User Tag List

First 747555657585967107157 Last

Results 561 to 570 of 1614

  1. #561
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    28,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    My understanding and experience of the sexist BS still prevalent in this world increased since I became father to a daughter.
    you have a kid? I figured you were one of those rarely awesome and mature 15 year olds.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy


    by @agentwashington
    Likes Wind Up Rex, Hard liked this post

  2. #562
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    the campus POLICE told me that I was asking for it by dressing like a slut... I DID report it
    If that's the case than I agree that it's fucked up.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    umm... did you read what I posted? I actually DID say that saying that men are cavemen who can't help but to act on his urges is selling him as short as treating women like a product on display (i.e. the treatment you get is based on how much skin you receive... can you blame someone for wanting to rape your brains out for looking that good?)... I'm saying that our gender stereotypes in general are fucked up
    Yes and I wasn't disagreeing with you here. I was just pointing out that demonizing men such as what radical feminists promote aggravate these gender stereotypes for men.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I would not say that one in several thousand would be ANYWHERE near accurate... just as knowledge from knowing people and their stories
    I'm not going to argue with you here because the statistics for rape aren't ever reliable but one and four is bullshit and this statistic should not be promoted. Society needs to know the truth that not all rape accusations account for true instances of rape. We are too afraid to talk about this because people who disagree are automatically labelled as misogynistic or a "rape apologist" and this only perpetuates the problem.

  3. #563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I would not say that one in several thousand would be ANYWHERE near accurate... just as knowledge from knowing people and their stories
    Sexual assault is ridiculously underreported.

  4. #564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post

    I'm not going to argue with you here because the statistics for rape aren't ever reliable but one and four is bullshit and this statistic should not be promoted. Society needs to know the truth that not all rape accusations account for true instances of rape. We are too afraid to talk about this because people who disagree are automatically labelled as misogynistic or a "rape apologist" and this only perpetuates the problem.
    I think our justice system is knowlegeable and skilled enough to decipher the difference between real rape and false accusations of rape. The judicial system is very strict with regards to proof. For example, a woman can obtain a temporary restraining order on her word alone. But to obtain a permanent restraining order she must have hard evidence and proof of abuse. I think you are young, opinionated, and have not aquired enough real life experience to have a realistically informed opinion. I suggest getting off the internet and living a real life. Additionally, who knows if the sources from which you are forming your opinion are verifiable or accurate.

  5. #565
    The Senate Osprey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    8,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But I don't think it's a very uncommon idea.

    When I was spending my completely unnecessary assignment at the PA Corrections Academy, I remembered overhearing these guys who were there for the long haul to become actual corrections officers. They were talking about this one CO who acted as an instructor there who was, for lack of better words, really hot. And she was shapely to the extent that it showed right through her corrections uniform. So I hear these guys talking about how hot she is, I hear them admit to basically staring right at her tits without thinking about whether or not she's looking at them, and wondering if they can get in trouble for that. Then this one guy makes the classic remark; I'm a man, I can't be expected to not do that, I mean come on, am I right?
    That's a very bizarre attitude. It's not hard to avoid staring at someone. I can easily understand how staring at someone would make them uncomfortable and why that's inappropriate. I've had a few times were people were staring at me on public transportation and that made me incredibly uncomfortable, so, yeah, I get what that can be like.

    A few weeks ago, a drunk guy groped my girlfriend. The guy was a lot taller than me, but I gave him hell for it. I didn't even plan on reacting, it was just a weird, automatic, primal thing. He immediately apologized, but why did he even think that was appropriate in the first place? I don't care how drunk he was, you can't go groping random women. Was I wrong for getting angry at that, though? I'm not so sure. Anyway, the essential point of this anecdote is that it's obvious to me that women deal with groping and inappropriate behavior often. It's just not something I think about often because it's not usually part of my own experience as a male.


