User Tag List

First 848565758596068108158 Last

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    honest dialogue is almost always missing from... well... everything

after all, the newer generation thinks that facebook is a source of accurate news... *sigh* seriously, fuck facebook

I do consider myself to be a feminist... I believe that I should not receive different treatment based on my gender... this includes no perks and no disadvantages. I hold the door for men and pay for dates (I also have a saying that I love just because it confuses the shit out of everyone "Ladies can be gentlemen too!")... I expect not to be questioned for my tastes and abilities and their general lack of femininity and I'd love it if people could get over their weird obsession with nipples so that I could someday go topless in public just like men can. I think that both genders should have the ability to prevent pregnancy and should exercise it more often and would love to never hear the phrase "but you're a woman" again. I don't hate men or want to take away what they have... I want the same things available to me and my gender as well (and vice versa... go ahead and cry men, and feel good about your secret love of grey's anatomy and shopping for clothing!)
    Saying this do you consider yourself to be a victim of oppression by a patriarchal system?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    I think 57 pages of topic are sufficent in establishing your stance and my appraisal.
    57 pages of nothing that attributes to my personal life which you judged me upon.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    57 pages of nothing that attributes to my personal life which you judged me upon.
    I think your inconsistancies throughout the thread speak for themselves.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'd love to see support for your assertion that our ruleset here is "the exact same sort of code." The dress code I was referring to goes quite a bit further than nipples and genitals. I don't think I said that I had a problem with dress codes in general, but this specific one was draconian (my daughter was sent home for wearing an outfit she had worn the previous Sunday to church) and enforced on girls only.

I am not accusing you of degrees, I am sure the specifics are not the same, but it's still an extension of the same idea, a manifestation of the same way of thinking about the human body and human sexuality, and the female body in particular (Secondary sexual traits). If burkas were on the right end of the spectrum and church outfits in the middle, typoC might be a few inches to the left from the middle, but you still exist on the same spectrum & expressing the same core psychology, even if you are implementing the same thing to a lesser degree, you are still implementing it, so you should have some degree of empathy for the spirit behind it.

Also, the nudity rule here is not motivated by fear of people raping each other (nor was the dress code at my daughter's school, actually- I'm honestly kind of confused about your whole point there).
    That's exactly what I was saying, though the t-shirts the kid's chose to wear suggest that it was ("I am not an object" & "I am not an animal").

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    I think your inconsistancies throughout the thread speak for themselves.
    *inconsistencies* and no it's just your inability to see and connect facts with the bigger picture.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Here are some numbers that actually are from the DOJ:

DOJ Stats

Part of the confusion is the difference between the risk of being raped across one's entire lifetime, vs. the risk of being raped in a given year. According to the DOJ, 18% of women have been raped at some point (which is in line with the 1-in-5 figure, which is what I've heard before- not 1-in-4). In one year (2006), about 5% of college-aged women were raped that year.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    *inconsistencies* and no it's your inability to see and connect facts with the bigger picture.
    I see the bigger picture and ideologies just fine.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    That's a very bizarre attitude. It's not hard to avoid staring at someone. I can easily understand how staring at someone would make them uncomfortable and why that's inappropriate. I've had a few times were people were staring at me on public transportation and that made me incredibly uncomfortable, so, yeah, I get what that can be like.
    Again, I think it's just rationalization for what someone wanted to do. It was not about being sympathetic to the woman's feelings, and the reality of whether or not the guy literally could stop staring is not really the point. It's just an excuse.

A few weeks ago, a drunk guy groped my girlfriend. The guy was a lot taller than me, but I gave him hell for it. I didn't even plan on reacting, it was just a weird, automatic, primal thing. He immediately apologized, but why did he even think that was appropriate in the first place? I don't care how drunk he was, you can't go groping random women. Was I wrong for getting angry at that, though? I'm not so sure. Anyway, the essential point of this anecdote is that it's obvious to me that women deal with groping and inappropriate behavior often. It's just not something I think about often because it's not usually part of my own experience as a male.
    A frighteningly large amount of the population is way too impulsive. More on that in a moment.

I will say that I have become rather familiar with the kind of harassment that women often experience through some rather unusual means which probably aren't worth getting into here. But I think about it often.

May I ask what your assignment was for? You didn't get busted by the fuzz for dealing in angel dust, did you? I assume it's something you're comfortable with, since you mentioned it. I apologize in advance if my assumption is incorrect.
    Remember, it was an academy. I was assigned to the academy for training. I didn't get in trouble for anything. I used to work for the Department of Corrections. I say it was completely unnecessary because they assigned me for just one week to learn the kind of crap that other departments give you two days at a Holiday Inn for. It was a waste of tax many and a pain in my ass.

But having brought that up, we return to my big point about impulsiveness and thinking things through. In the few years that I worked for Probation and Parole and Corrections, reading all the convict's files, impulsiveness and lack of fore thought was the central theme I picked up on. The vast majority of people in the penal system, be it drugs, theft, violence, things of a sexual nature and so forth, seem to act in the moment. They have a desire, they do it, and then they think about consequences later.

It seems to keep up after incarceration. At the halfway houses, you wouldn't belief how often a guy absconds and then just comes back of his own free will, because he realizes he had no idea what he was going to do. It seems like a durable psychological trait.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned

Here are some numbers that actually are from the DOJ:

DOJ Stats

Part of the confusion is the difference between the risk of being raped across one's entire lifetime, vs. the risk of being raped in a given year. According to the DOJ, 18% of women have been raped at some point (which is in line with the 1-in-5 figure, which is what I've heard before- not 1-in-4). In one year (2006), about 5% of college-aged women were raped that year.
    If only 16% were reported how do they come up with this number?