Page 71 of 162 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

my floof is luxury Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    From my understanding of the "3rd wave feminism", are we talking about more prominent focus on queer and race relations and its interaction with sexism? I think it is high time that intersectionality (i.e., how sexism interacts with other systems of oppression) is given its due attention in the feminist narrative. Aside from a handful of pioneers (bell hooks, et al), in the "2nd wave", the narrative really was skewed towards white (heterosexual) women of a certain economic class. Which is,.......problematic.
    Agreed. That's why I'm pretty loathed to call myself feminist although I feel gender equality should be a given in this day and age.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

#phreephobik
    Likes Hard liked this post

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Thank you, @Ivy!

Threads on feminism, bound to reach epic proportions. 70+ pages?

Haven't read through all that (not) crap, but, what is "3rd wave feminism", really? Was it defined in this thread?
    This was one of the dumbest threads ever created on feminism, so the answer to that is a definite no.

From my understanding of the "3rd wave feminism", are we talking about more prominent focus on queer and race relations and its interaction with sexism? I think it is high time that intersectionality (i.e., how sexism interacts with other systems of oppression) is given its due attention in the feminist narrative. Aside from a handful of pioneers (bell hooks, et al), in the "2nd wave", the narrative really was skewed towards white (heterosexual) women of a certain economic class. Which is,.......problematic.
    I actually think that at this point intersectionality has gained a lot of ground in feminism.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I still don't see how any self respecting person can stand behind a name which argues for greater equality for one section of the community and ignores the others. Surely what the usual use of "feminism" refers to is simply a push to get more power and prestige for the people it approves of whilst risking flagrantly oppressing people along the way.

This isn't a war. There should be a very low level of "acceptable loses" and a higher degree of principle otherwise it's just another pressure group without much actual aim to make life fairer.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes SpankyMcFly, jixmixfix liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I still don't see how any self respecting person can stand behind a name which argues for greater equality for one section of the community and ignores the others. Surely what the usual use of "feminism" refers to is simply a push to get more power and prestige for the people it approves of whilst risking flagrantly oppressing people along the way.
    So, moving towards greater equality for group A is a move towards oppression of group B? What do you think "equality" means?
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So, moving towards greater equality for group A is a move towards oppression of group B? What do you think "equality" means?
    Equality means not seeing where one group stops and the other begins.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Like the video I posted earlier said- we call it "feminism" because women are the ones being masturbated at on the subway. (And because the name was chosen years ago, and to focus on the name instead of the actual movement is... kind of lame IMO.) It's kind of like how saying Black Lives Matter doesn't mean All Lives DON'T Matter, but insisting on saying "All Lives Matter" ignores the fact that it's the black community that has been oppressed.
    Likes Hard, BluRoses, ygolo, Red Herring liked this post

Equality means not seeing where one group stops and the other begins.
    So equality eradicates diversity. Interesting. Never heard that one before. So, are you for equality? And against recognizing diversity?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I still don't see how any self respecting person can stand behind a name which argues for greater equality for one section of the community and ignores the others.
    Seeing as how feminism, and what it refers to, is not mutually exclusive with dimensions like race, class, etc... the only other section of the community there could be in this case is men. And if there is only one section, and one other section, saying more equality for one section doesn't really logically make sense, does it? More equality for one means more equality for both sections, i.e., more equality in general.

Surely what the usual use of "feminism" refers to is simply a push to get more power and prestige for the people it approves of whilst risking flagrantly oppressing people along the way.
    I literally don't even understand this sentence.

This isn't a war. There should be a very low level of "acceptable loses" and a higher degree of principle otherwise it's just another pressure group without much actual aim to make life fairer.
    Are pressure groups and fairer life opposed things?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Like the video I posted earlier said- we call it "feminism" because women are the ones being masturbated at on the subway. (And because the name was chosen years ago, and to focus on the name instead of the actual movement is... kind of lame IMO.) It's kind of like how saying Black Lives Matter doesn't mean All Lives DON'T Matter, but insisting on saying "All Lives Matter" ignores the fact that it's the black community that has been oppressed.
    That's a good comparison.

My own opinion is that from an etymological standpoint, feminism is kind of a poor choice of words in a couple of ways. But the topic is so trivial that whenever it is raised I assume it is a smoke screen.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

my floof is luxury Array Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

No, it means that historically, Group A purposefully left out Group B in the interest of political expediency, yet still feels entitled to Group Bs "solidarity" with them. It means that, on the whole, if Group B was waiting for Group A to support equality for them with the same fervency that even the most inane slights that Group A suffers, Group B would probably still be riding on the back of the bus to scrub Group A's kitchen floor.

That's what he means.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    No, it's more like saying, "Yes, Black Lives Matter, but I think we can all agree that light-skinned, affluent and college educated black lives matter a littttlllleeee bit more than those who are poor, darker skinned and didnt manage to complete high school. So let's focus on the first group and once we get them squared away we might have time for the latter group, but that's ONLY if some politician doesn't try to MANSPLAIN something to a light skinned reporter on television first. There are, after all, only so many hours in a day..."
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

#phreephobik
    Likes Xander liked this post