never make this point about nursing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The good news is that it is actually quite technologically plausible. We already do more work than we need to because our society is currently run by institutions that value production of everything, but especially leisure. However, I think technology is gradually giving us no choice but to reduce our work time. Production efficiency brings down the demand for labor, while population growth increases the people who would need a job. We can't get around this. Maximum employment is going to have to become a thing of the past. The question is whether or not we, as a society, adjust to it wisely. I think the smart thing to do would be to reduce hours and increase wages for everyone, but there are less intelligent alternatives we may choose.
    It should be noted that much of what passes as work nowadays is makework or busywork: filling out paperwork, satisfying requirements that have little to do with delivery of an actual product or service, etc. Entire bureaucracies have sprung up that perpetuate, demand, process, and evaluate this stuff, employing many in the process.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It should be noted that much of what passes as work nowadays is makework or busywork: filling out paperwork, satisfying requirements that have little to do with delivery of an actual product or service, etc. Entire bureaucracies have sprung up that perpetuate, demand, process, and evaluate this stuff, employing many in the process.
    I know! That's one of the unintelligent alternatives I was alluding to. Instead of changing hours and wages, you can just invent work to serve the function of work. The is what happens when an institution generated by a purpose has become so entrenched in society, so foundational to other parts of society, that it becomes more valued than the original purpose that brought it about.

Of course, another unintelligent alternative is to just allow more and more people to be unemployed and not provide any welfare to back it up, thus increasing poverty and inequality.

You could allow more and more people the unemployed and actually provide welfare. I'm okay with that, but I don't think it's as good of an idea as simply adjusting hours and wages for everybody.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned

*Ahem* Conspiring feminazi and patriarchal mysgonists alike, you are invited to help the Gender Egalitarian Society write a gender bill of rights.
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    *Ahem* Conspiring feminazi and patriarchal mysgonists alike, you are invited to help the Gender Egalitarian Society write a gender bill of rights.
    Conspiring feminazi! I love Rush Limbaugh!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's called performance, character, personality, and ultimately qualification.
    Think about why NBA players make more money than WNBA players. It is far, far more entertaining, amusing, and thrilling to watch men play professional basketball than women. I suspect sales are much higher too and so once again, this points back to the amazing performance that men are able to show. I mean, if you really think about it, not in an isolative context but more of a comparative one (like between men and women), it is pretty obvious that men do better when it comes to physically-demanding jobs such as for example, construction and even police officers. I mean, it’s almost comical when I Google search “two female police officers can’t hold down a suspect.”

I suppose then, this leaves the non-physically demanding jobs and they tend to be service oriented such as nursing, teaching, the back office, etc. And yes, in some ways, women might actually do better than men but I think that is all subjective anyways. I mean, it’s not like a man can’t do those things and in some ways better too. So overall, in the aggregate, it’s pretty obvious men are superior because they do well in both realms of the physical and the nonphysical whereas the female, at best, only the nonphysical realm. Of course, this doesn’t apply to all women just a lot of women.

MBTI
    INTJ

Think about why NBA players make more money than WNBA players. It is far, far more entertaining, amusing, and thrilling to watch men play professional basketball than women. I suspect sales are much higher too and so once again, this points back to the amazing performance that men are able to show. I mean, if you really think about it, not in an isolative context but more of a comparative one (like between men and women), it is pretty obvious that men do better when it comes to physically-demanding jobs such as for example, construction and even police officers. I mean, it’s almost comical when I Google search “two female police officers can’t hold down a suspect.”

I suppose then, this leaves the non-physically demanding jobs and they tend to be service oriented such as nursing, teaching, the back office, etc. And yes, in some ways, women might actually do better than men but I think that is all subjective anyways. I mean, it’s not like a man can’t do those things and in some ways better too. So overall, in the aggregate, it’s pretty obvious men are superior because they do well in both realms of the physical and the nonphysical whereas the female, at best, only the nonphysical realm. Of course, this doesn’t apply to all women just a lot of women.
    Remember, they kill about 99% of the male chicks at birth.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

It would be nice though if they could find a sport where women and men could compete side by side. It's odd though, even e-sports seems male dominated. Perhaps the male make-up is just more prone to desiring competition and can be matched in individuals by women but not by enough to make an impact in a sport.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes LonestarCowgirl liked this post