User Tag List

First 3543444546475595145 Last

Results 441 to 450 of 1614

  1. #441
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Why are these institutions around though? For what purpose?
    Why, in this age, are they gender specific?
    These are the currently active organizations I was able to find that self-identify as feminist and define it as their primary ideology.

    The American Association of University Women, National Women Law Students Organization & Ninety-Nines are organizations providing women-exclusive scholarships in academics, law & avionics respectively. I was able to find one article from 2003 that suggested a male-equivalent scholarship for male nurses, but it seems no organization has risen to the role - at least I can't find any so far.

    The National Organization for Women, Women's International League for Peace and Freedom & Women's Refugee Commission are primarily political organizations. Notable activities might include, monitoring the UN resolution 1325 which calls upon all parties in conflict to take special measures to protect women and girls from violence in armed conflict (Women's International League for Peace and Freedom) and advocating for legislation and policy that would ensure the safety and well-being of migrant women (Women's Refugee Commission). Out of these, NOW seems to be the most politically active and the most influential in regards to legislation on both state & federal levels, ranging from divorce laws (Apposing the Shared Parenting Act) to wage laws (Promoting the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act). The MRA is probably closest to the male equivalent of NOW.


    There are other organization who also identify as feminist, but it doesn't seem to be their main focus of activities, such as organizations promoting LGBT rights, organizations promoting development in areas dominated by ethnic communities like latino & black americans, etc. I was trying to more clearly define "mainstream feminist movement". There are also several organizations on both sides of the abortion debate, taking either stance as a feminist agenda (Both pro-choice and pro-life organisations).

  2. #442
    sifting Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    I understood the point, that women are annoyed by cat calling. To be fair any women wearing a black dress that didn't reveal her body parts would rarely be cat called just another demonizing video against men.
    Nope, the point is lost you it seems.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  3. #443
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Nope, the point is lost you it seems.
    cool story bro.

  4. #444
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    16,942

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    This is complete bullshit, technology has allowed women to work jobs that not require manual labor this is what I mean by technology. Women only worked manual labor jobs when men were out fighting and dying for their country women had it so much easier than men. This is why you don't see feminism nearly as prominent in developing countries today because much of the work still consists of manual labor and high risk jobs which is something throughout history that women never really had to do much of in comparison to men.
    So I suppose women magically gained the physical strength needed to do all those jobs, simply because their men were off at war? Even during WWII, I suspect most factory jobs were well within the physical abilities of an average healthy woman with little to no modification.

    You should also remember that, until the past century or so, women routinely risked their lives every time they gave birth. I always wondered if men put such a premium on risking their lives in battle because they otherwise had nothing comparable.

    So men risk their lives to take life, and women to give it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Men were much more chivalrous back then and both sexes respected each other and took care of one another needs, I don't think women were unhappy and oppressed at all.
    You're probably right.

    Frankly, I'm drawn to chivalry. I'm glad I live in Texas where there are still a few men that want to be treated like men that love, respect, and honor women that want to be treated like women. Online, I see so much bitterness, hate, and madness it makes me feel so blessed to be around kind and peaceful folks offline.

    Make no mistake, I can do just about everything the average man can do and better, but I'll never tell my man that because I don't want a chainsaw for Christmas and most of the time I prefer not to have to break a nail and get callouses. Give me something soft or fragrant I feel sexy and feminine in or that I can put in a vase to beautify my environment.

    I'm grateful for men that like to do the things I don't and freely give assistance. I don't understand women that are offended by that and men that are afraid to hold a door... who cares if a few toxic women reframe your respectful gestures in order to emasculate you... do it anyway because the majority of women will respect you more for it. And ladies, not all men are evil and trying to put you in your place.

    To each his own, I guess.

  6. #446
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny-Love View Post
    You're probably right.

    Frankly, I'm drawn to chivalry. I'm glad I live in Texas where there are still a few men that want to be treated like men that love, respect, and honor women that want to be treated like women. Online, I see so much bitterness, hate, and madness it makes me feel so blessed to be around kind and peaceful folks offline.

    Make no mistake, I can do just about everything the average man can do and better, but I'll never tell my man that because I don't want a chainsaw for Christmas and most of the time I prefer not to have to break a nail and get callouses. Give me something soft or fragrant I feel sexy and feminine in or that I can put in a vase to beautify my environment.

    I'm grateful for men that like to do the things I don't and freely give assistance. I don't understand women that are offended by that and men that are afraid to hold a door... who cares if a few toxic women reframe your respectful gestures in order to emasculate you... do it anyway because the majority of women will respect you more for it. And ladies, not all men are evil and trying to put you in your place.

    To each his own, I guess.
    Reminds me of this recent news article.

    Boston researchesr discover chivalrous men are actually just sexist | Metro News

    The main thing I garnered from it was that it's a good thing to just be helpful to everyone. If you're going through a door and someone else does, hold the damn door open for them regardless of their gender.

    It's just common courtesy to ask if someone needs help with something, if you think they need it, but ask first if they haven't told you many times before. Obviously if she's 4'11" and her lightbulb needs changing, and you don't have a stepladder or a big chair, you might not need to ask, but I don't like making women feel they can't do anything.

    BTW me and my wife sometimes argue over who gets to put up shelves. But as you say, each to their own

  7. #447
    Senior Member Opal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So men risk their lives to take life, and women to give it.
    I would frame it as men protecting family, even if these efforts are misguided.

  8. #448
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    So I suppose women magically gained the physical strength needed to do all those jobs, simply because their men were off at war? Even during WWII, I suspect most factory jobs were well within the physical abilities of an average healthy woman with little to no modification.

    You should also remember that, until the past century or so, women routinely risked their lives every time they gave birth. I always wondered if men put such a premium on risking their lives in battle because they otherwise had nothing comparable.

    So men risk their lives to take life, and women to give it.
    Factory jobs were not nearly as intensive as jobs in construction at the time which is why women worked them. The fact you think a man would risk his life just to simply kill another is insultimg to the veterens and what they stood for..Men risked their lives in the workforce just as much so that he could support a women and her child. Also im quite certain the number of deaths during child birth were less in comparison to workplace deaths back then and is much less today.

  9. #449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Both conservatism and liberalism are two sides of the same coin ideologies change because of technology and advancement. What is liberal today could be conservative tomorrow. If you want to label them as waves that works also I don't see how that is hard to understand?
    You think that my post suggested that I was having a difficulty understanding something? Why is that?

  10. #450
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You think that my post suggested that I was having a difficulty understanding something? Why is that?
    Because you are the one asking the questions. duhh

Similar Threads

  1. A new INFJ *waves!*
    By moonlit_reveries in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 01:14 AM
  2. Feminism
    By GZA in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 131
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM
  3. The Ocean Waves: a NF introduction
    By music_educe in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
  4. *waving*
    By Sandy in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 08:29 PM
  5. Hello :D *waves*
    By Indranizia in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 04:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO