User Tag List

Page 74 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Was the 3rd wave of feminism a wave goodbye to jixmixfix?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Reopening thread, but please keep discussion limited to the thread topic, not the thread starter.
    Likes Showbread liked this post

MBTI
    :}

1! 2! 3! waves you're out of the old typology central!!

Senior Member Array

*sigh*

Fine, I'll leave.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That's not what I meant! It just wouldn't let me post only the quotes so I had to put something else in there, so I picked the waving smiley since, lol, third "wave." Now I feel bad.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Well I mean its not like people are getting spit on in the street.

Overall I think society is pretty accepting of all people and all
    differences, at least in a shallow way to avoid directly hurting peoples feelings.

And again as I said in a previous post; I believe much of the reason for this so called 'wage gap' is that women and men generally go about negotiating their salaries in completely different ways. Men are more likely, on average, to try to fight for higher wages. Also, women usually take off more days from work, and therefore work fewer hours if paid on an hourly wage. I believe there were statistics earlier that were something like men negotiated for higher wages 57% of the time compared to women's 11% (numbers are estimates because I am too lazy to search the thread for the exact statistics).

I just believe that that particular bit of information that women are paid less than men is misleading, does not account for all the variables it should, and has been passed around and promoted to such a huge degree that it has become the easy 'trump card' all feminists think that they can throw down.
    So, without using 'trigger words', you have a certain vantage point that makes it easy to overlook the problems. I'm not going to even argue the wage gap, because honestly, it's not my subject. What my subject is the fact that it blows my mind that my ex-boss was a misogynous and homophobic asshole and I didn't realize it for 6 months until I started talking to my female and gay co-workers. It took this long because I didn't have anywhere near the same experience as they did with him, even though I worked in the same capacity and because they didn't want to bring it up because 'complaining' doesn't do their career any good. And I'm sure his bosses never anything of it.

I didn't realize how their ideas got ignored offhand, their presentations were given as little of the spotlight as possible, how easily that can be done on a very constant basis without anybody ever noticing, but very undermining. I didn't realize how common this situation was. Let's pretend this doesn't affect pay, which sounds like a stretch to me, doesn't it fucking suck? Do they deserve that shit? Doesn't it make you angry?

And this is only a small part of what life is like for the people who aren't on the top, who have to begin by proving themselves, instead being started from day one. If you're a certain type of person, all you have to do is not fuck it up. If you're another, then you have to do a song and dance. And this is after years of work to make things better. Why not give 'em a hand?

It's that shallow politeness that covers up the bitter stuff that really matters, it doesn't make it more palatable.
    Likes Rambling liked this post

MBTI

Lol wasn't what I meant either! Stay, chat, debate, post little emoji things!

Senior Member Array

That's not what I meant!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Lol wasn't what I meant either!
    Isn't it though? Isn't it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I NEVER LEARNED TO REEEEAAAAADDD!

MBTI

I'm not saying that there are absolutely no problems with how different groups are treated compared to others, that is not what I meant. Of course there are going to be problems, nothing is perfect and you are always going to have people who are assholes and are completely unreasonable. Nothing is perfect. What I am saying is that the feminism movement to me seems to have been blown way out of proportion. Instead of trying to open all doors for women, the movement seems to today be trying to force women into certain doors and trying to lock women out of others.

Society has made great strides throughout the years in promoting tolerance and equal treatment, especially in the last few decades. I have no reason no to believe that society will naturally continue to move forward in this way and that eventually things will become close to completely unbiased. It will just take more introspective effort on the part of women, than it will trying to force people into accepting something before they are ready.

I am sorry for the way you were treated at work, if what you are telling me is true it most certainly was not fair. I like to believe though that he was just an exception and that most people are mature enough not to let a good opportunity go to waste no matter the packaging.

Senior Member Array

I NEVER LEARNED TO REEEEAAAAADDD!
    Because... you're a woman?
    Likes N/A, Ivy liked this post