User Tag List

First 3745464748495797147 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Gautier's Ten Commandments of chivalry are:

Thou shalt believe all that the Church teaches and thou shalt observe all its directions (Believe the Church's teachings and observe all the Church's directions).
    Thou shalt defend the Church (Defend the Church).
    Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them (Respect and defend all weaknesses).
    Thou shalt love the country in which thou wast born (Love your country).
    Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
    Thou shalt make war against the infidel without cessation and without mercy (Show no mercy to the infidel. Do not hesitate to make war with them).
    Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God (Perform all your feudal duties as long as they do not conflict with the laws of God).
    Thou shalt never lie, and shalt remain faithful to thy pledged word (Never lie or go back on one's word).
    Thou shalt be generous, and give largesse to everyone (Be generous to everyone).
    Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil (Always and everywhere be right and good against evil and injustice).
    Looks like a chivalrous man is a Social Justice Warrior of sorts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Also, I see no reason why I couldn't be chivalrous too. I like helping people who need help, and honor/honesty is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Man being chivalrous: sexist
    Man being unchivalrous: misogynist
    The codes of chivalry are not completely about women, not even the romanticised Don Quixote sorts, chivalry in the western world is what Bushido was in the Eastern context.

A lot of what is discussed under the heading of chivalry is, unfortunately, usually just good manners or conduct, sometimes not even especially good manners or conduct but what I would consider average or basic manners and conduct as pertaining to anyone, male or female.
    Likes Ivy, Red Herring liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I studied chivalry in one of my favorite classes in college (Ethics). It's a fascinating concept.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    No, not necessarily. He could just be an asshole. If he's an asshole to women out of proportion to how much he's an asshole to men, then he might also be a misogynist.

Edited to add: a man being truly chivalrous is not being sexist, IMO, because chivalry requires a degree of selflessness and would not impose help if it would not be appreciated. A man being "chivalrous" only to attractive women and not little old ladies they have no interest in banging? Or a man being "chivalrous" by preventing a woman from doing something she actually wants to do herself? Up for grabs. Actually, chivalry would make an interesting thread topic. I wonder if it already is one?
    I didn't realize being a good person was chivalry. I thought it was just not being a dick.
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I didn't realize being a good person was chivalry. I thought it was just not being a dick.
    Yes, well, that's pretty much what chivalry is. It's not about opening doors for pretty ladies.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Yes, well, that's pretty much what chivalry is. It's not about opening doors for pretty ladies.
    But you can as long you keep holding it for the facial deformed male friend of hers as well
    *yodelling* AAAaaaaAAaaiiiiiiayyyyyyyy

by @agentwashington
    Likes Ivy, BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

^You got it.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think what turns some people off about chivalry is the automatic classification of women into the category of "weaker" as in the third commandment of chivalry I quoted above:

"Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them (Respect and defend all weaknesses)."

There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeing a woman struggling with a heavy load and stepping in with an offer to help, IF she would appreciate the help, AND you would do the same for anyone, male or female, old or young, struggling with that heavy load. There is something wrong (IMO) with the mindset that women should never have to lift anything because they're weaker so any time you see a woman lifting something you swoop in and take it. And both men and women have perpetuated that notion, as @Xander pointed out upthread with women in his workplace calling on "strapping lads" to lift shit they could probably lift themselves.

I studied chivalry in one of my favorite classes in college (Ethics). It's a fascinating concept.
    I have to agree, moral philosophy and ethics, especially as pertains to norms and sociology are some of my favourite things to read about.

Chivalry is interesting, in comparison to bushido certainly, although both reflect a male dominated society and culture dealing with masculinity and emerging masculine codes of conduct.

They both lead to the taming of warlike elites through convention. It wasnt a codification of patriarchy or sexism per se but those things were around, are still around.
    Likes Ivy liked this post