    May I ask what your assignment was for? You didn't get busted by the fuzz for dealing in angel dust, did you? I assume it's something you're comfortable with, since you mentioned it. I apologize in advance if my assumption is incorrect.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

  6. #566
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    19,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I'm not going to argue with you here because the statistics for rape aren't ever reliable but one and four is bullshit and this statistic should not be promoted. Society needs to know the truth that not all rape accusations account for true instances of rape. We are too afraid to talk about this because people who disagree are automatically labelled as misogynistic or a "rape apologist" and this only perpetuates the problem.
    honest dialogue is almost always missing from... well... everything

    after all, the newer generation thinks that facebook is a source of accurate news... *sigh* seriously, fuck facebook

    I do consider myself to be a feminist... I believe that I should not receive different treatment based on my gender... this includes no perks and no disadvantages. I hold the door for men and pay for dates (I also have a saying that I love just because it confuses the shit out of everyone "Ladies can be gentlemen too!")... I expect not to be questioned for my tastes and abilities and their general lack of femininity and I'd love it if people could get over their weird obsession with nipples so that I could someday go topless in public just like men can. I think that both genders should have the ability to prevent pregnancy and should exercise it more often and would love to never hear the phrase "but you're a woman" again. I don't hate men or want to take away what they have... I want the same things available to me and my gender as well (and vice versa... go ahead and cry men, and feel good about your secret love of grey's anatomy and shopping for clothing!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  7. #567
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    That's kind of a cool idea, but I am pretty sure the idea that it reduces rape is more of an after thought to rationalize a dress code that probably has more to do to with the conservative mindset that isn't comfortable with human flash and female sexuality in particular. You have the exact same sort of code here regarding avy's and pictures in typoC and I am pretty sure you aren't afraid of people raping their computer screens, hell from what I've heard you even apply it to art, and to my knowledge nobody has ever started humping the statue of David uncontrollably, so I am guessing you have more sympathy for that mindset then I do.

    One of the easiest mistakes people make in arguments and the reason it's often so hard to convince people in arguments is that if you are just tackling the rationalization rather then the motivation, they will just build a new rationalization.
    I'd love to see support for your assertion that our ruleset here is "the exact same sort of code." The dress code I was referring to goes quite a bit further than nipples and genitals. I don't think I said that I had a problem with dress codes in general, but this specific one was draconian (my daughter was sent home for wearing an outfit she had worn the previous Sunday to church) and enforced on girls only.

  8. #568
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,193

    Default

    Also, the nudity rule here is not motivated by fear of people raping each other (nor was the dress code at my daughter's school, actually- I'm honestly kind of confused about your whole point there).

  9. #569
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    I think our justice system is knowlegeable and skilled enough to decipher the difference between real rape and false accusations of rape. The judicial system is very strict with regards to proof. For example, a woman can obtain a temporary restraining order on her word alone. But to obtain a permanent restraining order she must have hard evidence and proof of abuse.
    The 1 and 4 statistics for rape was not a statistic that was gathered from our justice system


    Quote Originally Posted by violett View Post
    I think you are young, opinionated, and have not aquired enough real life experience to have a realistically informed opinion. I suggest getting off the internet and living a real life. Additionally, who knows if the sources from which you are forming your opinion are verifiable or accurate.
    I think your per-judgments about me are ridiculous and stupid you claim I have not acquired enough experience to have a realistically informed opinion yet your opinion about me is not informed nor realistic good job at sounding like a hypocrite.

  10. #570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    The 1 and 4 statistics for rape was not a statistic that was gathered from our justice system




    I think your per-judgments about me are ridiculous and stupid you claim I have not acquired enough experience to have a realistically informed opinion yet your opinion about me is not informed nor realistic good job at sounding like a hypocrite.
    I think 57 pages of topic are sufficent in establishing your stance and my appraisal.
    Likes Hard liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. A new INFJ *waves!*
    By moonlit_reveries in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
  2. Feminism
    By GZA in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
  3. The Ocean Waves: a NF introduction
    By music_educe in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. *waving*
    By Sandy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
  5. Hello :D *waves*
    By Indranizia in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts