User Tag List

Page 62 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 1614

Thread: 3rd wave feminism

  1. #611
    Permabanned Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    More boring. There'd be less to talk about.

    Ultimately, logical. Hence it won't happen. Or am I being too cynical now?
    Will we still get the occasional pon farr?

  2. #612
    Permabanned Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I can't really say what all of those policies would look like.
    But that is the interesting part.

    What would be their divorce laws be like?
    How would they treat rape prosecution?
    What would their jails be like?
    What would they do about domestic violence?
    What would be their policy about free speech in the private sector?
    What would their work place be like?
    Etc..

    I am not asking for a Utopian society vision, but a real practical implementation, with humans.

  3. #613
    Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    14,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I'm making generalization based on objective facts not personal experience.
    No, you are not, though people would take you more seriously if you were. That requires research and evidence, however, not just unsubstantiated opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    This same person is quite smitten with a couple of the guys at work and is quite graphic about her desires. Now her desires are encouraged where as his were denigrated. It got to the point where I weighed in peeved by the double standard. It's well known that the modern man is asked to speak from his heart, be honest about his motivations and treat women with respect. He did all of these things (admittedly more the former than the latter) and was lambasted for it.

    I'm not sure that in either circumstance I had the right approach but I'm also not sure what better I could have done.
    None of it is appropriate from anyone in a professional setting, male or female. The best you could do is comment even-handedly and consistently to that effect.

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Womenkind yes, feminists no. But I do find certain stereotypes about women to be true. For example the stereotype that women are generally weaker than men physically is true. There are a good number of women I know or seen that are anti feminists as well.
    Define "weak". Then take your definition and explain how it justifies treating anyone as other than the individual they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Ignoring the source which prompted the post, why "feminist"? Surely that's generally counter productive to putting people in a frame of mind to look at equality and instead sets them up for a debate/agreement due to the associations with that title. Unless of course that part of your agenda is to disprove the associations and reform the title.
    What would you prefer to call someone who believes men and women should have equal rights, responsibilities, and opportunities?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    What would a society that has successfully addressed the concerns of both genders look like?
    Gethen
    A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
    A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door, and a word that shall echo for evermore!
    For, borne on the night-wind of the Past, through all our history, to the last,
    In the hour of darkness and peril and need, the people will waken and listen to hear

    -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

  4. #614
    Strongly Ambivalent Array Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,192

    Default


  5. #615
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    No, you are not, though people would take you more seriously if you were. That requires research and evidence, however, not just unsubstantiated opinions.
    It's not my problem if you haven't done the homework yourself in terms of research to believe me I'm not your teacher so if you don't want to believe me I really could give a shit.



    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Define "weak". Then take your definition and explain how it justifies treating anyone as other than the individual they are.
    I just defined weak which was in terms of physical strength. No it doesn't justify treating anyone less than they are this is not what I said stop putting words in my mouth. Also why are you even questioning this? this just goes to show that you don't even listen to a thing I write before you stick in your biased opinions.

  6. #616
    Senior Member Array Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What would you prefer to call someone who believes men and women should have equal rights, responsibilities, and opportunities?
    Me. If I didn't, I sure as shit wouldn't have money invested in the stock of a company run by a female CEO.
    The east and the west are mine, the north and the south are mine. All seems beautiful to me.
    — Walt Whitman

  7. #617
    Senior Member Array Eskimo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    MBTI
    :}
    Posts
    5,763

    Default

    Honestly, feminism was a great idea at its conception, but over the years it seems to have turned into some huge attack against men. All the strong 'feminists' I have known have been the most closeminded and in your face people I have known. Pretty much for them it is accept feminism or you are wrong, stupid, narrowminded, evil, ect. For many of them they get so attracted to the idea of feminism that they get blinded to all counter-arguments and begin to just see black and white. Anyways, I believe that many feminists forget many of the benefkts currently alloted to us women, maternity leave, not having to register for the draft, and the fact that in general women can get away with things easier than men can.

    It is funny how statistics are always thrown out that women make less than men on average, while I do not know the whole story on this, I think a large part of the reason logically women might make less than men is because on a whole women are less likely to negotiate for benefits and are likely to take more days off. I think if women want to be treated as equals to men then feminists need to stop portraying women as victims of men and start to encourage from the inside women to improve.

    Also, not every women wants to work, different strokes for different folks, and feminists dont seem to want to accept that.

    Feminism is complicated... I could go on all day
    Likes jixmixfix liked this post

  8. #618
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Yet another generalization. You assume their views are representative of all feminists. By its basic definition, I'm a feminist, because I believe in equal rights.
    Feminism in it's most recent times does not advocate equal rights and it very much synonymous with the hatred of men. You would know this if you objectively studied and analyzed the hypocrisy what feminists have been fighting for in recent years.


    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    But I do not believe women are better than men, nor do I think they deserve preferential treatment, because no one does.

    I realize generalizations are easy and satisfying, but they're also lazy.
    Cool story when the majority of women's rights activists and women's studies departments at universities don't advocate this.

  9. #619
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Me. If I didn't, I sure as shit wouldn't have money invested in the stock of a company run by a female CEO.
    I actually have 300 shares right now in a company that run by a female CEO.

  10. #620
    Tempbanned Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    1:54 "females are the gender that are the underprivileged and undeserved gender". Wrong very much so in North America females today have every right and every privilege a man has if not more so. I have yet to hear some strong evidence proving otherwise. Also compared to the MRA feminists have been the groups that blatantly promote man hatred. If you listen to anyone from the MRA they usually calm, collected and rational people with good arguments to support their claims.

Similar Threads

  1. A new INFJ *waves!*
    By moonlit_reveries in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
  2. Feminism
    By GZA in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
  3. The Ocean Waves: a NF introduction
    By music_educe in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. *waving*
    By Sandy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
  5. Hello :D *waves*
    By Indranizia in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •